500 Miles to Go by Al Bloemker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 Miles to Go by Al Bloemker

I posted this in the IndyCar forum but thought it should go here too. Many of you may have already read 500 Miles to Go, but it's now available online and in eBook format:

Enjoy!
    Paul Woods
    IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Originally posted by flyingpylon View Post
    I posted this in the IndyCar forum but thought it should go here too. Many of you may have already read 500 Miles to Go, but it's now available online and in eBook format:

Enjoy!
    I remember reading it as a kid. It sure caught my attention.

BTW, Al Bloemker was the Director of Public Relations at IMS for many years and this book was part of that publicity. He was also the ghost writer for Wilbur Shaw's "Gentleman, Start Your Engines".

Comment

That book goes back to the days when you were lucky to find one book a year about auto racing, any kind of auto racing.

Comment

It was at my library. It is true that back then, racing books were few and far between...that's why we thought this one was so good!

I had met Mr. Bloemaker. When I did, he was quite the fossil! Just kidding... He was an interesting man. I felt like I had met a famous driver.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post
          BTW, Al Bloemker was the Director of Public Relations at IMS for many years and this book was part of that publicity. He was also the ghost writer for Wilbur Shaw's "Gentleman, Start Your Engines".
          Nor did Bloemker ever let the facts get in the way of a good story or the legends that the IMS worked extremely hard to build and, literally, promote. Indeed, the publicity and promotion efforts by those working for -- or in concert with -- the IMS must be rated as among the most successful in the annals of automobile racing. Bloemker, Catlin, and many others were shills for the IMS and very, very successful at their task. Of course, that success did have consequences, many of which still affect American automobile racing.

I took the time several years ago to re-read my copy of the Bloemker book -- the European edition, no less. While I certainly enjoyed it as a high school student, it has fared less well as the decades have passed, its use being more that of presenting the "party line" for the Speedway regarding its view of its past than anything else.
          And so we beat on, boats against the current, drawn back ceaselessly into the past ... F. Scott Fitzgerald
          Ever have the feeling that the rest of the world is a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes? ... George Gobel

Comment

Originally posted by Don Capps View Post
            Nor did Bloemker ever let the facts get in the way of a good story or the legends that the IMS worked extremely hard to build and, literally, promote. Indeed, the publicity and promotion efforts by those working for -- or in concert with -- the IMS must be rated as among the most successful in the annals of automobile racing. .....
            Very true, Don. The best example of this may be the myth promoted by the Shaw book that he may have originated the "long standing" tradition of giving the command, "Gentleman, Start Your Engines" before the start of the 500. I think it even mentions in the book that Shaw had given the command starting with the 1946 race when in reality he gave the command twice (at the most). And he certainly didn't originate it although Bloemker sure makes it sound like it. In fairness, Bloemker was instrumental in helping to establish some of the long standing 500 traditions that still survive to this day and many people look forward to during the prerace ceremonies. Although he was originally a writer he was also very skilled at very effectively publicizing the 500 for the media of the day and did so in a very subtle almost behind the scenes manner.

Comment

Any chance for the second edition to go online? The first was 1961 and second was 1966.
              Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

Unfortunately, the second edition is still under copyright because it was published in 1966 (the copyright laws changed for books published after 1964). So no, it won't be available anytime soon.
                Paul Woods
                IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Comment

You're better off with the Davidson one anyway. Got very fed up very quickly with Bloemker telling the story through invented dialogue. When Thucydides did it there was a reason...
                  "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X