LA Coliseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

I recall RIR looking a little drab and shopworn on TV.

Its desert I realize , but was it "rustic" in person?

A different time of course.

Back when race fans didnt need individual seats with Cup holders and unlimited wifi to enjoy a day at the races.

Now get off my lawn.
    A different time of course, but the RIR i know does look drab and shop worn compared to the Crown Jewel it once was.

She looks she's missing half her teeth, when I see it on tv.

I have never set foot in Richmond Raceway. I won't go back until an Indycar unloads there.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• Maybe it will be a figure 8 race. That will be thrilling.
      It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

• Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

I recall RIR looking a little drab and shopworn on TV.

Its desert I realize , but was it "rustic" in person?

A different time of course.

Back when race fans didnt need individual seats with Cup holders and unlimited wifi to enjoy a day at the races.

Now get off my lawn.
        I didn't manage to attend a race at Riverside in its final years, but even in the early to mid-1970s, Riverside was both ahead and behind other raceways for spectator amenities. There were individual seats in places, like the turn 6 stands. Early on, before my time, it was very spartan. No running water. Competition Press & Autoweek had a humorous article hailing RIR's first permanent restroom. There was a Goodyear driver's lounge adjacent the garage area. Don't know how nice it was, would have to ask one of the drivers of the era

Not quite the desert. Semi-arid., like much of So Cal. The desert starts about 30 miles east. There is a difference. If lost in the wilderness in one compared to the other, it would become readily apparent

Later on, since it was known it was going away, the ownership didn't put any money into it. So, that's probably where the "rustic" look came from.
        "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

• Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
          Riverside always was a placeholder waiting for development, no? The property was owned by speculators.
          No. It was originally built by enthusiasts and investors (one investor was Bob Hope). It didn't fall into the hands of a developer until the bankruptcy of ARI in 1971 or 1972 (as mentioned a few posts earlier). And, even then, he didn't have the majority of shares until the late 1980s. Obviously, the developer that got it (Fritz Duda) viewed it as being as placeholder from a certain point on, but racing continued instead of just closing it down and letting it sit.

I don't think many anticipated Los Angeles swallowing up the San Bernardino/Riverside area, at least not for many years. There wasn't much growth in the area until the early 70s, and it took until well into the 80s and 90s for that land to develop.

When dad sold our house, he took a loss. That's how unvaluable that area was in the 1960s.
          "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

• Originally posted by dalz View Post

It depends on what is considered professional, but was there an off-road racing weekend in the latter part of 1988? I remember a story in a periodical of the time that it was billed as a rowdy blowout where spectators were welcome to take home parts of the grandstand, among other remnants(!). It fell short of expectations because of poor weather and disappointing attendance.

Skip Barber's mailings of early 1989 touted races at "Riverside Regional Raceway" where impromptu paving made a curvy road from turn 7 back to the backstretch dogleg. Destruction of the far end of the track must have begun by then.
            Right you are. I thought the off-road race took place, but had a brain cramp. That's why I wrote "I think", and also why I should have checked

The middle of the backstraight was plowed under fairly quickly, thus the revised "club" circuit that hosted some Cal Club events and vintage clubs in 1989. That's pretty good what the Barber folks came up with for an unofficial name

To give an idea, here are some photos of what was left in 2001. It was hardly instant. My brother went by in 1997 and there was far more left then:
            http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Ri...day.html#Today

Comment

• Very interesting.

Kinda like when the Disney people were buying up thousands of acres of "worthless " swamp in Florida for $100/acre.

Live like Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by JThur1 View Post
                Right you are. I thought the off-road race took place, but had a brain cramp. That's why I wrote "I think", and also why I should have checked
                Oh I think your credibility has earned you a pass or three. I've seen a pro-am off-road race from Riverside on CBS Sports Spectacular as a kid. Used a lot of the pavement.

The middle of the backstraight was plowed under fairly quickly, thus the revised "club" circuit that hosted some Cal Club events and vintage clubs in 1989. That's pretty good what the Barber folks came up with for an unofficial name
                True story. I wish I kept those newsletters. It included a track map. The temporary course did not use turn 7 at all. Over the hill into the T7 brake zone, then a squiggly diagonal road to T9. Must've been strange and a little sad for an RIR fan.
                "Everyone in front of you is cheatin', and everyone behind you sux!"--nonpareil racer T. Kester

Comment

• Originally posted by Big G 94 View Post

They absolutely are throwing merde at the wall hoping some will stick right now, but the basic mindset IMO remains that, rightly or wrongly, long term they do not think they can maintain the kind of audience they want and the level of profitability they want appealing to their traditional fan base with traditional racing.
                  That is where they are wrong, they are at best right now a niche sport and have are strong in certain parts of the country, other parts they struggle.

On the other hand they seem to have a good audience for most of the races right now, they need to preserve that, figure out where they are good at and scale back at some parts of the regions where they were not good at or maybe oversaturated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big G 94 View Post

They absolutely are throwing merde at the wall hoping some will stick right now, but the basic mindset IMO remains that, rightly or wrongly, long term they do not think they can maintain the kind of audience they want and the level of profitability they want appealing to their traditional fan base with traditional racing.
                    I was surprised at the crowd at Bristol on Saturday. Its probably one of the best attended races on the schedule of course but it wasnt 75% full.

We sat wherever we wanted and no one bothered us.

More than 50% . Less than 75%

I expected 99% considering the past 18 months.
                    Live like Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X