1969 Greg Weld Plymouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Greg Weld Plymouth

After reading the recent TF Nostalgia thread about the Clint Brawner Ford powered dirt car (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...c&daysprune=30) that just showed up at a west coast vintage meet it got me to wondering about the STP Plymouth powered dirt cars of the same era. The thread shows also shows some photos of the Meskowski Ford dirt car of A.J. Foyt in 1969. But the fastest car that year was the Grant King built Plymouth powered dirt car driven by Greg Weld; at least in qualfying. I've always wondered just what was different about that car (I think Art Pollard also drove one) as opposed to the Ford powered dirt cars which were really coming into their own about then. Does anyone have any old photos showing the engine/frame layout on the Weld car? I've seen a bunch of pictures of the car broadsliding but nothing from the side showing just how the car was really designed to run the stock block Plymouth. Thanks....

.....'indyrjc, 'I don't know how it is for some but, to me, that's a very interesting topic you bring up. Greg put that Grant King STP Gas Treatment Spl. dirt car on the pole for 4 out of the 5 dirt track races that year. I think a lot of that was just.....Andy, wanting to run something different. Greg didn't have any spectacular finshes. 'Neither did Pollard. I'm sure research will prove that there was nothing special or 'trick' about the Grant King design of that particular car. The next year, Granatelli built another new King dirt car for Andretti; this time with a stock-block Ford with Gurney-Westlake cylinder heads. And no better results. Looking back, so many of those championship car owners would have been so much better off switching to the greatest engine of that era, the Indy Ford DOHC V8, like Vel's Parnelli, A. J. Foyt and the Jim Robbins Team and later, Agajanian-Faas Racers......'In fact, when I see Andy at this years' 'Legends Of Ascot at Perris Auto Speedway, I'll ask him!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleFauss View Post
      .........Looking back, so many of those championship car owners would have been so much better off switching to the greatest engine of that era, the Indy Ford DOHC V8, like Vel's Parnelli, A. J. Foyt and the Jim Robbins Team and later, Agajanian-Faas Racers......'In fact, when I see Andy at this years' 'Legends Of Ascot at Perris Auto Speedway, I'll ask him!
      Thanks, LittleFauss. I'll be interested to hear what Andy might have to say. And as you mentioned the 4 Cam Ford was definitely the engine to use. Although it sure did make things interesting to have engines like the Plymouth, Offy, and Chevy competing with it. I'd still like to see some side photos of the Weld Plymouth. I would think that it would have been at least a little smaller than the DOHC Ford.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X