LA Coliseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this quote from Ben Kennedy online:

An entirely new quarter-mile track will be built in the Coliseum, with the result being the first NASCAR race inside a stadium since one held in 1956 at Chicago’s Soldier Field. The goal of going to all that trouble, Ben Kennedy, VP of strategic initiatives for NASCAR said, is to “bring some new fans outside the track to sample our sport.”

Kennedy also said their numbers show that Southern California is NASCAR's second best overall market in the U.S. for TV viewership, and the 18-34 age group in Southern California is NASCAR's best single TV demographic in the U.S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big G 94 View Post
      Found this quote from Ben Kennedy online:

An entirely new quarter-mile track will be built in the Coliseum, with the result being the first NASCAR race inside a stadium since one held in 1956 at Chicago’s Soldier Field. The goal of going to all that trouble, Ben Kennedy, VP of strategic initiatives for NASCAR said, is to “bring some new fans outside the track to sample our sport.”

Kennedy also said their numbers show that Southern California is NASCAR's second best overall market in the U.S. for TV viewership, and the 18-34 age group in Southern California is NASCAR's best single TV demographic in the U.S.
      I find that hard to believe at best.
      RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

• Umm, Ben, all respect to your title as “VP of strategic initiatives” (imagine if Big Bill had been told he needed such a thing) plenty of people did a whole lot more than “sample” your sport. They were avid fans.

Your idiot uncle ran them off.

But think of the illogic here. Imagine if MLB announced it was going to play a baseball game on a hockey rink, in some idiotic attempt to get people that DON”T LIKE BASEBALL to “sample” it.

The rest is so much ho-ha about TV ratings. Figures don’t lie, but liars do figure. Ben is speaking of raw number. OF COURSE, one would expect LA to have high raw number, it is the 2nd largest TV market and NASCAR never did catch on in NYC. NASCAR’s actual “best overall market” in %age terms among large markets is Winston-Salem Greensboro HIgh Point, followed by Charlotte, and then Raleigh Durham. Among all markets it is Roanoke Lynchburg followed by Columbia followed by Greenville Spartanburg Asheville.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big G 94 View Post

Precisely. They didn't just want viewers. They wanted the right kind of viewers.
          That's the way it is across the board, and has influenced and continues to influence everything on TV and radio for decades, not just NASCAR. Tail wagging the dog. Same for radio. It's why "nostalgia" formats are kept to those in the prime age (spending) brackets.

It's not so much a bias against rural folks as it is a bias towards those with disposable incomes.

I could see NASCAR following the NHL and MLB as far as "unique" sites, and having races at Soldier Field and somewhere in NYC in upcoming years. Obviously, weather wise it wouldn't work to have The Clash the week before the Super Bowl in those cities, but February used to be pretty borderline for weather in Los Angeles as well. It used to be one of the wettest months.
          "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

• If NASCAR is back in the business of running quarter-miles, can we at least get Trucks and ARCA at Anderson on Brickyard 200 weekend?
            Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by SamC View Post
              Umm, Ben, all respect to your title as “VP of strategic initiatives” (imagine if Big Bill had been told he needed such a thing) plenty of people did a whole lot more than “sample” your sport. They were avid fans.

But think of the illogic here. Imagine if MLB announced it was going to play a baseball game on a hockey rink, in some idiotic attempt to get people that DON”T LIKE BASEBALL to “sample” it.

The rest is so much ho-ha about TV ratings. Figures don’t lie, but liars do figure. Ben is speaking of raw number. OF COURSE, one would expect LA to have high raw number, it is the 2nd largest TV market and NASCAR never did catch on in NYC. NASCAR’s actual “best overall market” in %age terms among large markets is Winston-Salem Greensboro HIgh Point, followed by Charlotte, and then Raleigh Durham. Among all markets it is Roanoke Lynchburg followed by Columbia followed by Greenville Spartanburg Asheville.

I sort of figured that ... I figured if I tossed it out there, someone would add the context that was lacking.

Context is kind of important LOL!

On edit: I would wager that the powers that be in Daytona Beach utterly hate that those areas are their best overall markets.

Comment

• And BTW those quotes came from a website called Deadline Hollywood, don't know if they did an interview (doubt it these days) or aggregated the content from some other source.

Comment

• Clash open to all teams now.
                  I'm just a mouse around the house.

Comment

• All they need now is a Jam Car and some Booger Artists.
                    “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

• So after over 60 years of racing at Riverside, Ontario and Fontana they've decided they need to reach out to potential fans in LA?

Live like Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by SamC View Post
                        Umm, Ben, all respect to your title as “VP of strategic initiatives” (imagine if Big Bill had been told he needed such a thing) plenty of people did a whole lot more than “sample” your sport. They were avid fans.

Momma always told me

Life is like a box of chocolates. You don't know what your gonna get until you take a bite.

NASCAR is the Whittman's Sampler of motor racing.
                        Roadcourse, Rovals, Dirt tracks, Racin in the rain.

And now the L.A. Colliseum will be the shortest short track ever on the schedule.

The Colliseum will fill in until they convert Fontana into a short track.

The Worlds gone mad
                        "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                          So after over 60 years of racing at Riverside, Ontario and Fontana they've decided they need to reach out to potential fans in LA?

The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post

Momma always told me

Life is like a box of chocolates. You don't know what your gonna get until you take a bite.

NASCAR is the Whittman's Sampler of motor racing.
                            Roadcourse, Rovals, Dirt tracks, Racin in the rain.

And now the L.A. Colliseum will be the shortest short track ever on the schedule.

The Colliseum will fill in until they convert Fontana into a short track.

The Worlds gone mad
                            Not so fast, my friend!
                            Almost the shortest ever.
                            They’ve run at Bowman Gray before (1/4 mile) and at Islip (.20).
                            A long time ago but still Cup/GN.
                            “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                            I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                            I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

• They should try Bowman Gray first to see what happens before trucking everything 6000 miles cross country and back.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                                So after over 60 years of racing at Riverside, Ontario and Fontana they've decided they need to reach out to potential fans in LA?

In fairness, Riverside and Ontario went away because of factors completely outside NASCAR’s control.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X