No announcement yet.

LA Coliseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As with the case of Soldier Field, just who does NASCAR think will show up for a race at the Coliseum? Call me crazy, but I just don't see a significant number of NASCAR fans wanting to travel to a huge football stadium in South Central LA to watch an exhibition race on a tiny track that's like going to be sh*tshow the likes of which only NASCAR can concoct.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Jump through the peristyles or it's useless

Comment

And apparently this crew is actually serious about this really bad idea, Sports Business Journal is reporting they will wedge a quarter mile oval on the running track and move the race formerly known as the Busch Clash there, running during that most over rated of sports weekends, the week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. Tickets already sold for the event at Daytona will either be refunded, or a new and different exhibition event will be added to the Daytona schedule.

We are now entering, IMHO, the pure desperation phase, with just three more years of the over-bid contracts left, they will try gimmick after gimmick in vain attempts to stem the fan bleed and get some form of TV for that future.

Comment

Speedweekend 2022 at Daytona is gonna be awesome.

Maybe they should look into hosting it where the Chargers play.

Right-sizing and all that...
          Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ACCP View Post
            Jump through the peristyles or it's useless
            Oy! See post #30.
            It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Excited to see the race go to the quarter-mile bull ring at Los Angeles. Isn't an old-school short track what the old-school fans want?

Comment

The LA Coliseum was never an old school short track.

Wasnt the (Busch) Clash created because everyone was already at the track where it was held?

I dont believe Anheuser-Busch or Big Bill ever would have thought sending everyone on a 5000 mile round trip to race around a football field a week before the premiere race on the schedule was a very good concept.

A budget buster of a race for teams already scrambling for money.

Talk about moving the goalposts.

(Pun very much intended)
                Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                  The LA Coliseum was never an old school short track.
                  It was, but for a couple of short seasons of midget racing, pre-dating NASCAR

Which makes it, what? Older, pre-school?

If they really want to go old school and still head west, Orange Show Speedway is the Bowman-Gray of the West, albeit minus most of the "Madhouse" theatrics. Or, I should say, minus those most of the time, as there were some notable exceptions back in the day . OSS also was NASCAR sanctioned for a period of years, from the mid-60s through mid-70s and in the 80s. It was the first NASCAR sanctioned short track in So Cal.

But, of course, the general media doesn't know Orange Show Speedway/Stadium, so it wouldn't have the cache or garner the attention a race at the Coliseum would. Which is the whole point of them doing it anyway, much like other sports have been doing with "unique" sites.
                  "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Only way you could do it at such a small very is exhibition with smaller field and no green flag pitting. Sounds insane. Though might open them up for similar around the country. Coliseum works because it won't be actively used
                    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
                      It was, but for a couple of short seasons of midget racing, pre-dating NASCAR

Which makes it, what? Older, pre-school? .
                      I guess that means the Astrodome is an old school short track too ?

Is it too late to reopen Saugus?

Asking for a friend of course

Live like Dave

Comment

I guess that means the Astrodome is an old school short track too ?
                        Yeah, kinda There's an idea for NASCAR, the Astrodome.

Is it too late to reopen Saugus?

Asking for a friend of course
                        Yeah. The family that owns it closed it down when the stands failed inspection after the '94 Northridge earthquake. The local newspaper was very supportive of the track and kept trying to find out why the family didn't make any effort to remain open, especially with many volunteering services and materials. There are now newer homes literally just across the river from the track, maybe less than 1/2 mile away.

Saugus Speedway has been a swap meet site for years since. I drive by often and it's interesting seeing the crashwall and pavement completely intact. It would just need stands. Perfect for Dale Jr.'s "Lost Speedways."
                        "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

It’s official. Clash will be 2 weeks before the 500 at the LA Coliseum. Social media is full of people who haven’t attended a race in at least a decade proclaiming that they will never attend another race.

Comment

This is among the dumbest things NASCAR has done, and that's really saying something
                            RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

I'm speechless. Which is okay, because this is a visual medium.
                              Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Wow this is real???/I thought they were joking....speechless.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X