TMS - attendance approved vs ticket sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMS - attendance approved vs ticket sales

From a confidential, but believable source.
    TMS was approved for up to 65,000 for this weekend's race.
    TMS officials expect around 20k-25k attendance.

https://am.ticketmaster.com/tms/oap5...m_source=tms#/
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Very cool, and that kind of number will be swallowed up by a facility that size, as we've seen with IndyCar.

So is 25k the number of people expected to choose to be there despite a larger capacity, or is TMS lowering capacity beyond what they were approved for?
    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

25K number expected to choose to attend. Not TMS lowering capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
        25K number expected to choose to attend. Not TMS lowering capacity.
        Thanks. I'm surprised more people aren't attending even though they can.
        No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

Bristol was 'authorized' for 30K, attendance estimated at 20K.

Comment

I don't think they have had 65k in there for any race in a few years. The Cup races have been less than half full lately.

Comment

Originally posted by 38special View Post
              I don't think they have had 65k in there for any race in a few years. The Cup races have been less than half full lately.
              at TMS?
              TMS has been above 65K for Cup races. Frontstretch grandstands seat around 112K, plus suites, infield (~1150 spots) and Burnout Alley backstretch RV (52 spots)

Comment

Reports suggest attendance didn't make the 20K mark. DFW being a coronavirus hotspot and a a 100+ heat index didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                  Reports suggest attendance didn't make the 20K mark. DFW being a coronavirus hotspot and a a 100+ heat index didn't help.
                  The fact that any fans were allowed in, or made it was probably a minor miracle in and of itself. With the way the media is hammering events for allowing people to attend, race promoters are taking a considerable risk by having fans in attendance. All it's going to take is an outbreak related to a sporting event...................
                  "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Also, one has to be careful buying tickets in advance these days. Waiting on a refund for my tickets and hospitality package for the Watkins Glen race that was to be held next month. Add that to my tickets for my trip to China (would have been in June/July) and fortunately, got all that money back from the company. My trip to Spain and Portugal last March, planned myself, but sitting on a voucher from British Airways that I hope I get to use. My trip to New York last April, got my money back from the hotel, but sitting on an Amtrak voucher I hope I get to use. Just cancelled a New Year's cruise (wife's Dr.'s orders) and found out our down payment is non-refundable and I'm hoping to get voucher for a later date. Have to cancel a trip to Ireland in September. Probably looking at eating $900 since the fly by night outfit our friends chose probably doesn't have the money.

So, I imagine that there were those who might be reluctant to put out any money for a race that could be cancelled at any minute.

There are about three races that I want to go to this summer and fall, maybe more. But if I can't buy tickets at the track, I'll watch on TV.
                    DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post

The fact that any fans were allowed in, or made it was probably a minor miracle in and of itself. With the way the media is hammering events for allowing people to attend, race promoters are taking a considerable risk by having fans in attendance. All it's going to take is an outbreak related to a sporting event...................
                      With a track that size and a crowd of 20k or less, the real risk is merely PR, not starting an outbreak.

Comment

Heat stroke had to be the biggest health risk.
                        Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

That kind of heat could decimate walk up crowd... Even in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
                            That kind of heat could decimate walk up crowd... Even in Texas.
                            FWIW, the 360 sprints were racing literally 20 minutes away from home on Saturday.

I really wanted to go, but

It's really warm here right now and I went back and forth about whether i was going to go or not.

I did go in the end but the heat made me consider stayingstaying home even though they ran at night.

Cant blame anyone for not wanting to drop some serious cash to bake all afternoon in the Texas sun
                            Last edited by KevMcNJ; 07-20-2020, 02:24 PM.
                            Live like Dave

Comment

Flat track motorcycles were making their only appearance in Indy on Saturday night and I really wanted to go but dad and I reconsidered that and stayed home. Just way too hot.*

*Glad we didn’t go because the local thugs were out in full force at the fair Saturday which resulted in people storming the gate, breaking into the ticket booth, beating up the attendant and robbing it, a riot, and a shooting.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X