Danny Ongais profile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan Quesadilla View Post

His son, Brian Ongais, actually did a season of ARS in 1988 with a best finish of 5th at Milwaukee
    https://www.racing-reference.info/dr...aibr01/1988/IL
    I had forgotten all about the American Racing Series. I remember watching Tony George race for AJ Foyt at Milwaukee back in the late 80's!
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by jimclark View Post
      Which was that? Indy cars or Camel GT?
      'Had his '77 Daytona Finale pole winning 934 windscreen (cracked in practice) as a souvenir for a few years ('crew was changin' it, I asked for it, they said take it away....'did and 'turned it into a coffee table)
      9517_f24c000721_low_res.jpg
      I always liked 934s. They just look right, unlike 935s
      "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
        Dave Despain said during his 1996 Indy reprise, "A.J. Foyt got LESSONS on how to be short with the media from Ongias."

In the 1980 Hungness yearbook, it was mentioned that Danny brought his IMSA Interscope Porsches to test in the early spring at Indy, a very rare occurrence of any other kind of race car on the Speedway at the time. Wonder how fast the lap time was?
        Imagine having Danny, AJ and Mosely on the podium. Shortest post race show ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
          Didn't know he was a sprint car driver, too! I remember when he was best known as being the driver of the Flyin' Hawaiian funny car when I was first interested in motorsports.
          Always amazed me that he kept racing at the 500 after 3 bad accidents, especially the one where we all thought he was done for.
          Bet he wakes up every morning now wondering how he survived to be 70!
          I was aware of a drag racer named Danny Ongias when I was a kid.
          I was aware of a Indycar racer named Danny Ongias a little later on when I was a kid.
          My mind was blown when I found out they were the same person.
          “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Rails View Post
            Imagine having Danny, AJ and Mosely on the podium. Shortest post race show ever.
            Haha.

Actually every time I saw Ongias being interviewed during a race broadcast, ha usually took the time to give a concise, no-nonsense answer. I don't know what more a media guy would want.

I watched the '78 500 not long ago, probably Danny's best Indy run. What a heckuva race! But the pacer light restarts were strange compared to anything today.

In 1980 Danny was off the pace, stuck in a Parnelli chassis while the ground-effect revolution was underway. His biggest moment that year was belting the wall out of 4 pretty hard coming to the checkered. He certainly would have been done if it wasn't lap 200.
            You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Art Malone was another drag racer who moved to Indy car; a Novi no less, as I remember....

Comment

But the pacer light restarts were strange compared to anything today.

The PACER lights didn't really have anything to do with restarts. From the beginning of the 500 under a caution period everyone held their position and weren't allowed to make up any distance on the car ahead. For the most part the system worked pretty well.

When the track was clear again the green flag came back out and racing resumed. It didn't matter who the leader was or where he was on the track; it was track conditions that determined when a restart occurred. Drivers had to be on their toes all around the track because racing could resume at any time. And, of course, the pits were never closed.

BTW, until part way through 1964 this was the procedure at every track, not just at Indianapolis. 1979 was the first year that the pace car was used to bunch up the field on yellows and even then the leader wasn't always the first car in line. If multiple cars stayed out they would restart ahead of the leader.

Tony Hulman was adamant that the 500 would never use a pace car to take distance away from the lead that a driver might have earned on the track which was why Indianapolis never switched to using a pace car during the race.

Comment

Yes, and we all know that Bobby Unser “gamed” the system. I don’t blame him for discovering and doing that, but I do blame those who knew what happened and still upheld his victory...

Comment

Dave Despain said during his 1996 Indy reprise, "A.J. Foyt got LESSONS on how to be short with the media from Ongias."
                    I think that's rather an exaggeration on Mr. Despain's part. Perhaps it was Dave and not Danny? Were I to be interviewed by Dave Despain, I might find myself being a bit curt as well I agree with your other quote here...

Originally posted by dalz
                    Actually every time I saw Ongias being interviewed during a race broadcast, ha usually took the time to give a concise, no-nonsense answer. I don't know what more a media guy would want.
                    "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post
                      Yes, and we all know that Bobby Unser “gamed” the system. I don’t blame him for discovering and doing that, but I do blame those who knew what happened and still upheld his victory...
                      Are you referring to 1981 here?
                      "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Yes. I just re-read the Wikipedia account of ‘81. Interesting thing is that the final decision was based on USAC’s failure to notice that there was an infraction when it occurred. It is an admission that what Unser did was illegal, but it also pointed up the fact that the appropriate rules were poorly written...

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post
                          Yes. I just re-read the Wikipedia account of ‘81. Interesting thing is that the final decision was based on USAC’s failure to notice that there was an infraction when it occurred. It is an admission that what Unser did was illegal, but it also pointed up the fact that the appropriate rules were poorly written...
                          He gamed the system in 1981, but it had nothing to do with the Pacer Lights, which were last used in 1978.

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
                            He gamed the system in 1981, but it had nothing to do with the Pacer Lights, which were last used in 1978.
                            To say that Unser himself gamed the system might be giving him too much credit.

The entire Penske team went over their race strategy the day before the race and it specifically included taking advantage of the poorly defined definition of how to blend in during a caution when leaving the pits. Rick Mears got the same instructions and likely would have done the same thing that Unser did except that he went out of the race early after a pit fire in which he received burns.

Team Penske has always pushed the rules and continues to do so today even under so call spec rules. More power to them if they can find an advantage that others overlook.

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
                              Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post

To say that Unser himself gamed the system might be giving him too much credit.

The entire Penske team went over their race strategy the day before the race and it specifically included taking advantage of the poorly defined definition of how to blend in during a caution when leaving the pits. Rick Mears got the same instructions and likely would have done the same thing that Unser did except that he went out of the race early after a pit fire in which he received burns.

Team Penske has always pushed the rules and continues to do so today even under so call spec rules. More power to them if they can find an advantage that others overlook.
                                The Unfair Advantage Lives!!

Yes, the interesting thing was that in the explanations, Unser’s description of Blending was VERY different from Andretti’s. It reinforces what you say...

Comment

Working...
                                X