Midget Heyday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midget Heyday!

I dug this up. I was told this was my old man. Look at the crowd! Look at the railbirds! Safety, who cares! Somewhere in Illinois or Indiana...BTW, I am not bragging on my old man, he was just one of a bunch racing midgets back in those days. A local yocal, but that's where the bug came from.
    Last edited by cbreez99; 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM.

I guess I should have put this in Circle Track, Open Wheel...sorry!...mods feel free to move if desired.

Comment

Seems to me to be exactly the right place to post this pic - wow, what a great scene. Thanks for digging this up and sharing it - this is the kind of thing that always makes me want to come back to TF.

Comment

Very cool photo!
        So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Wild guess here - Jungle Park maybe?
          Gregg Sebald

Comment

Originally posted by cbreez99 View Post
            I guess I should have put this in Circle Track, Open Wheel...sorry!...mods feel free to move if desired.
            It's fine where it is. And thanks for posting the great photo.

There were plenty of dirt tracks like that all across the country back then. Pretty much all you had to do was lay a track out in a field and start scheduling races. And it didn't take much money to get started as a driver either. You just showed up at a track with your helmet in a lot of cases and your career was under way.

Comment

Looks like an awfull big track for midgets.
              1/4 mile maybe 3/8...

ZOOOM
              "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
              James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Comment

Originally posted by ZOOOM View Post
                Looks like an awfull big track for midgets.
                1/4 mile maybe 3/8...

ZOOOM
                Might even be a 1/2 mile track. Unlike today where there are lots of quarter mile tracks even smaller towns often had 1/2 mile tracks in the past. Big cars (now sprints) seldom ran on tracks smaller than 1/2 mile clear into the 1960s.

Comment

I find it interesting that the 2 men clutching the fence look to be wearing suits or sportcoats. I guess things were a bit more formal back then.

Comment

Right, cbreez99. Things were a bit more formal back then. You see the same thing in old baseball photos. And thanks for posting the photo.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X