No announcement yet.

LA Coliseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the 2023 Daytona 500 will be run at South Boston?

Comment

Looking at the available tickets, apparently people are snatching them up....so its definitely going to be more than 10k.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaForce View Post
        Maybe the 2023 Daytona 500 will be run at South Boston?
        You just whistled my name.

Lets git er done
        "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

IMO more than 10,000 people will show up for this out of sheer curiosity.

The test will be if they do it again. And what happens when they do it again will be determined if this is a good show or if it's a cluster #$%^.

Bottom line, though, it's all about NASCAR's quest to not just be a racing series but an entertainment spectacle appealing to a wide, diverse audience and to gain a footprint in major media markets.

I think it's madness. I thought it was madness the first time I heard it, as I've mentioned often here that was from a NASCAR official 30 years ago in the press box at Talladega.

And for all those talking about how interest/ratings etc. are going into the toilet ... I'd make a large wager that the NASCAR folks, if you really pinned them down, put a real or metaphoric gun to their heads, would concede that.

And they would also tell you that they are playing the long game, just like other professional sports are even if they're not constantly juggling the rules.

I'll tread dangerously again as I have previously on this issue. The sports leagues, just like other entertainment areas and media in general, are banking on the long-predicted demographic changes in this country. They have no interest ... zilch ... in doing anything that would draw interest from lower, lower middle class, middle class people from rural areas or the suburbs, who are in the current majority demographic category and who skew in a certain way politically. (That's the best I can dance on that needle point.)

Yes, they may be cutting off their noses to spite their faces and they may be out of business eventually because as Lord Keynes said, in the long run we're all dead. And NASCAR absolutely is flailing around in a lot of ways throwing feces against the wall.

But there is a basic method to the basic madness that's going on ...

Comment

Originally posted by Big G 94 View Post
            They have no interest ... zilch ... in doing anything that would draw interest from lower, lower middle class, middle class people from rural areas or the suburbs, who are in the current majority demographic category and who skew in a certain way politically. .
            The voting data from recent elections show that middle class suburban voters are no longer skewing that way politically.
            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

I went down a weird wikipedia rabbit hole yesterday and read this regarding The Lawrence Welk Show:

While the show was highly rated and continued to attract more audiences, ABC canceled it in 1971 for two reasons. The first was that the network had to cut three-and-a-half hours per week of prime-time programming, owing to the institution of the Prime Time Access Rule in 1971; the other was the fact that Welk's viewership was mostly of people over forty-five, mostly because of the music he chose to play, but also because younger viewers, the core viewing target that networks coveted, were either out during the Saturday night slot, or were watching one of the other networks. Throughout the early 1970s, several variety shows (including Welk's, but ranging from long-running series such as The Ed Sullivan Show, The Hollywood Palace and The Red Skelton Show to more contemporary shows such as Hee Haw, The Johnny Cash Show and This Is Tom Jones) were pulled from network schedules (particularly ABC and CBS) in a demographic move known colloquially as the "rural purge".
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lawrence_Welk_Show
              "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
                Looking at the available tickets, apparently people are snatching them up....so its definitely going to be more than 10k.
                https://www.ticketmaster.com/nascar-...005B24A3951854

And
                https://www.foxnews.com/auto/first-l...coliseum-track
                BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

How tiny of a track will this be?
                  RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
                    I went down a weird wikipedia rabbit hole yesterday and read this regarding The Lawrence Welk Show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lawrence_Welk_Show

Precisely. They didn't just want viewers. They wanted the right kind of viewers.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaveL View Post

The voting data from recent elections show that middle class suburban voters are no longer skewing that way politically.
                      And people ... particularly younger, professional people ... are moving back to cities in droves.

Comment

• 6A369640-F5B9-4047-A0F8-450C7D5DE597.jpeg
                        Originally posted by RHR Fan Always View Post
                        How tiny of a track will this be?
                        Here’s Bowman Gray’s track around a football field.
                        How big the one in LA is will depend on how much room there is between the field and the physical structure.
                        It can’t be but so much bigger.
                        “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                        I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                        I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

• Originally posted by jandj View Post
                          6A369640-F5B9-4047-A0F8-450C7D5DE597.jpeg

Here’s Bowman Gray’s track around a football field.
                          How big the one in LA is will depend on how much room there is between the field and the physical structure.
                          It can’t be but so much bigger.
                          I'd guess it'll be even smaller based off this picture. The Bowman Gray track is around a football field, and measures at .25 mile I believe. The Coliseum track will not be able to go around the football field, it'll cut into the endzone corners for sure.

So it'll be smaller I'd guess, or right at .25 at most.

RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

• I have to think at some point they test the NewNextGenCar at BG to figure out setup baseline/ feasibility?
                            "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

• Originally posted by RHR Fan Always View Post
                              So it'll be smaller I'd guess, or right at .25 at most.
                              I snapped it with gmaps pedometer (so not that accurate) and the Colieum was indeed close to 1/4 mile around the perimeter as the photo would suggest. As racetracks are measured I'd say this will technically be closer to 1/5 mile. So the Speedrome size...

Comment

• Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
                                I have to think at some point they test the NewNextGenCar at BG to figure out setup baseline/ feasibility?
                                It's on an active campus.

I guess they could make a "donation " to some scholarship fund if someone makes a fuss
                                Live like Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X