Bad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad News

One of the greatest if not the greatest announcers of all time is apparently real sick admitted in the hospital with COVID/Coronavirus, whatever you call it...

I hope Ken Squier feels better soon. Still miss him.

Not good. He must be in his mid 80`s by now.

Comment

85 Years Old...I miss guys like him, Bob Jenkins, Benny Parsons, Buddy Baker, Ned Jarrett, Jim McKay and Paul Page in Indy Car...

I never cared for Paul Page at the time, but what we have now I prefer him anytime.

All of them either have retired or sadly passed on like Jim and Benny Parsons, lets face it Benny & Buddy Baker had DW's Sense of Humor, but also had some control and knew when to be serious...And there was a certain charm about those two that DW just didn't have, DW was decent in smaller doses, and if he could give up the stick for a bit it would have been tolerable.

Hope he does get better soon.

Comment

Thanks for the info JSJLW. I always like to hear Ken and team on the Darlington broadcasts. Mad me feel good about NASCAR for an hour...

Get well Ken.
        No signature required

Comment

Ken has been sick for quite a while now, yesterday he was moved from home to the hospital. He is one of the greats.
          How can pork be wrong when people eat more pork than any other protein on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by JSJLW View Post
            85 Years Old...I miss guys like him, Bob Jenkins, Benny Parsons, Buddy Baker, Ned Jarrett, Jim McKay and Paul Page in Indy Car...

I never cared for Paul Page at the time, but what we have now I prefer him anytime.

All of them either have retired or sadly passed on like Jim and Benny Parsons, lets face it Benny & Buddy Baker had DW's Sense of Humor, but also had some control and knew when to be serious...And there was a certain charm about those two that DW just didn't have, DW was decent in smaller doses, and if he could give up the stick for a bit it would have been tolerable.

Hope he does get better soon.
            Benny Parsons was the absolute best. He was just an overall nice guy, the drivers loved talking to him and he tried to educate fans on technical aspects that went deeper than "cover a football field per second"

Comment

Originally posted by IndyCarFan100 View Post
              Ken has been sick for quite a while now, yesterday he was moved from home to the hospital. He is one of the greats.
              Per Jayski, the prognosis for Ken's recovery is now good.
              Tibi Fumus Obsidio Septum Doro

Comment

That's good to hear. I was a little less concerned when they sent him to Copley, which is a smaller hospital. Not knocking what they do, but if it was that bad I expect they would have sent him to a hospital with more resources. I think Ken has had some other issues, and he may not be out of the woods. But it's good to hear some positive news. Now, once he's out let him loose on the TV stations to show them how to do it right!

Comment

Originally posted by 38special View Post

Benny Parsons was the absolute best. He was just an overall nice guy, the drivers loved talking to him and he tried to educate fans on technical aspects that went deeper than "cover a football field per second"
                  I met Benny Parsons and Eli Gold when they were at Watkins Glen for NASCAR, both super nice people and very genuine.

Best wishes for Ken Squire.
                  And don't forget the heat!

Comment

Dave Moody is posting daily updates. Said today Ken has been released from hospital to a rehab facility. Hoping for more positive progress/news.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/WDEVradiovt...94285460585318

Hopefully that link works but just in case WDEV radio posted an update and a request:
                      Ken is continuing to rehab to help him gain his strength back from contracting Covid a few weeks back. Over the last few weeks many of you have left messages on our Facebook page expressing your appreciation for Ken. Our next step is for Ken to see and feel that love.
                      Our Ask to you, can you please send Ken a Card. Beside sending him best wishes, we would also like you to let Ken know your favorite memory of him. It could be something from Nascar to Thunder Road or just a time you saw him at WDEV or walking around Waterbury or the State of Vermont. He would love to hear from you.
                      Mail your cards to:
                      Ken Squier
                      c/o WDEV
                      9 Stowe Street
                      Waterbury VT 05676
                      We will deliver all cards we receive. On behalf of Ken and his family, thank you so much.
                      WDEV is a radio station/network Ken owned until a few years ago. He hosted a Saturday morning show called "Music to go to the dump by" with his dog (Buster?). When the dog passed he stopped doing the show for a bit. While most people know Ken from his Nascar involvement, he was and still is an important member of the Vermont community including his ownership of Thunder Road Speedway. I'm glad to see he is doing better.

Comment

Yeah he owns or owned Thunder Road Speedway at one point.

He hired a young Dave Moody and apparently were good friends ever since.

Comment

Correct, owned. He & Curly sold it once, then ended up having to take it back over because the new ownership didn't work out. They sold it again a couple years ago (around time Curly's health issues started to limit him). They admitted taking less money to sell to people with more racing experience (one of the new co-owners is a former track champion, the other is a real estate guy).

Yup, Moody learned well from him at the track. Listened to many a call from both of them up on 'Bud Hill' (and that was before they commercialized it by adding concrete seating ).

Comment

Thanks for the clarification buddy...

I knew he had ownership at one time, not sure if he still owned or sold it.

Comment

No summer is complete without at least one trip to Thunder Road International Speedbowl... "The Nation's Site of Excitement"... says so right on the sign...
                              I'll see YOU at the races!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X