Foyt and the Parnelli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foyt and the Parnelli

A while ago there was a thread somewhere(I looked and couldn't find) about Foyt driving Al Sr's Parnelli and then it's metamorphasis to a blue and coyote red machine. Anyway, here is a video from Trenton of Foyt sitting on the pole in that car and the announcers discussing it. (sorry if previously posted)
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Great to see Foyt running up front even if it was for a little while. I'm on my way to retreive the other parts of the race.

On a sad note Tommy Thompson did not survive the crash noted at the outset of the race. Had he survived he would have no doubt been the first African-American driver to race at Indy. We talked to him a little once while he was attending a race at Winchester. Seemed like a really good guy.

Comment

I always liked AJ's Late 1978 Parnelli colors.

Comment

I wonder why he blew up so early? Or what broke. Curious, did they shift for the dogleg at that time? I was thinking they used two ratios.

Trenton was one of the races that I usually caught on tv when I first became a fan in the 70's. Foyt was usually pretty fast there. Cool vid seeing those cars again, not too long before the big ground effects revolution. Interesting they mention Ongais running away with some races that year in a Parnelli, so Foyt had to get himself one after racing Al's. And quickly sat on a pole. I never liked the Parnelli, I didn't think Foyt did much in it. But maybe that was due to other preparation reasons and not finishing, or I just remember wrong.
        Last edited by Coyote; 10-23-2010, 02:02 AM.
        Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

.....'BSJracing, Go to page 118 on Track Forum's "Semi Official Cool Old Indy Car Pics Thread" and scroll down to post #2358.

And thank you for that video.

Comment

I know that building race tracks is WAY down on anybody's list these days, but if someone did I'd love to see another Trenton style track.

Of the cars in the 70's I never much liked that style of car in still pics. But in anger they are just beautiful.

Thanks for the video!
            ...---...

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote View Post
              I .... I never liked the Parnelli, I didn't think Foyt did much in it. .....
              He did have 5 wins and 6 pole positions in the Parnelli over about a one year period. And he finished second to Rick Mears in the 1979 500 in the Parnelli as well. The Parnelli was a great all around late 1970s race car that was very driveable and responsive to driver input and suspension changes; the M-24 McLaren and the Penske PC-6 were also very good in this same time period. The coming of ground effects changed all of this and by 1981 Foyt had his own new Coyote which turned out to be a much worse car that ended up hurting both he and (a couple of years later) Bob Harkey.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post
                He did have 5 wins and 6 pole positions in the Parnelli over about a one year period.
                Against the full field including the CART guys, or against the much weaker USAC fields? I did know he had the second at Indy. I listened to it on the radio, had been at pole quals. Almost a lap down for awhile late, but pretty solid obviously.

Probably the reason I didn't think much of the Parnelli is by 1980 it was already on the way out. Too short a time frame for me to get attached to it. I guess I didn't get too impressed in '79 even with his wins because that was a weird year with such varying field strength. Indy was alright though. (Sorry Mears, for rooting for your engine to blow...)
                Got to watch out for those Libertarians - they want to take over the government and leave everyone alone!

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote View Post
                  Against the full field including the CART guys, or against the much weaker USAC fields?
                  It was against the USAC fields. Foyt did not race in CART until he had no other choice.
                  The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

I knew none were "in" CART but I didn't remember if he got a win or competed much in that very brief combined CRL thing. I didn't think so. My question was rhetorical more than anything.

Anyway, a good video. Very cool.

Comment

In the 1980 USAC 500 miler at Pocono vs. a field that included the Unsers, Andretti, Rutherford, Sneva, and Mears, Foyt started 2nd in the Parnelli and led 67 laps until the engine let go (valve) on lap 85.
                      I was there that day, Foyt knew before the race started there was a motor problem and decided to run it as hard as he could until it let go.
                      “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                      I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                      I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Thank you very much for the link, what an interesting and gripping race! Very good job by JP jr., by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by jandj View Post
                          In the 1980 USAC 500 miler at Pocono vs. a field that included the Unsers, Andretti, Rutherford, Sneva, and Mears, Foyt started 2nd in the Parnelli and led 67 laps until the engine let go (valve) on lap 85.
                          I was there that day, Foyt knew before the race started there was a motor problem and decided to run it as hard as he could until it let go.
                          What I know about Foyt's day was he knew he couldn't run with the Ground Effect cars at normal boost, so he had it turned up pretty high to stay with them.

Comment

Originally posted by chaparral 2k View Post
                            What I know about Foyt's day was he knew he couldn't run with the Ground Effect cars at normal boost, so he had it turned up pretty high to stay with them.
                            Upon further review, that sounds about right (it's been 30 years, so.... )
                            I remember word going through the stands that there was "a motor problem" and that AJ pretty much knew it wouldn't last. Since he was up front until the motor went and it was a dropped valve that put him out, your remembery sounds correct - thanks for jogging mine!
                            “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                            I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                            I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

I wonder if folk's were complaining in 1978 about only 20 cars being in the race... I don't recall any.

"Ooh woo, I'm a Rebel just for kicks, now
                              I been feeling it since 1966, now..."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X