Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help me out with this! (merged thread about vintage PC6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me out with this! (merged thread about vintage PC6)

My father purchased this car in the early 80's,his lifelong dream was to race this but it never came true,just want as much info on what kind of car it is,when was made,engine and any other info you can give me.I would like to make a replica model of it to keep.I was too young when he bought it and don't know much about it except for the fact that he purchased it from some guys in Danville,Indiana.He tried to race it in Phoenix but the car did not pass tech from what I believe,this would help me out alot.I was told that the old color scheme on it was yellow with blue pinstripes and around the driver where the windshield was it was more of a rectangular shape.My father passed away in 1986,and I would love to find out as much as I can about this
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
    Mario Andretti

Copy this posting on the Nostalgia board. You might get some help there too.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Thanks,I'll do that!
      Mario Andretti

Comment

It looks mid-to-late 70's McLaren-ish if you ask me...
        ...a puerile junior-high zit-laden bloviating bozo loser blogger using third-rate scatological pseudo-humor talking loud and saying nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Zoomie
          It looks mid-to-late 70's McLaren-ish if you ask me...
          Thanks Zoomie! I'll start researching the McLarens,I appreciate it!!!!
          Mario Andretti

Comment

is that the volcanoes on Albuquerques West side in the background?

if so, Im guessing this may have been taken on Unser Blvd

Kinda does look like Als '78 hot rod
            Live like Dave

Comment

McLaren is what popped into my head too. What's the driver's name, I can't make it out.

Comment

It is a Penske PC-6. Raced likely in 1978-80. Likely a privateer car -could have been run in USAC or CART. There aren't too many PC-6s run with the yellow/blue scheme that I could find.

PRetty cool car!!
                And don't forget the heat!

Comment

I think you will find that the basis of this car is a mid 70s Riley designed Wildcat. The tub, turbo Offy engine, engine fairing , driver cowling, front suspension and wheels are Wildcat. Someone has grafted a PC6 nose of some sort onto it.

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
                  http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241

I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Comment

Originally posted by mac miller
                    I think you will find that the basis of this car is a mid 70s Riley designed Wildcat. The tub, turbo Offy engine, engine fairing , driver cowling, front suspension and wheels are Wildcat. Someone has grafted a PC6 nose of some sort onto it.

Only at Trackforum.

Comment

Originally posted by mac miller
                      That's what I was wondering was that it looks like a Penske, but its an Offy and and has the tapered back of a Wildcat. Hmmm.... Probably a mix...

Comment

Thanks guys! I appreciate it! Here's the only other picture I have of it,and my Dad!

Mario Andretti

Comment

Mac's right. Looks like a Wildcat.

Comment

The nose and most of the cockpit surround is Penske PC-6.

I'm thinking it's a hybrid as that is the only part that looks like a PC-6. The tub could be a wildcat or lightning. The engine is an Offy - the PC-6 was designed for a Cosworth - which leads more credibility to the possibility it's a hybrid.
                            "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Openracer
                              It is a Penske PC-6. Raced likely in 1978-80. Likely a privateer car -could have been run in USAC or CART. There aren't too many PC-6s run with the yellow/blue scheme that I could find.
                              Definitely not a PC-6, the Offy (among other details) is a dead giveaway as the PC-6 was designed around the Cosworth DFX.

I thought for a second it might be one of Rolla Vollstedt's Lightings but closer examination rules that out - same for it possibly being a Dragon chassis. It may well be a Wildcat but some details don't seem quite right.

It also resembles a late 70s Watson (see photo) but that's not it either. Possibly a King or a Rascar.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X