All Star Race Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
    Today would have been Dale Earnhardt‘s 70th birthday.

Long ago he would have told Brain France to sit down and shut up while the adults were talking.

This is definitely one of the most convoluted racing concepts that these idiots have come up with. If it takes longer than 30 seconds to explain an idea, it sucks.
    I heard a story about Bill France Jr. being near death in the hospital in 2000. Earnhardt called him up and said "You need to hurry up and get out of that hospital bed before that kid of yours F**** everything up. Can't remember the exact circumstance, but some close to France said he was motivated by the phone call.

Comment

The one change I'd like to see is the whole idea of an all-star race scrapped and replace with a points race at a unique track.

Comment

But how do you propose they set the starting order for this 100 lapper?

Turn 2 laps and throw out the slowest?
        "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

Such a pity I'm no longer near a radio during the day.

I'd love to hear Chocolate tell us how this is the best format yet.
          I do miss the days when you would tell us the non sense he puts forth on Sirius.
          "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post

I do miss the days when you would tell us the non sense he puts forth on Sirius.
            I do what I can here.
            Live like Dave

Comment

The point of the "all-star race" no longer applies. When invented:

- NASCAR had a PROPER points system, rewarding consistency, thus having a race where the point did not matter and the drivers could behave differently was valid. Today NASCAR has an illegitimate and idiotic chase, meaning all a driver has to do is win a race, coast for the rest of they year, and take his shot in the fall at being the random result "champion". Thus this event is no different from any other.

- NASCAR was PROPERLY run. Gimmick free. Racing back to the caution, no spotter dependence, proper points, no segments, no idiotic chase, etc. Thus having a week to be "different" was fine. Today, NASCAR = gimmick. Every race is filled with gimmick after gimmick. Thus this event is no different.

- The available TV time was a lot less. There were not 100s of channels, and there certainly was no streaming. A short form race like The Winston (and the Busch Clash) was a way to get on TV in a shorter time slot.

- NASCAR was sponsored by Winston. The networks had to be cagey about that. CBS sometimes called the Winston Cup "the national championship" and such like. But The Winston had no "generic" name. They had to call it "The Winston". Which Winston liked very much. Today NASCAR is so unpopular it has no series sponsor at all, and a third of the races are sponsored by obscure products no one has ever heard of.

- While "all star" has always been a stretch, as one of the points of non-team sports like auto racing, golf, tennis, etc., is the non-team "all-star" nature of the EVERY week, NASCAR did in fact have star drivers and lesser drivers and even lesser than that drivers. An event where the top drivers could race free of the backmarkers, made some sense. Today NASCAR has the idiotic franchise system. Competition to get in the show no longer exists.

It is time to forget about the relic of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post
                The point of the "all-star race" no longer applies. When invented:

- NASCAR had a PROPER points system, rewarding consistency, thus having a race where the point did not matter and the drivers could behave differently was valid. Today NASCAR has an illegitimate and idiotic chase, meaning all a driver has to do is win a race, coast for the rest of they year, and take his shot in the fall at being the random result "champion". Thus this event is no different from any other.

- NASCAR was PROPERLY run. Gimmick free. Racing back to the caution, no spotter dependence, proper points, no segments, no idiotic chase, etc. Thus having a week to be "different" was fine. Today, NASCAR = gimmick. Every race is filled with gimmick after gimmick. Thus this event is no different.

- The available TV time was a lot less. There were not 100s of channels, and there certainly was no streaming. A short form race like The Winston (and the Busch Clash) was a way to get on TV in a shorter time slot.

- NASCAR was sponsored by Winston. The networks had to be cagey about that. CBS sometimes called the Winston Cup "the national championship" and such like. But The Winston had no "generic" name. They had to call it "The Winston". Which Winston liked very much. Today NASCAR is so unpopular it has no series sponsor at all, and a third of the races are sponsored by obscure products no one has ever heard of.

- While "all star" has always been a stretch, as one of the points of non-team sports like auto racing, golf, tennis, etc., is the non-team "all-star" nature of the EVERY week, NASCAR did in fact have star drivers and lesser drivers and even lesser than that drivers. An event where the top drivers could race free of the backmarkers, made some sense. Today NASCAR has the idiotic franchise system. Competition to get in the show no longer exists.

It is time to forget about the relic of the past.
                Agreed.
                The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

I do what I can here.
                  Its your turn to take out the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post

Its your turn to take out the trash.
                    Live like Dave

Comment

I'm still reading the procedure....I know there's got to be something about a Royal Fizzbin in there somewhere. Is the race being run on a Tuesday?
                      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Can they make this one a figure 8 races some day?
                        "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

I know it is a gimmick/novelty race. I would skip watching it but since it is in Texas where I live I will probably watch it.
                          I'm just a mouse around the house.

Comment

The one change I'd like to see is the whole idea of an all-star race scrapped and replace with a points race at a unique track.
                            The whole concept of an all-star race makes no sense. Every race is an all-star race already. Thus they have to come up with ludicrous special rules to make it stand out.

It would be like if the NBA's all-star weekend just involved every single team playing 1 game against 1 other team.

Gimmick free. Racing back to the caution
                            I mean this was sort of a gimmick too - just gets forgiven because it was an original gimmick.
                            Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

Originally posted by StatMan View Post

The whole concept of an all-star race makes no sense. Every race is an all-star race already. Thus they have to come up with ludicrous special rules to make it stand out.

It would be like if the NBA's all-star weekend just involved every single team playing 1 game against 1 other team.
                              I dont recall if it was called an All Star race early on or if that came later but it started out as a Winners only race probably cuz Winston wanted something and everyone was already in town for the 600
                              Live like Dave

Comment

Take the top 5 from trucks, top 5 from Xfinity, and top 10 from Cup, qualify, line them up fastest in the back, and drop the flag for 25 laps.
                                "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X