The Novi, Qualifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Novi, Qualifying

Wow!!! The complete qualifying of the Novi Special. You get to hear Tom Carnegie and the Novi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryW5Q...eature=related

--

"Well look who's here!"

Comment

Originally posted by 4 Corner Fan View Post
      "Well look who's here!"
      Your post mystifies me.

Comment

If you listen closely to the clip, as I have done a million times since I bought the record as soon as it came out in the early '60's, near the end of the run you can hear someone say "Well look who's here". From the record jacket the recording was made by placing michrophone on the inside of pit wall, and I presume someone standing near it that made that statement (obviously at a time Bobby was not on the loud pedal). I always wondered who was there.

Just wondering if anyone else picked that up. You can also hear a vender in the stands at times.

That clip is one of the best sounds in the world, when real men drove real race cars.

Comment

That same company, Fleetwood, made a recording of the Charlotte race. I especially like it because of one car's engine sound. I attended many, many Indy Car and stock car races at The Milwaukee Mile, USAC. There was a time, in the early 1960s, Pontiacs were on the circuit. Every time that a Pontiac passed, you knew it was a Pontiac. It had a very much more bass sound than all the rest of the stock cars. This sound can be heard on the Charlotte record.

They have their recordings on CD now.

Comment

Thank you for posting this - seeing as this occured 20 years before I was born I never got to hear a Novi in person or recorded/over the air during the day.

However, I had read extensively about the Novi and contributed significantly to its wikipedia article, which referred to the "shriek" of the Novi. Listening to this recording, I'm actually surprised how closely it sounds to a modern engine. I understand how unusual it must've sounded in the day though seeing as it was a high strung supercharged V8 while most engines were either 4 cylinder offy's or stock blocks.

I was expecting more of a shriek though, similar to how a modified Supercharged SVT Cobra or SVT Lightning sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by drdisque View Post
              Thank you for posting this - seeing as this occured 20 years before I was born I never got to hear a Novi in person or recorded/over the air during the day.

However, I had read extensively about the Novi and contributed significantly to its wikipedia article, which referred to the "shriek" of the Novi. Listening to this recording, I'm actually surprised how closely it sounds to a modern engine. I understand how unusual it must've sounded in the day though seeing as it was a high strung supercharged V8 while most engines were either 4 cylinder offy's or stock blocks.

I was expecting more of a shriek though, similar to how a modified Supercharged SVT Cobra or SVT Lightning sounds.
              I don't think the technology of the day would let them "really' wind out an engine.

But, sitting in the stands, you knew when the Novie went by.

Comment

It doesn't sound like the shriek of the Hurtibise car at all..this is a poor example, sorry.

Probably detuned for the young Unser.

Comment

Originally posted by Saw150 View Post
                  It doesn't sound like the shriek of the Hurtibise car at all..this is a poor example, sorry.

Probably detuned for the young Unser.
                  Unser's Novi did have a smaller supercharger, I don't know why though.
                  "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

Comment

Originally posted by kevin99 View Post
                    Unser's Novi did have a smaller supercharger, I don't know why though.
                    The sound of the Novi was apparently much quieter during the Granatelli era. Even before that Marcenac and Welch had greatly reduced the supercharger gearing to slow down the RPM and this cut down some some noise as well. I have heard stories from oldtimer's stating they could sometimes hear the Novi engine in running in practice on the east side of Indianapolis when the wind was just right during the late 1940s.

Comment

For contrast, go to the very bottom of this page and there is a link to a sound regustration of the qualifying attempt of Teo Fabi in the March 90P-Porsche in May 1990.

http://forix.autosport.com/8w/march90p-final.html

That Novi was indeed something else ....

Indyote

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X