"Speedweeks" (Plural) May Be A Thing of the Past in 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Speedweeks" (Plural) May Be A Thing of the Past in 2021

According to this article everything at Daytona might get done in a single week as early as next year. OT, but it's possible that the same thing could end up happening to the Indianapolis 500 soon. It costs a lot to keep the place open for the week of Practice and Qualifying and there is near zero interest. A solid week of activity including Practice and Time Trials leading up to the 500 could get fans to start coming for the entire week and plan their vacations around it. Penske Corporation isn't likely to keep the same format where no meaningful number of fans show up until Carb Day anymore.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/nasc...505783436.html

Two weekends at Daytona has been hard to justify for some time now. Pole qualifying for Daytona is a complete snoozer. It's not even really interesting. They could do the single-car qualifying Thursday morning, and still have the Twins/Duels Thursday night, and I don't think anyone would notice the difference. Attendance on the first weekend has slipped to friends & family levels.

As far as the demo derby that the Busch Clash has become...it's an expensive night that probably isn't worth it to the teams anymore. They have to bring a separate car for the Clash because they know it won't make it through the night to use in the real race. Aside from that, there's no reason to have two Exhibition/All-Star races during the season. Either make the Clash the All-Star race (and drop the one at Charlotte), or stick with Charlotte and wither the Clash.

Or they could move the Clash to Saturday night before the Daytona 500, that might be neat for fans, and maximize race weekend.
    Doctorindy.com

Comment

One week would be fine at Daytona because first they have the Charter system which means the full time guys are in the race, there aren't any big name one offs any more due to the few non guaranteed spots, they have 43 cars this year so 3 unimpressive cars go home, qualifying isn't much of a show and the duels just set the 2-30 slots. It's no different than Indy, if there aren't 5-10 extra cars and no really impressive extra drivers what' the point of going through all the motions just to leave 3 cars out and shuffle the rest? With the way the racing is some guys hang in the back, you can go from the back to the front in 10 laps and The Big One can take you out no matter what you do. If they do pre season testing at Daytona they don't even need much practice.

They should be adding other tracks and dropping the Clash and the All Star race.
      "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
      "They're criminals"
      "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

They had no on-track activity last week from Monday thru Wednesday. Cup has precious few practice sessions these days.

They dont need days and days of practice any more.

I think most everyone goes home for a few days after qualifying.

I was there for the ARCA race. Fun day. Saw 2 Cup practices, ARCA qualifying and the 200 for $25 and you sat wherever you wanted.

And it was still friends, family and me in the stands.

Took me less than 10 minutes to get up to cruising speed on 95 after I left the parking lot.
        Live like Dave

Comment

I was actually planning on being there this February just to take advantage of the low crowds on the first weekend. Of course we were going more for New Smyrna and Volusia, but I'm sure all of the other racing in Florida will remain unchanged regardless of what Daytona does.

Comment

They're just getting ready for when the Super Bowl is moved to this weekend in a few years. The NFL wants to add a 17th game and a 2nd bye week for each team. That would push the Super Bowl back two weeks. Moving the Daytona 500 one week is doable, two is a stretch.

Comment

No one shows up for qualifying anymore, or the Duals for that matter, and because there's next to no competition to make the field there's minimal practice time. There's no reason for this race to be a two weekend event.
              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Agree. "Speedweeks" is a thing of the past. Qualify on Wednesday then run out the rest of the week. Forget the ARCA race, it's a waste, and kill the Clash, it's an embarrassment.
                DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28 View Post
                  One week would be fine at Daytona because first they have the Charter system which means the full time guys are in the race, there aren't any big name one offs any more due to the few non guaranteed spots, they have 43 cars this year so 3 unimpressive cars go home, qualifying isn't much of a show and the duels just set the 2-30 slots. It's no different than Indy, if there aren't 5-10 extra cars and no really impressive extra drivers what' the point of going through all the motions just to leave 3 cars out and shuffle the rest? With the way the racing is some guys hang in the back, you can go from the back to the front in 10 laps and The Big One can take you out no matter what you do. If they do pre season testing at Daytona they don't even need much practice.

They should be adding other tracks and dropping the Clash and the All Star race.
                  Nobody cares about qualifying or qualifying races anymore. Its all about the race.

Comment

Forget the ARCA and Clash??

No way! I've always loved starting the oval season off with those two weekend events on a cold winters day.

Can't believe race fans want to axe well-established TV races on a weekend when there's nothing else going on in Motorsports.
                    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Continuity as a "Speedweeks" was set back when the Rolex was positioned in the pre-Super Bowl weekend. I wouldn't write off the Clash yet. As the movies say about sex, crashing sells. Kick off Speedweeks with practice Monday and a Tuesday night Clash. Move the ARCA race to Friday with the trucks. Keep the on-track activity up from Monday on.
                      You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Enjoyed the Duals, great start to the Nascar racing season

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post

Nobody cares about qualifying or qualifying races anymore. Its all about the race.
                          Do you think interest ever declines to a point where points or the past race results are used to set the field?
                          Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                            Continuity as a "Speedweeks" was set back when the Rolex was positioned in the pre-Super Bowl weekend. I wouldn't write off the Clash yet. As the movies say about sex, crashing sells. Kick off Speedweeks with practice Monday and a Tuesday night Clash. Move the ARCA race to Friday with the trucks. Keep the on-track activity up from Monday on.
                            Could the reworking of the schedule allow for the 24 as a kickoff event weekend 1 and then stock cars during the week leading up to the 250/300/500 weekend 2?
                            Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Originally posted by AGRiculture View Post
                              They're just getting ready for when the Super Bowl is moved to this weekend in a few years. The NFL wants to add a 17th game and a 2nd bye week for each team. That would push the Super Bowl back two weeks. Moving the Daytona 500 one week is doable, two is a stretch.
                              That could very well be part of the equation. A while back they moved Daytona a week later because they *thought* the NFL was going to shift the Super Bowl. But when it didn't happen, they moved it back to Presidents Day weekend. Now it is possible it's coming for real this time.
                              Doctorindy.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X