Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Rick Hendrick buy Nascar,ISC and/or SMI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick Hendrick put a huge dealership in the West End of Richmond. I do get a tinge of nostalgia just seeing that name on the building. I don't know how many acres he bought, Short Pump Towne Centre ain't cheap.

Pound for pound / car lot for car lot, Uncle Rick can't hold a candle to Roger's empire. How many times a day do you see the name Penske on the side of an 18 wheeler, a box truck or a cargo van?

Penske is getting paid to deliver the mail. My post office rents vans from Hertz/Penske.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Rick is swimming in the kiddie pool compared to Penske's resources.

Comment

Rick gets to sit in the front row at the Barrett Jackson. He is not doing too bad.
        "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

The $1B that Rick Hendrick is worth isn’t chicken feed.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
            Never mind NASCAR, Id be surprised if hes even running the team with his name over the door in a few years.

Oh he'll still be around but I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff (or maybe Dale?) will be running it day to day eventually

Thought I'd bump this.
            Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

A little off topic, but since we are comparing net worth of people, how does Joe Gibbs compete so well in Nascar against the likes of Roger Penske and Rick Hendrick. I know he was an NFL head coach but that job didn't pay what it does now back in the 80's and early 90's when he did most of his coaching. Maybe the Gibbs family has some other business interests, but it seems he doesn't have nearly the net worth as a Hendrick or Penske, yet his team competes right alongside them.

Comment

A successful NASCAR team should be able to support itself on manufacturer backing, sponsorships, merch and winnings/charter. IIRC Joe had some of his personal wealth at risk when he started his team 30 years ago, but I hope he isn't still in that position. If JGR gets upside down, I assume that the Gibbs family would sell or fold relatively soon. Coach Joe is a heck of an asset for fundraising, so I assume that the sponsorship side is as strong as any. JGR probably is operated now as a freestanding business that has to support itself.

Roger Penske has plenty of wealth, but he got it by cashing checks, not by writing them. The difference between Roger and Joe is that Roger would decide on his own to fold at around the same point that Joe's accountant would tell him that he has to fold. Roger might dip into his own pocket for the pleasure of Le Mans or an extra entry in the Indy 500 but I can't imagine him running a whole NASCAR season while knowing it's a loser.
                Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post

Thought I'd bump this.
                  Moments of brilliance good sir.
                  Live like Dave

Comment

Moments of brilliance good sir.
                    I told you people that two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 38special View Post
                      A little off topic, but since we are comparing net worth of people, how does Joe Gibbs compete so well in Nascar against the likes of Roger Penske and Rick Hendrick. I know he was an NFL head coach but that job didn't pay what it does now back in the 80's and early 90's when he did most of his coaching. Maybe the Gibbs family has some other business interests, but it seems he doesn't have nearly the net worth as a Hendrick or Penske, yet his team competes right alongside them.
                      I think there's a fair amount of Toyota influence in there nowadays, where they are essentially the factory team for the brand. All the other Toyota teams have had some connection with the Gibbs organization for the past few years, so I think that's a big part. It also doesn't hurt that they've been phenomenal at keeping sponsors - Interstate is still with the team after almost 30 years, and FedEx has been loyal as all get out.

Comment

Originally posted by 38special View Post
                        If net worth meant that much John Menard would have won how many Indianapolis 500's by now?

It isn't always about being the richest owner, it's how smart you are with the money you have. Coach Gibbs always seemed to be a smart guy and a good organizer. That team has also done pretty well in bringing talent on board.
                        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

I just saw a Dale Jarrett interview talking about when Joe Gibbs started the team.

Dale said it was a gamble that could have and almost was a disaster.

Joe started the team with 800,000 bucks. All the money he had. If it runs out, then that is it.

Dale got scared after he tore up 2 cars before leaving Daytona.

He said it might not have been such a great idea leaving the Wood Brothers.

Whatever Coach is worth today, he started out with less than a million dollar initial investment.

Comment

A shaker rig costs more than that now I believe

$800k will probably get a Cup team through two races. Maybe three.
                            Live like Dave

Comment

For context. Just saw on the news that Lebron James is the first active NBA player to be a billionaire. Big salary but far more money from endorsements, investments and outside income like the Space Jam 2 movie. Yes Michael Jordan passed the billionaire level years ago but only after he retired and continued his endorsement deals, clothing line, investments and stuff like being an owner of the Charlotte Hornets.
                              "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                              "They're criminals"
                              "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

A shaker rig costs more than that now I believe

$800k will probably get a Cup team through two races. Maybe three.
                                800,000 wont buy the certificate your new charter is printed on.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X