streaker in flagstand?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• streaker in flagstand?!

I remember well all the streakers in the miserable rainouts of '74, but I don't recall one getting into the flagstand! You can buy this faded AP wire photo on E-bay....
    I hope that is not a TFer back in his wild and crazy days!!
    http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...ats=0&format=0
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Originally posted by Stick500
    I remember well all the streakers in the miserable rainouts of '74, but I don't recall one getting into the flagstand! You can buy this faded AP wire photo on E-bay....
    I hope that is not a TFer back in his wild and crazy days!!
    http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...ats=0&format=0
    The Streak, by Ray Stevens

Here he comes, look at that, look at that
    There he goes, look at that, look at that
    And he ain't wearin' no clothes

Oh, yes, they call him the Streak
    Look at that, look at that
    Fastest thing on two feet
    He's just as proud as he can be
    Of his anatomy
    He goin' give us a peek

Oh, yes, they call him the Streak
    He likes to show off his physique
    If there's an audience to be found
    He'll be streakin' around
    Invitin' public critique

former CART licensee

Comment

I believe that happened right in front of me. Three of us, dad, brother and I were there for qualifying. The guy climbed the starters stand fron the track side. Either going up or down, the guy fell off the stand onto the track. My stomach wrenched, because he must have fallen 20 feet down on his back, and I assume he hit his head on the track. Since I don't live in Indy, never did get to learn what happened to the guy.

Comment

Eeeeewww! Being naked and injured, not a very good day....there had to be major shrinkage as well....
        "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
        "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
        "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I 'uz there. Don't look, Ethyl!

-Calhoun

Comment

He was smart enough to leave his shoes on for the escape! That is too strange. -cap

Comment

Is that the back of King Richard Petty's head in the STP shirt???

Comment

Also note the crowds for qualifying back then!

Comment

Originally posted by cbreez99
                  Is that the back of King Richard Petty's head in the STP shirt???
                  I'd say that looks more like George Bignotti- wasn't he still with STP in '74?
                  The King would have had his cowboy hat on.....

Comment

Originally posted by cbreez99
                    Also note the crowds for qualifying back then!
                    It is not a coincidence that the crowds dropped off significantly immediately after this stunt!

Comment

I remember that day well, and yes, he took a heck of a fall but got up & ran off somewhere.

IIRC, it rained like hell later on that day - our punishment for having looked?
                      #BCForever

Comment

"I said wave the FLAG, dammit, the flag!!!!"
                        "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun
                          I 'uz there. Don't look, Ethyl!

-Calhoun
                          I don't know which photo is worse, this one, or the AP photo -cap

Comment

So much for Helio being the first fence climber

Johnny Rutherford said that same year on race day (he won the race) that on his victory lap, the hippies and streakers started storming the track. I have not seen much video or photographic evidence of this except one film clip (which clearly shows people on the track).

That was the straw that broke the back, and from that point on, they no longer let cars "finish" the race after the winner took the checkered flag. From then on, the race was "flagged." (although due to rain, the rule wasn't observed as intended until '77).
                            Doctorindy.com

Comment

As if the photo inthe thread wasn't bad enough. Why did I look at the AP photo?!?!

MY EYES!!!
                              To a New Yorker like yourself, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X