X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAindycarfan80
    replied
    Originally posted by RS2 View Post
    I bet there will not be 10,000 people there.
    They'll give a bunch of free tickets to the people that live around there if they have to make it happen. USC is right next door they can probably drop off a bunch of tickets. Will it get sold out, unlikely. But they will probably be able to get more people to show up there than at Fontana since its much easier to get to the Coliseum than Auto Club Speedway. Also since this is an exhibition race they can give away tickets like candy without effecting the bottom line because nobody was going to show up for a preseason race at Daytona anyways.
    Last edited by LAindycarfan80; 11-14-2021, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KevMcNJ
    replied
    Originally posted by RS2 View Post
    Theyll make sure that doesn't happen even if they have to fly in every NASCAR official from Daytona to Evergreen to watch.

Then tarp off a bunch of lower rows for safety and theyll make 40k look good enough

Leave a comment:

• RS2
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LAindycarfan80
    replied
    Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
    It's going to be a 1/4 mile.

It's probably important to the TV contract and advertising potential to be in as large a market as Los Angeles, but don't overlook that they claim their viewership is high in the Los Angeles market. And you shouldn't doubt that it could be true.

And, if you don't think there are plenty of 'necks around Greater Los Angeles, you haven't spent much time around Los Angeles Folks in parts of Los Angeles stereotype the outlying areas as hicks and necks, which is an unfair, cartoonishly broad generalization, but not utterly untrue either. Fontana, for one, has a very unkind nickname.

Jonathan Winters had his "rural" Ellwood P. Suggins character. He said "You don't have to go far outside Dayton to run into a lot of Ellwoods." That's what it was like in Southern California as well, and still is to a lesser degree. When a plane crashed at March AFB, just below Riverside Intl. Raceway in the late 1970s, the witnesses interviewed on newscasts were two farmers. One told a reporter: "It EX-ploded", the other said: "It blowed up!"
    The same people that travel to Fontana for a race will probably go to the Coliseum. Theres a couple of counties surround LA county that have a rural culture. These are the same people traveling to Perris Auto Speedway for a dirt track race or watching a race at Kern County raceway. Will enough people fill the Coliseum to make it look like a packed house, no way, there are very few events these days in the LA area that can do that (other than maybe a Rams game, and they have their own stadium now).

Leave a comment:

• JThur1
    replied
    It's going to be a 1/4 mile.

It's probably important to the TV contract and advertising potential to be in as large a market as Los Angeles, but don't overlook that they claim their viewership is high in the Los Angeles market. And you shouldn't doubt that it could be true.

And, if you don't think there are plenty of 'necks around Greater Los Angeles, you haven't spent much time around Los Angeles Folks in parts of Los Angeles stereotype the outlying areas as hicks and necks, which is an unfair, cartoonishly broad generalization, but not utterly untrue either. Fontana, for one, has a very unkind nickname.

Jonathan Winters had his "rural" Ellwood P. Suggins character. He said "You don't have to go far outside Dayton to run into a lot of Ellwoods." That's what it was like in Southern California as well, and still is to a lesser degree. When a plane crashed at March AFB, just below Riverside Intl. Raceway in the late 1970s, the witnesses interviewed on newscasts were two farmers. One told a reporter: "It EX-ploded", the other said: "It blowed up!"
    Last edited by JThur1; 11-14-2021, 12:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Big G 94
    replied
    Originally posted by SamC View Post

You mean when CBS had been the #1 for a decade and had never been lower than a close second in the history of TV, and quickly fell to 3rd (there were only 3)?

Yep, I remember.
    Sam they will tell you it’s about the long game.

You’ve probably figured out I’m in the media. Along with “we don’t want the money” of rubberneckers who want to know who’s in jail, I’ve also heard that if we keep focusing on the people who are keeping the lights on in the short term … ie old print readers … we’ll die with them.

I understand the mindset but I have generally always followed Lord Keynes’ admonition about the long run.

Leave a comment:

• SamC
    replied
    Originally posted by Big G 94 View Post

Remember CBS canceling all those shows in the early 1970s that were still in the top 10 of the Nielsens because they didn't draw the right kind of fans?
    You mean when CBS had been the #1 for a decade and had never been lower than a close second in the history of TV, and quickly fell to 3rd (there were only 3)?

Yep, I remember.

Leave a comment:

• dalz
    replied
    I assume they will remove the end zone seating that makes football games more intimate, using the entire expansive surface. Still what will be built is not even a legit 1/3rd mile. I'd wait to see what preliminary testing reveals, if this will actually happen.

Leave a comment:

• Big G 94
    replied
    Originally posted by SamC View Post

But we don’t have to go there. DMA #7 is Atlanta. 2.6M households. And it includes the entirety of northern Georgia. 51 counties in Georgia, plus 2 in Alabama and 1 in North Carolina. Are there more NASCAR fans among the 2.6M households in that DMA than among the 5.7M in LA? The answer is obviously yes.

But again, as we've discussed, are they the right kind of fans?

Remember CBS canceling all those shows in the early 1970s that were still in the top 10 of the Nielsens because they didn't draw the right kind of fans?

Leave a comment:

• SamC
    replied
    Originally posted by Jakester View Post

it's the We have more fans in L.A., in that L.A. DMA, than any other DMA in the country that I'd take issue with.
    Figures don’t lie, but liars do figure. Notice the specific thing he is saying. LA is a huge DMA, the second largest in the country. It is likely to have, in raw numbers “more” of a lot of things.

But here you would be correct to question this. Nielsen doesn’t publicly release DMA by DMA ratings, but they are out there. So all we have to do is look at the other large DMAs and use reason and common sense.

Remember that DMA is a particular term. More or less it means “where do you get your TV from”. Depending on the part of the country and the topography (and the population when TV stations were doled out in 1950) that can be a large area.

Of course, the only DMA larger than LA is NYC, and that one is obviously out. LA DMA is 5.7M TV households. Some other contenders, IMHO, would be #5 DFW, 2.9M. Is NASCAR twice as popular in DFW than in LA? Probably.

But we don’t have to go there. DMA #7 is Atlanta. 2.6M households. And it includes the entirety of northern Georgia. 51 counties in Georgia, plus 2 in Alabama and 1 in North Carolina. Are there more NASCAR fans among the 2.6M households in that DMA than among the 5.7M in LA? The answer is obviously yes.

Leave a comment:

• happyscrappy-t
    replied
    Yeah, you're right, I did click the link and look for context refencing Auto Club before posting, but glanced over it too fast and missed it.

Leave a comment:

• Jakester
    replied
    Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
    Phelps is using the penis length measuring tape if he thinks he's putting a 1/2 mile track in the coliseum...
    I think he's referring to the Cal Speedway reconfiguration in that statement...it's the We have more fans in L.A., in that L.A. DMA, than any other DMA in the country that I'd take issue with.

And yeah, the Coliseum may well get good attendance...kinda like Monster Jams....

Leave a comment:

• happyscrappy-t
    replied
    Phelps is using the penis length measuring tape if he thinks he's putting a 1/2 mile track in the coliseum...

Leave a comment:

• Jakester
    replied
    https://racer.com/2021/11/09/the-col...ascars-phelps/

The Coliseum hits an important market for us - NASCAR's Phelps

“Us adding another half-mile racetrack in a very important marketplace for us, I’ll call it the L.A. DMA (designated market area), it’s important,” said Phelps. “We have more fans in L.A., in that L.A. DMA, than any other DMA in the country.”
    I have to ask...then why has attendance at California Speedway not been sellouts? In fact, it that's true, why would you want to replace it with a half mile track that has far fewer seats to sell?

Leave a comment:

• KevMcNJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Big G 94 View Post

They absolutely are throwing merde at the wall hoping some will stick right now, but the basic mindset IMO remains that, rightly or wrongly, long term they do not think they can maintain the kind of audience they want and the level of profitability they want appealing to their traditional fan base with traditional racing.
    I was surprised at the crowd at Bristol on Saturday. Its probably one of the best attended races on the schedule of course but it wasnt 75% full.

We sat wherever we wanted and no one bothered us.

More than 50% . Less than 75%

I expected 99% considering the past 18 months.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X