Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something different...Wasted Talent!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Tim Richmond.

    Rob Moroso maybe?. Didn't like him cuz he was an original silver spooner but he won in everything he raced and was just getting started in Cup so we'll never know.

    I know where he crashed. They straightened that section of highway out some time since that night.

    Greg Sacks. He was crazy good in modifieds. Never made the transition.
    According to accounts I have read, Moroso was drunk when he left the restaurant with a female passenger. Furthermore, the crew of one of Nascar's best drivers ever was there, and did nothing to stop him from driving.
    Last edited by nm; 03-25-2020, 06:16 PM. Reason: typo
    quote:
    "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by nm View Post

      According to accounts I have read, Moroso was drunk when he left the restaurant with a female passenger. Furthermore, the crew of one of Nascar's best drovers ever was there, and did nothing to stop him from driving.
      I was gonna say it was a different time but stuff like that still happens everywhere
      Live like Dave

      Comment


      • #48

        Originally posted by JSJLW View Post
        Moroso, may be the same as Richmond, alcoholism is an Illness...I have heard stories about him losing his license before that incident, I seen a documentary on him his crew member basically saying he was drunk that night, talked to the guy.
        I'm surprised by all the "I heard this" in the posts. Moroso was drunk, he was more than twice the legal limit. There are no ifs ands or buts about it. It was in all the news reports about the accident. It isn't some rumor, it's a fact. And, yes, he did kill a woman in the other car, a mother of two young children. His license wasn't suspended, but a newspaper account explained how it could have been (and should have been). He was able to retain his license.
        "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by nm View Post

          According to accounts I have read, Moroso was drunk when he left the restaurant with a female passenger. Furthermore, the crew of one of Nascar's best drovers ever was there, and did nothing to stop him from driving.
          Yeah that was the story I heard, I hope they can live with that with their consciouses.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by JThur1 View Post

            I'm surprised by all the "I heard this" in the posts. Moroso was drunk, he was more than twice the legal limit. There are no ifs ands or buts about it. It was in all the news reports about the accident. It isn't some rumor, it's a fact. And, yes, he did kill a woman in the other car, a mother of two young children. His license wasn't suspended, but a newspaper account explained how it could have been (and should have been). He was able to retain his license.
            Yeah, I remember now somehow they didn't want him to ruin his career losing his license. More or less a cover-up.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by THE BEAR View Post
              Earnhardt Jr.

              Had the best of sponsors. Had the best of equipment and team support.

              But decided he wanted to be "cool" and turned into a dope. Hat backwards. Singing career? Dufus of the first order for a few years.

              And by the time he figured out that racing was a very serious business his best years had passed him by.

              Sure, he won some races, because he had the talent and the equipment. But he never won a Cup championship --and more than likely he could have won a couple.

              Underperformed, for sure.
              BLASPHEMY. How dareth thou.
              "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post

                BLASPHEMY. How dareth thou.
                I didn't like Jr then but I'm a fan of his now. He seems like a good guy.

                But yeah he threw several years away being a J.O.

                He probably wouldn't have been allowed to cruise through life in his early 20s if his dad had been around to kick his ass when he did stupid things.

                See also Club E.
                Live like Dave

                Comment


                • #53
                  Not sure if you could say "Wasted Talent", but "What Might Have Been?"...Dick Trickle, what if he had a good car, same with Ken Schrader?, Johnny Benson?, Jimmy Spencer?

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by JSJLW View Post
                    Not sure if you could say "Wasted Talent", but "What Might Have Been?"...Dick Trickle, what if he had a good car, same with Ken Schrader?, Johnny Benson?, Jimmy Spencer?
                    Schrader had good cars with Hendrick and he under achieved.
                    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

                    No one had to badge the Offy.

                    Crapping all over threads since 2000.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by JSJLW View Post
                      Not sure if you could say "Wasted Talent", but "What Might Have Been?"...Dick Trickle, what if he had a good car, same with Ken Schrader?, Johnny Benson?, Jimmy Spencer?
                      Ken Schrader drove for Hendrick, Petree and MB2 - all organizations that found victory lane. He won 4 races in 9 seasons at Hendrick and zero elsewhere. He was a very good driver but what might have been was what really was. He got everything out of his potential.

                      Spencer won 2 restrictor plate races for Junior Johnson but was an also ran in most of the other races and he couldn't do much with Ganassi either. He had his opportunities.
                      Last edited by PastorOfMuppets; 03-25-2020, 09:59 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Yeah, come to think of it?

                        Bobby Hamilton > Ken Schrader with same cars basically.

                        Jimmy Spencer > Hut Stricklin with same teams, SEVERAL times. (Although Stricklin was a decent Restrictor Plate Driver)

                        Jimmy Spencer > Michael Waltrip with the 7 car...But = Mike Wallace, Spencer & Wallace both had 4 Top 10's with the 7 team, but Spencer had a Top 5, so Spencer may have a slight advantage.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

                          I didn't like Jr then but I'm a fan of his now. He seems like a good guy.

                          But yeah he threw several years away being a J.O.

                          He probably wouldn't have been allowed to cruise through life in his early 20s if his dad had been around to kick his ass when he did stupid things.

                          See also Club E.
                          Iheard a story that Senior buzzed ClubE in his helicopter to let Junior know he was home, and he was pissed.
                          "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post

                            Iheard a story that Senior buzzed ClubE in his helicopter to let Junior know he was home, and he was pissed.
                            Sounds like a Sr move
                            Live like Dave

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by PastorOfMuppets View Post

                              Ken Schrader drove for Hendrick, Petree and MB2 - all organizations that found victory lane. He won 4 races in 9 seasons at Hendrick and zero elsewhere. He was a very good driver but what might have been was what really was. He got everything out of his potential.

                              Spencer won 2 restrictor plate races for Junior Johnson but was an also ran in most of the other races and he couldn't do much with Ganassi either. He had his opportunities.
                              Schrader's a guy who probably could have won in anything, but was never likely to win a championship in much of it. Sometimes that happens. Juan Pablo Montoya won races in Cup on the road courses and had some ovals where he was clearly highly competitive every time (Indy, Martinsville), as well as competing for wins in F1. He didn't win titles in either. Did he waste his talent? No. He got as far as it was going to under the conditions.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Dick Trickle was approximately 487 years old when he ran Cup full time.

                                In his prime, he was a dominator of his own region when Cup was more of a great regional series than the absolute pinnacle of national stock car racing.
                                Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

                                Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

                                "I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

                                The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

                                Comment

                                Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X