Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Weaver: "Just tell NASCAR you're here for the crashes, already."

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nasc...ashes-already/

Pretty compelling article. I did not watch any of Saturday night but it pretty clearly lays out the issues I have with NASCAR right now.

If they want to turn the sport into 10 lap demolition derby sprints, so be it, but I'll be tuning out.

Originally posted by ACCP View Post
    https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nasc...ashes-already/

Pretty compelling article. I did not watch any of Saturday night but it pretty clearly lays out the issues I have with NASCAR right now.

If they want to turn the sport into 10 lap demolition derby sprints, so be it, but I'll be tuning out.
    For race fans like me, I've watched fewer and fewer NASCAR races each year, down to about maybe 4 races this year. I used to watch every race as recent as 2007.

JR Hildebrands tweet in the artcile, in my opinion is accurate.

Comment

I didn't watch a second of the race from Richmond and I agree with the article.
      The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

"I’m a fan of this sport and we’re going to ask fans to come back one of these days and we’ve got to put a better show on than that," Bowyer continued. "We can’t have it run lap after lap after lap with no cautions. Something’s got to change there and the first thing I’d change if I owned it would be the tire."
        He could always run into the wall to liven things up.
        It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

The article brings up some very good points about what is wrong with the series and yet more so upon those who ran, and continue to run, it into the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCP View Post
            And yet there are incredible numbers of IndyCar fans who wanted a red flag followed by a green/white/checker potential crashfest at the conclusion of the recent Indy 500. That scenario would have just about guaranteed a good pileup somewhere in the field.

If a race experiences a crash and has to finish under the yellow so be it. It should even be that way in NASCAR. If IndyCar wants plenty of crashes to excite their fans then going to some kind of a mandatory finish under the green rule will give the fans more crashes.

A big part of IndyCar's problems today are because they have copied way too many gimmicks from NASCAR and lost their historical racing identity.

Comment

By the logic of the first Jim Utter tweet quoted in the column, recreational sports shouldn't exist.

The article is an excellent look into the mess that is 21st century stock car racing.

And the vapidity and short-attention-span thinking that seems to be ruining everything.
              Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

We still talk about Daytona 1979 or Earnhardt coming from 18th at Talladega in 2000 because it was wild and rare.

Too many fans expect a wild and rare finish 38 times a year in NASCAR.

You dont get your Instant Classic if they're all Instant classics.

Just paint up a bunch of Crown Vics, Camrys and 90s Caprices in the appropriate NASCAR liveries and have a demo derby after the Cup race every weekend. Fans get to see some serious rubbin' and can cheer when the car painted up like the driver they hate gets smashed.
                Live like Dave

Comment

They'll need six or seven 18s. Maybe a Snickers and a Pedigree, and five kinds of M&Ms.
                  Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Comment

I have made the mistake of watching a lot of the old Cup races. Those cars were a handful. They had a ton of horsepower under their pinky toe.

Those cars were evil. They sat 3 inches off the ground and the air could get under them. And with solid concrete walls to contain the carnage. The cars crushed like tin cans.

The good ole days weren't as great as I like to remember. Or shave 20 years off me, back when i was even stupider.

I just watched "3 before February". Petty, Irwin, and Roper.
                      The stuck throttle issue killed them but nothing really changed. Then Blaise Alexander died. Then cam Earnhardts death.

Then came the changes that no one cares for.

When a car got loose and slid halfway up the track and the driver saves it, you held your breathe.

Now if a car so much as wiggles in a corner, the commentators burst my eardrums in an orgasmic blithering explanation of how scary it is to get a wiggle.

They de tuned the cars so much you cannot hear them 2 miles from the track. I should be able to hear them.
                      "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                        We still talk about Daytona 1979 or Earnhardt coming from 18th at Talladega in 2000 because it was wild and rare.
                        Things that could not happen under the idiotic rules of today. What other sport lionizes past events and then changes the rules so they could never happen again? None, because other sports are run by people who have at least some understanding of what the sport is, and some understanding of its fans.

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
                          They'll need six or seven 18s. Maybe a Snickers and a Pedigree, and five kinds of M&Ms.
                          Stop it !

Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post

Things that could not happen under the idiotic rules of today. What other sport lionizes past events and then changes the rules so they could never happen again? None, because other sports are run by people who have at least some understanding of what the sport is, and some understanding of its fans.
                            Are you familiar with Major League Baseball?
                            Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Originally posted by thehairpin View Post

Are you familiar with Major League Baseball?
                              Center Grove Trojans
                              2008 5A Football State Champs
                              2015 6A Football State Champs
                              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X