• Helicopter crash @ Homestead?

Any reports would be appreciated.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Two helos involved and apparently a motorcoach too.

Center Grove Trojans
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Raw video on WT a few moments ago. They were toting gurneys toward the scene. Hope all is well.

Comment

Heard the worst of the damaged helos landed on an RV. The other landed in the grass. I've heard nothing more.
        "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

From Jayski:

"Two helicopters have collided at the Homestead-Miami Speedway, site of the Ford 400 NASCAR race, according to news reports.

One pilot is hurt while another escaped injury and walked away from the accident." <!-- /Ad Space: html.ng/tag=std&site=sunsentinel&color=none&edition=newspa per&content=news&channel=local&adtype=cube&adsize= 300x250 -->
          "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

I hope & pray that there's nothing else to it, rev.
            Center Grove Trojans
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

no Nascar drivers involved

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate...s/13220551.htm
              quote:
              "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

Found this sad news on Yahoo!

Pilot killed when two helicopters collide near NASCAR track

November 20, 2005
                By Bruce Martin SportsTicker Contributing Editor

HOMESTEAD, Florida (Ticker) - A pilot was killed when two helicopters crashed at Homestead-Miami Speedway at about 9 p.m. EST, just hours after the NASCAR Nextel Cup series finale here.

The pilot, who was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at Jackson Memorial Hospital, was not identified by detective Nelda Fonticiella of the Miami-Dade Police Department.

The pilot of the other helicopter walked away from the crash uninjured.

Drivers who competed in Sunday's race were at the helipad waiting to depart the speedway when rescue workers from Homestead Fire and Rescue and the Homestead Police Department shut down the area to begin an investigation into the crash.

"I saw it happen but I didn't see what caused it," NASCAR driver Michael Waltrip said. "We heard it hit like a transformer blew up, we saw fire and we saw one of the helicopters crash to the ground but the pilot got out. The other copter crashed and his caught on fire. There was a guy parked way down there and he was going to transition to the tent pickup passengers."

According to Waltrip, one helicopter's landing skids hit propeller of the other, sending both into a mid-air crash.

"It was a loud collision, then a crash and then a fire," Waltrip said.

Joe Nemechek was another NASCAR driver awaiting his chance to leave with his family and described the scene.

"We were inside sitting by the motorhome and I was trying to get my little girl asleep, and we were looking out the front because she likes to look at the helicopters," Nemechek said. "The banners in turns 1 and 2 are high, so we saw the helicopter come in and as it came it, it was 'bam, bam, bam' and it looked like something flew off of it. I never saw the other one.

"It was big, whatever it was because it knocked the blades off the helicopter on the bottom."

Sonia Ridley, a registered nurse from Dalton, Georgia and the local chapter president of a NASCAR VIP Club, was at the helipad at the time of the crash.

"I was standing next to Carl Edwards, who was waiting to board his helicopter," Ridley said. "One of the helicopters went nose first and then sideways."

Comment

I did not mean to sound insensitive in my post above. It brought back bad memories of Davey Allison. For that matter, a few years ago some race fans died in a crash near here when a copter crashed in the fog.
                  quote:
                  "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

My recollection is that is a three pad landing area at Homestead. The pads are fairly close, but it appears to my untrained eye as fairly normal.

It is located just outside of turn two up against the banking for the corner. It is maybe 200 yards from the credentials office.

Dario usually has his chopper parked down there, and I think TG brings his on occassion.
                    We flipped our finger to the King of England
                    Stole our country from the Indians
                    With god on our side and guns in our hands
                    We took it for our own!

Comment

The injured pilot has died in hospital. One helicopter was registered to Biscayne Helicopters in Miami, one to Wells Fargo BAnk in Salt Lake. The Wells Fargo chopper was most likely on lease to some company or organization.

Comment

Sounds like a blind-spot accident to me. Pilot on the bottom couldn't see the one on top because it was blocked by the airframe, most likely the one on top couldn't see the other one below because it was blocked by the airframe or the panel. Possibly compounded by either one party not listening to the radio or the other not broadcasting on the radio. With that many people around it could have been a lot worse. In an area with little or no traffic control, where you just have to rely on the other guy's training and listening skills, it happens a lot.

I know from experience how such accidents can happen-I almost got collected in a Cessna Cardinal once by some half-wit glider tug pilot up in Wenatchee, WA who wasn't listening to his radio (it's an uncontrolled field but I had made all of my radio calls-the glider pilot came on and said, "117 Bravo, do you have that Cardinal in sight, Billy?" and got no reply-numbnutz didn't even have his radio on), and as he was in a Cessna 206 couldn't see me on low final because of his wing. Scared the [email protected] outta me-I can remember every bit of it to this day, almost 10 years later. He had been holding short at the line just off the runway, I called that I was on final to land, then short final just to make sure-and when I'm already over the runway numbers, this fool just said, "this is Cessna glider tug 117 Bravo, rolling out for takeoff," rolled out on the runway and initiated his takeoff roll right in front of me when I was already sinking through ground effect, about to touch down; I firewalled it-full flaps, mind you, so it rose almost straight up like an elevator-and just missed that glider. I looked down and could see his blue vest, red seatbelts, blue jeans, mirrored shades, white moustache, blue baseball cap and Dave Clark headset as he looked up at me. In the back seat of the glider was a dark-haired woman with a red top and jeans and Dave Clarks, covering her eyes. I radioed, in rather irate tones, "117 Bravo, this is Cardinal 34288, you had conflicting traffic!!!!" And he said, "Say again, Cardinal?" And the glider pilot came on and said, "I tried to tell you, damn it!You almost killed all four of us, you idiot!!!!" and then REALLY reamed him verbally, over the radio, stuff I'm sure the FAA and FCC must have gotten back to him about....I went around and landed, and told everybody I could find at the FBO and called FSS about it. I never got any word on what disciplinary action they took if any, but even now I sure hope that idiot lost his license or otherwise got grounded before he killed somebody.
                        Last edited by Sea Fury; 11-22-2005, 08:02 PM.
                        "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X