Danny Ongais profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post

The thing is, in order for Unser's opinion to be true, there would have to be a reason for favoritism. I'd be hard pressed to see what it would be beyond "Mom always liked you best...".
    Truth is often subjective. Al Unser believed Ted Field's money trumped Unser's favorite son status within VPJ. Unser felt he had done the all of the hard work; Danny Ongais was little more than an interloper.

At one time, Vel Miletich was so concerned about Ongais' predilection for driving over his head that he insisted his name never be mentioned in connection with Ongais' racing efforts even though Miletich was a partner in those efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by editor View Post

Truth is often subjective. Al Unser believed Ted Field's money trumped Unser's favorite son status within VPJ. Unser felt he had done the all of the hard work; Danny Ongais was little more than an interloper.

At one time, Vel Miletich was so concerned about Ongais' predilection for driving over his head that he insisted his name never be mentioned in connection with Ongais' racing efforts even though Miletich was a partner in those efforts.
      As I think you've put it more than once, your job primarily is just to tell people's stories (within reason obviously). For me reading this, the thing that I personally think about is "Ongias never talking to the media sure allowed everyone else to generate the perception of him." Yeah, he had some huge wrecks that kinda define his career in lieu of significant wins, but so did a lot of "more measured" drivers too.

Comment

We stand by our reporting.
        Not a problem...

Comment

Ah, didn’t remember that Ted Field was involved. As Cyndi Lauper said: “Money changes everything!”.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post

Ah, didn’t remember that Ted Field was involved. As Cyndi Lauper said: “Money changes everything!”.
            Tom Gray said it first (Cyndi Lauper simply covered it).
            "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

My memory, which could be faulty, is that Ongais and Mears started at about the same time, and both were the fastest drivers on the track. The difference was that Ongais crashed a lot. Their legacy is that Mears is remembered as one of the best drivers ever, while Ongais is remembered as a guy that crashed a lot.

Comment

As an interesting bit of trivia, Mark Donohue’s last Indy car, a ‘72 Eagle, was Rick Mears first Indy car...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X