Studebaker Indy Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Indy Car

Some pretty nice pics of a truly historic car from the "junk formula" era. Enjoy.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...ndy_Racer.aspx
    Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Just a guess, but I'm thinkin' that stupid looking rollbar was added later?

Comment

Originally posted by ClintCurtis
      Just a guess, but I'm thinkin' that stupid looking rollbar was added later?
      I'll just guess with you and agree that it was probably added later. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it though, so I guess I didn't think it was stupid. But probably added for vintage racing. There was a pic in there of it racing a Miller of the same era, but I didn't notice if it had one or not and again, this was Monterrey not an original race.

Comment

The bar was certainly added recently,as drivers of the 1930s could hardly be convinced to wear crash helmets,let alone a roll bar.
        If you are interested in seeing the Studebaker Indy Team in 1932-33, Indy500.com has lots of photos of them in their photo gallery.

http://www.indy500.com/photo/galleries.php

Comment

Yep, I didn't even see a single roll bar. Thanks for the site tip.

Comment

The 1979 Hungness Yearbook has a six (!) page story by Fritz Frommeyer with some super pix on this car and its fellows. One of the two years they ran, 1933, all five finished in the top 12...7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th. They only changed nine tires between all five cars for the 500 miles.
            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

it was a few years before my time, but I seem to recall seeing 1960s era photos of cars @ Indy with Studebaker written on the side.

can anyone confirm this?

Was Studebaker even around that late?
              Live like Dave

Comment

Those 1960's cars would have been NOVI's. Andy Granatelli owned Studebaker at that time. Sudebaker was around I think until 1966.

Comment

Originally posted by OvalFan
                  Those 1960's cars would have been NOVI's. Andy Granatelli owned Studebaker at that time. Sudebaker was around I think until 1966.
                  That's correct and I think STP was actually owned by Studebaker who as you said was owned by AG.

Comment

Here is a nice color photo of one one the Studebaker team cars I found on the teamwatsononline.com

http://vintageracingphotos.smugmug.c...74_f6323/Large

Comment

Originally posted by Buildy
                      Here is a nice color photo of one one the Studebaker team cars I found on the teamwatsononline.com

http://vintageracingphotos.smugmug.c...74_f6323/Large

That is nice, but I like the blue one better. I probably couldn't afford it, but I'd like to see someone do a kit with this car like the Buggattis of a similar era.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky161
                        That's correct and I think STP was actually owned by Studebaker who as you said was owned by AG.
                        I don't believe Granatelli ever owned Studebaker...he was an employee, President, I think of one of its divisions, Paxton Products, which made STP (thus the connection there) but I've read his book three or four hundred times and I don't think he ever owned the company.
                        You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by ThingsThatExplode
                          I don't believe Granatelli ever owned Studebaker...he was an employee, President, I think of one of its divisions, Paxton Products, which made STP (thus the connection there) but I've read his book three or four hundred times and I don't think he ever owned the company.

I think you are most likely correct. I was going from memory which sometimes isn't too accurate. I've read his book too, but only once.

Comment

"it was a few years before my time, but I seem to recall seeing 1960s era photos of cars @ Indy with Studebaker written on the side.

can anyone confirm this?

Was Studebaker even around that late?"

Kevin,
                            Rodger Ward got a studebacker (a real non looker)for winning the 1962 500. It was supposed to be the Avanti, but they didn't get them done in time.
                            "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                            body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
                            "...holy $^!+...what a ride!"
                            >

Comment

Originally posted by Niseguy
                              "it was a few years before my time, but I seem to recall seeing 1960s era photos of cars @ Indy with Studebaker written on the side.

can anyone confirm this?

Was Studebaker even around that late?"

Kevin,
                              Rodger Ward got a studebacker (a real non looker)for winning the 1962 500. It was supposed to be the Avanti, but they didn't get them done in time.
                              Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Studebaker an Indianapolis based company? That would probably have something to do with the later date tie ins.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X