Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myrtle Beach Speedway (ex-Rambi Speedway) will eventual closed

-> https://wlos.com/news/local/myrtle-b...r-final-season

Shame. Another good short track will gone.
    Last edited by German500; 05-23-2020, 10:37 PM.

I had started college in the summer of 1988 and was working a summer internship in Fayetteville, NC. I went down that July 2, and saw Rob Moroso win his first race in the Busch Series. Also, several Cup drivers hustled their way back from Daytona to race that night, Dale Earnhardt, Morgan Shepherd, Bobby Hillin, and Mike Alexander. Also, Harry Gant was there making his first start in any race after breaking his leg in Charlotte that May. (he didn't race at Daytona, but would return for the next one in Pocono.) Also, Jimmy Spencer was not yet in Cup, but he led a bunch of laps that night.

Since Moroso was a rookie and basically my age, I started following him and rooting for him. It was sad for me when he was killed in a road accident just a couple of years later.

Sorry to hear about the track, I thought they put on a great show that night.
    El Grillo Cantor

Comment

NASCAR just gave Myrtle Beach what will be the Modified Tour season opener on about a weeks notice. Totally screwed the teams. Greatly reduced purse and the teams are going to need a couple nights in hotels on top of that.

Comment

Saw one LM race there, about 2009, great track, good night of racing.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB View Post
          NASCAR just gave Myrtle Beach what will be the Modified Tour season opener on about a weeks notice. Totally screwed the teams. Greatly reduced purse and the teams are going to need a couple nights in hotels on top of that.
          Just something I read online but I saw its
          $4000 to win and 10th on back gets you $500.

$500 will pay for... something .

I saw one good show and one stinkeroo there.
          Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

Just something I read online but I saw its
            $4000 to win and 10th on back gets you $500.

$500 will pay for... something .

I saw one good show and one stinkeroo there.
            $500 would probably not even pay for your hotel bill, add in your food, racing expenses, etc. they would probably be several hundred dollars in the hole by the end.

Comment

Originally posted by JSJLW View Post

$500 would probably not even pay for your hotel bill, add in your food, racing expenses, etc. they would probably be several hundred dollars in the hole by the end.
              Thousands of dollars.

Its probably an 800-900 mile tow each way.

$500 will cover diesel and tolls for the hauler.
              Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
                Saw one LM race there, about 2009, great track, good night of racing.
                I know the race track mainly from NASCAR Racing 3 as a virtual track. I thought she was pretty good at the game. I saw some races on Youtube. It was unique because it is (the only one I know) paved D-oval of 1/2 mile in length. This characteristic distinguishes it from racetracks like South Boston, Greenville-Pickens, Martinsville, Bristol, Nashville and North Wilkesboro. That makes the loss twice as bad.

The bad thing is that the Corona economic crisis may cause many more local racetracks to die.

Comment

I think this track was going away sooner rather than later no matter what.

It's on prime land.

Far too valuable for it to be used for a race track that probably barely scrapes by every Saturday night.

Live like Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X