Last Two seater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Two seater?

What was the last two seat car to win Indy?

The year and the driver........

NO FAIR LOOK'IN IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZOOOM
    "Doc, just set them fingers sose I can hold the wheel"
    James Hurtubise, June, 1964

Then again, there was a car driven by two different people that won at Indy. But, they did not drive at the same time.

Comment

Nah.... That car was yellow...

This one isn't
      ZOOOM

Comment

Wilbur Shaw - 1937?
        Ryan

Daisey Designs
        High-Performance Card Models

http://www.daisey-designs.com

Comment

Without looking, I'll say Kelly Petillo in 1935.

Comment

Originally posted by nx13688
            Wilbur Shaw - 1937?
            ...thats what I'm thinking too

Comment

It was Shaw in 1937 in his paycar...

The car came back in '38, '39, '40,'41 but only as a single seater, and of course, did NOT win again.
              Congrats!

ZOOOM

Comment

Originally posted by ZOOOM
                It was Shaw in 1937 in his paycar...

The car came back in '38, '39, '40,'41 but only as a single seater, and of course, did NOT win again.
                Congrats!

ZOOOM
                It was actually back several more times at the Speedway. George Metzler crashed and was killed in the car in 1949. And it also raced on the Championship Trail as well where George Barringer was also killed in the car at Atlanta in 1946. The car was apparently actually at Indianapolis as late as 1951.

Comment

It was Shaw in '37. Jigger Johnson was the riding mechanic. He had also ridden with Lou Meyer on an Indy win. Johnson was the only riding mechanic to win Indy with two different drivers and Shaw was the only driver to win Indy in a two seater and a single seater.
                  Dwight Clock

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc
                    It was actually back several more times at the Speedway. George Metzler crashed and was killed in the car in 1949. And it also raced on the Championship Trail as well where George Barringer was also killed in the car at Atlanta in 1946. The car was apparently actually at Indianapolis as late as 1951.

So... Can we call it the first of the hoodo wagons?
                    ZOOOM

Comment

About a year and a half ago I found a copy of GSYE and immediately read it cover to cover.
                      Then just for good measure, I read it again.

Zoom...
                      I always thought a hoodoo wagon was a green car? Does that name also apply to a car that taken more than one life?

Comment

Originally posted by Indy500fanatic
                        About a year and a half ago I found a copy of GSYE and immediately read it cover to cover.
                        Then just for good measure, I read it again.

Zoom...
                        I always thought a hoodoo wagon was a green car? Does that name also apply to a car that taken more than one life?
                        Is that where the Green Car superstion came from? My first Indy experiance was listening to the 1963 500 and rooting for Jimmy Clark and his green Lotus/Ford. I recall the green car hoodoo but I never knew where it came from. I was 11 at the time.

Comment

Does that car still exist? I believe it looked completely different when wrecked by Metzler. It would be quite the find if it was still around.
                          Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by tcsparky
                            Is that where the Green Car superstion came from? My first Indy experiance was listening to the 1963 500 and rooting for Jimmy Clark and his green Lotus/Ford. I recall the green car hoodoo but I never knew where it came from. I was 11 at the time.
                            I first heard the term used in "The Big Wheel"...'Vic' to 'Billy': "stay away from me in that hoodoo wagon or I'll put you through the fence"!! They had said earlier it was a green car before 'Billy' accepted it.
                            Thats why I was curious about the possible duality of the name.

Comment

During the thirty's and forty's the slang for a car that brought bad luck, was a hoodo wagon.
                              Other supersticions were peanuts, somebody got a peanut jammed in the throttle spring (so the story goes), and the color green (no particular reason).
                              It was also thought that it was unlucky to have any women in the pits. In fact Indy banned them for years.

ZOOOM

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X