Maurice Petty passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maurice Petty passed away

Lost 3 legends today - Maurice Petty, Peter Green and Regis Philbin.

Sad news today from North Carolina, a statement from Richard Petty Enterprises noting the death of Maurice Petty, famed engine builder, NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee, and foundational member of the Petty family stock car racing dynasty.
    https://racer.com/2020/07/25/maurice-petty-1939-2020/

https://racer.com/2020/07/25/maurice-petty-1939-2020/

Such a big part of the success of Petty Enterprises back when that name meant something.
    “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Never knew he had a stint as a Cup driver....pretty impressive numbers too...16 top 10s in 26 starts.
      Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

RIP Maurice Petty

Never Heard of Peter Green, and I was a fan of Fleetwood Mac?

As for Regis...He was completely Overrated, never cared for those annoying morning show hosts.

Comment

Probably the coolest racing magazine cover ever.

9e3469d38e76fbcd8f1ec69acf475712.jpg
          DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Sad to hear. One of the greatest engine men ever. Condolences to the whole Petty family.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy View Post

I have it.
              Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy View Post

Probably my favorite race car.

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
                  Never knew he had a stint as a Cup driver....pretty impressive numbers too...16 top 10s in 26 starts.
                  I didn't know he had some seat time.

I wonder if he hopped in a house car when they knew fields would be light.

Anyone know?
                  Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

I didn't know he had some seat time.

I wonder if he hopped in a house car when they knew fields would be light.

Anyone know?

I remember years and years ago the old Stock Car Racing magazine had a special issue on the Pettys with detailed feature stories on Lee, his wife, Richard, Maurice and Dale Inman. Don’t take this as gospel but the way I remember it is that it was a serious effort for him to drive, but he said he simply didn’t have the knack for it that Richard did and, probably most importantly, didn’t love it the way Richard did. He liked building engines.

Also, I was curious about the health issues that had relegated him to a motorized cart in his later years. Did a little searching and found out that a big deal wasn’t made out of it, but it was related to the polio he had as a kid. Anyone who saw Maurice around the garage area knows that he had a bad limp, which was from the polio, and sadly it is not uncommon for the effects of juvenile polio to manifest themselves again in a patient’s older years.

Comment

Following up, I wish I had a copy of that old magazine because the reason they profiled everyone is because Petty Enterprises was such an integrated family operation back then, this would've been early to mid-70s.

Lee was still the mastermind, still had his finger on pulse of everything, and the thing that always stuck with me from this story was a quote about how he was always cognizant of everything going on in the racing world, that he knew what was going on both in front of and behind the curtains not just in NASCAR but in USAC, SCCA, Formula 1, etc.

His wife Elizabeth still minded the checkbook.

Richard drove and set up the chassis. ("So that's why ...")

Maurice built the engines.

And Dale made it all fit together. He said in the story that he had no clue what made a racing engine tick, he knew a little bit about chassis setups, couldn't have built a race car from scratch to save his life, but he was the guy who executed the plan on race day and coordinated things and made it all work, a true "crew chief."

Sounds like a recipe for success ...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X