Boyle Racing Headquarters - Indianapolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Ferner View Post
    Yes, the plates could have been exchanged, but engines weren't swapped on a regular basis in those times. It's possible they transfered the plate from the replacement to match the chassis number, though. I don't know why they would've done it, but it's the easiest (only?) explanation that fits. I couldn't find stampings on the engine, only the screwed-on plate (with screws that hadn't been touched in many a year!).
    If I understand the sequence of events, 3032 was put together with it's "original" engine around 1955. At that time, the car and both engines were in the same place under the same ownership, and the car was being prepared for showing only. The plates, being secured with screws, could have been easily swapped, and, that having been done six decades ago, there would be no fresh marks to see.

As I understand it, there's no doubt that engine 3032 had a frost damaged crankcase, and since ID plates 3032 and 3033 still exist, and one still has a damaged crankcase I can't see any way to explain* what you have seen as other than an ID plate swap. Had I been working on the retrofitting of 3032 for showing, I might well have done just that.

*...Well, there is ONE way, and that is that Maserati paid no attention as to which engine was installed in which car, and originally shipped 3032 with engine 3033, engine 3032 being later shipped as a replacement.

Comment

Latest photos. It will be back on the road next week and on the way to the track among other places.

[IMG][/IMG]
      https://m.facebook.com/boyleraceshop
      www.boyleraceteam.org

sigpic

Comment

From tonight

[IMG][/IMG]
        www.boyleraceteam.org

sigpic

Comment

It looks exactly as it did in 1939. We resurrected the Boyle truck, a 1934 Diamond T, to the 1939 historic photos outside of Boyle Racing Headquarters.
          We will complete this part of the project this week. We started 8 weeks ago .... lots of teamwork and the very best people.
          Next week we begin to focus more on the Racing Headquarters building. When rebuilt later in the year it will feature a brewery as a tenant .... and yes we have Boyle Valve Beer now...... The name of the new brewery is Gugmanhaus.

[IMG][/IMG]
          www.boyleraceteam.org

sigpic

Comment

Ill add one more ... my favorite parts - one of the tool boxes and a Cotton Henning grade modified gear driven 90 amp continuous charge 12v alternator we created for the original otherwise unmodified Hercules motor ...... if Cotton were alive this is more than likely what he would do. Its a home made Gee Whiz part.
            After being MIA lost in a ravine for 63 years its almost ready to carry the Boyle Spl. Maserati 8ctf once again
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            www.boyleraceteam.org

sigpic

Comment

Re: The chalk Mark story...
              I remember reading "500 Miles To Go" by Wilbur Shaw. I read it back in the '50s.
              I remember distinctly Wilbur telling the story in the book. He did his own wheel balancing back in the day.
              Before the race, he balanced all the wire wheels. He remarked that he had one wheel that he could not balance properly.
              he said he marked the wheel, ok bal... Use last, in chalk.
              The fire the morning of the race was in the garage next door to Boyles.
              Typically, the fire department washed everything through one garage into the other. Shaw said everything in his garage was washed down.All the chalk marks were gone.
              Without the chalk marks, he said he did not know for sure that the wheel that failed was the one he couldn't balance.
              But all the other wheels stood up. His conclusion was that the wheel that failed was the wheel he couldn't balance...
              "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
              James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by ZOOOM View Post
                Re: The chalk Mark story...
                I remember reading "500 Miles To Go" by Wilbur Shaw. I read it back in the '50s.
                I remember distinctly Wilbur telling the story in the book. He did his own wheel balancing back in the day.
                Before the race, he balanced all the wire wheels. He remarked that he had one wheel that he could not balance properly.
                he said he marked the wheel, ok bal... Use last, in chalk.
                The fire the morning of the race was in the garage next door to Boyles.
                Typically, the fire department washed everything through one garage into the other. Shaw said everything in his garage was washed down.All the chalk marks were gone.
                Without the chalk marks, he said he did not know for sure that the wheel that failed was the one he couldn't balance.
                But all the other wheels stood up. His conclusion was that the wheel that failed was the wheel he couldn't balance...
                Fred Geyser, Mike Boyles Grandson who was present but a child in 41' has a broken spoke from "that wheel" in 41' that his Grandfather gave to him. A prized possession.
                www.boyleraceteam.org

sigpic

Comment

Ed Dalton who has hauled all these famous race cars all over the country for the past 30 years visited yesterday and unfurled one of the two flags that historically were flown from the front corners of the bed.

[IMG][/IMG]
                  www.boyleraceteam.org

sigpic

Comment

Doug Boles has become a crew member of the Boyle Race team ..... We are lucky to have such a terrific leader at the helm of IMS.

[IMG][/IMG]
                    www.boyleraceteam.org

sigpic

Comment

The Boyle Hauler is back in service 68 years after Cotton Hennings death.
                      The first test drive was a 25 mile run into downtown Indianapolis. It ran flawlessly right out of the box. Just never happens .... luck must have been on our side!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                      Different plug wires go on ... but otherwise its pretty good.
                      The data plate you can see on the firewall is the only thing we really could not restore. It is certainly readable but takes some effort.
                      This has basically taken 9 weeks. Great crew.

[IMG][/IMG]
                      Last edited by Boyle Valve; 04-09-2016, 07:21 PM.
                      www.boyleraceteam.org

sigpic

Comment

The data plate you can see on the firewall is the only thing we really could not restore.
                        I think there are people who can do that for you.
                        "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

"One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by KenK View Post
                          I think there are people who can do that for you.
                          I should have probably said that differently. There most definitely are just seemed right leaving it alone. Typically Ive seen them duplicated but as it is about 10% of the truck is original and 90% had to be duplicated from the original parts. The data plate shows kind of what its been through over the last 65 years.
                          Consequently the parts of the original truck that were not suitable for reuse will be displayed at the Boyle Racing Headquarters building.
                          www.boyleraceteam.org

sigpic

Comment

Today the Boyle Race Car Hauler was out on the streets of Indy and none other than Wilbur "Bill" Shaw, Jr. was driving!!!
                            Doug Boles caught up with us in Broad Ripple in the late afternoon. Two really great guys!

[IMG][/IMG]
                            www.boyleraceteam.org

sigpic

Comment

Hi John,

Writing to you from across the pond and wondered if there was anything we could do in the Uk to assist you? Regards Graham

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X