Something different...Wasted Talent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something different...Wasted Talent!

Not necessary a "bust", but a driver that just seemed to have talent and then something went wrong and the career somehow got out of control.

Kyle Petty is probably the ultimate wasted talent candidate, he had a decent career going, then something happened after 1993, he won a race in 1994 at Dover, but after that he was just a backmarker.

Or maybe some like Kenny Wallace who just couldn't live up to what he did in the Busch Series, former Busch Champ, etc.

I guess I need to talk about something with the Coronavirus and everything.

My favorite...Steve Grissom a BGN Champ, had some potential, but just couldn't get it going.

Ricky Craven, once again had a huge potential, but struggled after that incident.

Tim Richmond.

Rob Moroso maybe?. Didn't like him cuz he was an original silver spooner but he won in everything he raced and was just getting started in Cup so we'll never know.

I know where he crashed. They straightened that section of highway out some time since that night.

Greg Sacks. He was crazy good in modifieds. Never made the transition.
    Live like Dave

Comment

Kyle actually finished 5th twice in 92 and 93, including the greatest Championship Hunt probably ever, dropped to finishing 15th in 1995 (his last win) & 1997.

I am not sure about Richmond, I wouldn't count illness as "Wasted Talent", or whatever other words you want to use, more like a tragedy.

Then again he was a very wild character, probably one step ahead of Kyle, one ended up with AIDS, the other ended up with a ruined marriage & career. He had a special around Daytona a couple of years ago where he confessed to it.

Sacks could be in the same boat as some of the other guys I mentioned, never had the proper equipment.

Moroso, may be the same as Richmond, alcoholism is an Illness...I have heard stories about him losing his license before that incident, I seen a documentary on him his crew member basically saying he was drunk that night, talked to the guy.

Also, there was guys like Eddie Bierschwale & Bobby Hillin, were they brought in by Daddy's Money, there always seemed to be several drivers out there with Daddy's Cars, even a kid named Richard Petty...Probably not all spoiled, but a few probably were.
      Last edited by JSJLW; 03-21-2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Kyle Petty pretty much ended up where he belonged. He probably wasn't as talented as his dad, and didn't have as much want-to. But only a few do. The influx of big money in Cup made it the destination in the 90s for young hotshoes across the country and provided fast cars for them to drive. They were fastballs Kyle couldn't hit.
        Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
          Kyle Petty pretty much ended up where he belonged. He probably wasn't as talented as his dad, and didn't have as much want-to. But only a few do. The influx of big money in Cup made it the destination in the 90s for young hotshoes across the country and provided fast cars for them to drive. They were fastballs Kyle couldn't hit.
          That could have been part of it. And yeah he probably was in the business because he was forced to.

Early in his career (Until about 89 or so) he was young driver who won a couple of races, including the Coke 600, and was OK.

1990-1993 was his prime where he was the "Next Tim Richmond", the self confessed "Playboy", and "Wild Child". He was basically competitive at that point winning a few more races.

1994-1997 or so he was starting to becoming more of a NASCAR "celebrity", trying to make a career in Music, etc.

1998-2000 he was focused with his son.

Of course after 2000 he was just around trying to carry his son legacy.

Yeah, maybe.

Comment

Larry Pearson. Two time BGN champ, never made it in Cup. 3 top 10's out of Cup 57 races.
            DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

I think Kyle wanted to race, and had talent, but he didn't have the last bit of desire that almost all the greats have.

Sort of a circle track Sam Posey. Happy to be there, happy to be competitive enough to keep doing it.

OTOH, Michael Andretti probably didn't like racing as much as either of those guys, and got into it because it was the family business, but he was really really good at it anyway.
              Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Everything has to be spot on to be successful in Cup. The Chevrolet teams have all been chasing there cars for two or three years now trying to catch up.

Take David Stremme. He never amounted to much on Nascar, but I saw him beat an ASA field with Kyle Busch at Salem and then beat Kyle Busch in a duel at the Winchester 400. When everything was equal he was every bit on the same level as probably the current best cup driver.

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
                  I think Kyle wanted to race, and had talent, but he didn't have the last bit of desire that almost all the greats have.

Sort of a circle track Sam Posey. Happy to be there, happy to be competitive enough to keep doing it.

OTOH, Michael Andretti probably didn't like racing as much as either of those guys, and got into it because it was the family business, but he was really really good at it anyway.
                  I agree about Kyle. He was torn between a music career and racing when he was first getting started.
                  "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post

I agree about Kyle. He was torn between a music career and racing when he was first getting started.
                    Yeah, that was what I meant when I called him a "racing celebrity", he always had it in him, but it seemed to get control of him by about the Mid-90's.

Then the mess with his son, and it probably pushed him to keep racing, but I am not sure if his heart was in it, he just stayed in it to keep his memory alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Roy View Post
                      Larry Pearson. Two time BGN champ, never made it in Cup. 3 top 10's out of Cup 57 races.
                      Another guy that would be on that list, a decent driver in the minors but could never get a decent Cup Ride.

DAVID Pearson 1 Top 10 in 6 Races in the Chattanooga Chew Car!

By the way, I looked it up Ricky Craven/Steve Grissom actually had relatively comparative stats in the 41 Kodiac Ride for Larry Hedrick...Then again David Green struggled mightily in the same ride! Grissom seemed to struggle a bit with Qualifying and Consistency, would run well the struggle, he also did the same with the 29 Car, don't know if it was him or the teams.

Comment

Loy Allen Jr. seem to be on the fringe of being a star, but he got hurt at Rockingham in 96 and just kind of faded away.
                        "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

Racing, like any other profession, when you play at the highest level it puts a premium on the little things. The little things separate good from great at every level. The greatness factor is typically not physical either, its mental. At the highest level almost all have the same skill, it's how they process information, the speed they process information and the consistency with which they process information that separate their performance.

Comment

I would make the distinction between, wasted talent and a driver having the top of his talent not reaching Cup.

Those two time Grand National champions like Larry Pearson, Randy Lajoie, one time champs Steve Grissom, Chuck Bown, Jeff and David Green and guys like Greg Sacks. Add to that Todd Bodine, Ron Hornaday jr in the Truck series. They were great to a point on the way up but their peak talent level wasn't high enough to make it in Cup. It's no different than in any other sport, some great college basketball players never make it in the NBA, how many Heisman trophy winners flop in the NFL? The same for coaches.

Wasted talent to me is someone like Robby Gordon. He started in sportscars, was in Indycars, shot pretty quickly to Cup and he won everywhere he went. But he didn't stay in any form of racing very long, never stayed with the same team for a third season I believe, because he just couldn't stuff his ego and personality in his helmet bag and get along with people. He could drive the wheels off of a car but I guess he just didn't like to be an employee and wanted to tell the owners, crew chief, mechanics that he knew better, maybe even sponsors, and got bounced.
                            "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                            "They're criminals"
                            "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Will Chase Elliott & Ryan Blaney be in this conversation by 2025?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X