September 24th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 24th

September 24th – A day with some good and some not so good, in history.

Bobby Marshman ... Born ... Born in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, Marshman died in San Antonio, Texas from injuries sustained in a tire test in Phoenix, Arizona. He drove in the USAC Midget, Sprint and Championship Car series, racing in the 1961-1964 seasons, with 49 career starts, including each Indianapolis 500 contest in that span. He finished in the top ten 25 times, with one victory, in 1962 at Phoenix. His 7th place finish at the 1961 Indianapolis 500 earned him co-Rookie of the Year honors with Parnelli Jones.

Johnny Thomson... Died ...ARDC/AAA / USAC . He won the 1952 AAA Eastern division Midget championship. He drove in the AAA and USAC Championship Car series, racing in the 1953-1960 seasons with 69 starts, including the Indianapolis 500 races in each season. He finished in the top ten 43 times, with 7 victories. His best Indy finish was third in 1959. Roy Sherman, the first National Midget Champion, was his chief mechanic for several Indy 500s. He was the first driver to win a 100 mile dirt track race in less than an hour at Langhorne, Pennsylvania. His champ car's average speed was 100.174 miles per hour. Thomson was the 1958 USAC Sprint Car Series champion. He won the Eastern Sprint Car championship in 1954. He died at a sprint car event at the 1960 edition of the Allentown Fair when his car crashed through the fence and flipped into the infield. Thomson was inducted in the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame in 1996 and the National Midget Auto Racing Hall of Fame in 1997.

It was almost 8 years earlier, to the day (September 20, 1952), when Bill Schindler was fatally injured – also at Allentown, and both drivers were fatally injured in the same car.

Also:

Kevin Gobrecht... Died ... Pennsylvania Sprintcar driver. Kevin Gobrecht was 30 years old when he was killed in a violent sprint-car crash at I-80 Speedway in Nebraska. Today, the World of Outlaws rookie of the year receives the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award, named for the driver known on the Central Pennsylvania circuit as The G Man. After a successful career racing micro sprints, Gobrecht won his first sprint-car feature in mid-1995, and in 1996, victories came more frequently. He posted victories driving for various sprint-car owners before he got the call from Dave Blaney to drive his World of Outlaws car in 1999. Gobrecht posted his biggest victory when he picked up the $100,000 top prize for winning The Big One at Eldora Speedway. It was his last victory.

Comment

I remember Gobrecht's.

*shudder*
      ...---...

Comment

Also along the lines perhaps of "no so good," 9/24/2000 was the day of the first USGP at Indianapolis.

In hindsight, a boatload of money spent, a tire fiasco, dwindling crowds, Bernie's drama circus, the track barely broke even, the infield is taken away, and now the race is gone. Makes one wonder if they just would have said 'forget it' back in 1998 and not bothered.
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post
          Makes one wonder if they just would have said 'forget it' back in 1998 and not bothered.
          IMS would have been much better off, and I would not have wasted my money that day.
          "You just don't know what Indy Means", Al Unser Jr.

"That's why to me it does feel more precious when an American wins it...", Michael Andretti

Comment

Johnny was something to behold on the race track! I still miss him!
            "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
            body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
            "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
            >

Comment

I was a Marshman fan. I was a teenager when he died. It was a sad day for me.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X