Indianapolis 500 Chronicle by Rick Popely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indianapolis 500 Chronicle by Rick Popely

I picked up a copy of this book yesterday at an estate sale.

WOW!!!!

Why have you all been hiding this book from me?

I'm only up to 1917, so far, but I am enjoying this book immensely.

I like it. There's a certain historian who seems to have nothing but ill will against it though...

I like the fact that it attempts to mention stuff that happened during the month. Nothing annoys me more than a book that tries to summarize an entire month of May in two sentences.
    Doctorindy.com

Comment

So I take it that DD doesn't like the book?

I am with you on the two sentence summary about the month of May at Indy.

The one big thing I like about Popely's Chronicle are the pictures. I absolutely love studying the pictures of the cars and drivers. It seems that Popely included a picture of every car that was entered for the race each year, and it is unbelievable that he has a pic of almost all of them.

I'd definitely recommend this book to any I500 fan. At last check, copies of this book were certainly cheap enough on ebay.

Comment

I found one at our local used book store...$5. It's definitely worth that for the pictures alone.

Funny how you notice the errors in the big coffee table-type tomes, but the pix are terrific. The Tom Carnegie book is full of them, and even the Rick Mears biography has its share.
        You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

I got it on Ebay for pretty cheap years ago, like some of said ,the photos are worth the cost.

One thing that hits me anytime i look at photos of the track on race day is how much of a race fan God must be, because when you see people pressed up against what is nothing much more than chicken wire on the outside of turn one, you wonder how more fans did not lose their lives over the years. I know that is a weird thought, but it just blows me away.

Comment

I've owned it for a long time, and think it's great.

When the nit-pickers and nay-sayers produce something better, I'll listen to them.

Comment

I also have a copy of Popely's book. I can however see why DD would distain Mr. Popely's work. There are a number of factual errors (look for the car photos that actually have last years car substituted for that years photo). But, on the whole, it is a decent reference. Not as good as the Jack C. Fox books, but not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by The JP View Post
                I can however see why DD would distain Mr. Popely's work. There are a number of factual errors
                Interesting, as Mr Davidson's own book is not error free either! Very few books are, and Mr Popely's is hardly riddled with mistakes (or Luceroed, as I call it).

Comment

Just got a copy of Leerhsen's book "Blood and Smoke".
                  It's only a year old. Chronicles the start of the 500 back in '11.
                  Pretty good so far, but it reminds me of Scalzo... a bit...

ZOOOM
                  "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
                  James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by ZOOOM View Post

ZOOOM
                    That is a pretty good comparison. Since you've not finished it, I'll not comment further...
                    #BCForever

Comment

I can't speak for that historian, but there are different levels of errors.

The larger the volume, the more likely minor errors will creep in, but constant niggling little errors comes off as general sloppiness and also raise a red flag to a lack of thoroughness.

But it's cases where utter nonsense is passed off as fact, which is down to no real research and no fact checking, where true ill will often enters. Things like many glaring factual errors or stories made up from whole cloth (ahem...Scalzo). I love Norman J Crump's term Luceroed . Considering Lucero's background, I have no idea why his book came off useless save for the treasure trove of photos.

Then there are those who genuinely tried, and even if flawed, their effort shows. Sincerity goes a long ways, especially when coupled with general aptitude. That's a good combo

Some here seem to show great antagonism, contrarianism and downright contempt toward actually getting facts right

Sometimes errors are down to editing or other matters. I know of one author who had an entire page left out of his book via a collating error made by the editor.
                      Last edited by JThur1; 11-21-2012, 01:51 AM.
                      "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by ZOOOM View Post
                        Sadly that "style" seems to overwhelm: Scalzo, Yates, "Blood and Smoke", the fellow who wrote the Phil Hill-von Trips book.
                        "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

DD seemed miffed about "Chronicles" for a few reasons...he believes that some of the info was plagerized from Fox's "Illustrated" and for some reason hated the fact that the car photos were shown in starting lineup ("Illustrated" shows them in finishing order).

"Illustrated" is great, but sorely lacking in fact reporting. Now what I mean is not that it has incorrect facts, it simply doesn't report any. You'd get no info about practice, time trials, and even the running of the race. It just doesn't tell the story of the month. Even the Indianapolis News 500 Record book would have a blurb about an important thing that happened during the month.
                          Last edited by Doctorindy; 11-21-2012, 08:47 PM.
                          Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
                            DD seemed miffed about "Chronicles" for a few reasons...he believes that some of the info was plagerized from Fox's "Illustrated" ...
                            Well, actually the whole statistical race information was simply copied - and all the mistakes, too! I can understand why the Speedway didn't like that, but at the same time, it's true that the Popely book is "better" than the Fox history, for all the given reasons. The car photos are much, much smaller, it's true, and while that takes away some of the enjoyment, it has to be pointed out that Popely actually corrected a few photo mistakes, and in several other instances chose not to show any picture at all, instead of a "doctored" one as in the Fox book(s). Overall, it's a good book, and I'd highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
                              DD seemed miffed about "Chronicles" for a few reasons...he believes that some of the info was plagerized from Fox's "Illustrated" and for some reason hated the fact that the car photos were shown in starting lineup ("Illustrated" shows them in finishing order).

"Illustrated" is great, but sorely lacking in fact reporting. Now what I mean is not that it has incorrect facts, it simply doesn't report any. You'd get no info about practice, time trials, and even the running of the race. It just doesn't tell the story of the month. Even the Indianapolis News 500 Record book would have a blurb about an important thong that happened during the month.

Where can we find out more about these?

Dan
                              Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X