No announcement yet.

The Race That Killed The BY400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched about 10 laps. One thing I noticed is that on a half mile straight they did not even gain 20mph. How can that even be possible with the slick cars and much hp? Or do they have less hp that people think.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
      I watched about 10 laps. One thing I noticed is that on a half mile straight they did not even gain 20mph. How can that even be possible with the slick cars and much hp? Or do they have less hp that people think.
      I don't think theyre as slick as you may believe.

I think they went with a high downforce package.

Don't like it? Wait a few weeks. They'll change it up again Im sure
      Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99 View Post
        If NASCAR leaves IMS it will look more unfavorably upon NASCAR than it will IMS..
        Very few outside of I-465 will even notice.

DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post
          It will pretty much take NASCAR management admitting the experiment was a failure and I doubt they would do it out of sheer pride. So the race will probably struggle along for the near future.
          26 years, over a quarter of a century, is NOT an "experiment".

Comment

Originally posted by LAindycarfan80 View Post

IMS won't kill the race because its a revenue stream to them and also a major racing weekend. It will pretty much take NASCAR management admitting the experiment was a failure and I doubt they would do it out of sheer pride. So the race will probably struggle along for the near future.
            There's a stay of execution while the TV package is still delivering revenue to the track owners. When the TV package expires after the 2024 season, there could be some major contraction to the schedule. Tracks that have two dates going down to one, tracks jettisoned off the schedule completely, etc. I think it's a very good chance the BY400 is not run after 2024.
            Doctorindy.com

Comment

When the TV deal ends, the follow on deal will be for perhaps 10% of the money. IMS is in a unique position, in that the question is will NASCAR and/or its new TV partner make it worth IMS's bother to rent the place for the reflected glory and/or in a vainglorious attempt to play pretend the idiotic changes to the sport were not all grave mistakes, or not. For the rest of the tracks, and teams, the $$ are simply drying up and some tracks will become new housing developments, some will be left to rot, some will revert to farmland. The schedule, mid next decade, is probably 20 races, half of them gimmicks, with 20-30 cars, spread out among 10 - 12 tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy View Post

There's a stay of execution while the TV package is still delivering revenue to the track owners. When the TV package expires after the 2024 season, there could be some major contraction to the schedule. Tracks that have two dates going down to one, tracks jettisoned off the schedule completely, etc. I think it's a very good chance the BY400 is not run after 2024.
                It will be IMS's decision. Probably based on whether it's worth opening the gates and the concession stands to collect that revenue and to clean up after the show. As long as the promoter's deal is just 65/25/10 of the TV money, the show doesn't cost IMS money to book.

There's also some value for IMS to being part of the biggest racing series in the country. All of the movers and shakers of that series come to IMS every year. It's much better than a trade show booth or cold calling.
                Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

I agree to a point. However, with some of the cable networks that have sprung up and are desperate for programming I think there will be some network that pays for the rights. It is likely FAR less than they are getting now, but I suspect if there is even a slight profit for IMS they remain on the schedule.

The kill to the race just might be the July 4 date, unless there is a surprise and temp lights get installed. Or there is a massive concert draw that weekend. The heat was bad enough late July with a 2 or 3 ET start.
                  "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
                    High downforce. Much like other race cars, these cars are WAY over engineered.
                    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Well as long as the TV money is there the race will stay. They could have nobody show up for the rest of the Brickyard 400 and the race will still be there just because of how much money NASCAR gets from TV.

Comment

IIRC, IMS receives approximately $20MM in TV money for the BY400 weekend ($15M for Monster Cup, $5M for Xfinity).
                        BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                          IIRC, IMS receives approximately $20MM in TV money for the BY400 weekend ($15M for Monster Cup, $5M for Xfinity).
                          It would be interesting to know how much ABC(?) paid IMS for the 400 in 1994.

Could it be possible theyre still bringing in a good portion of what they did when they sold every available ticket?
                          Live like Dave

Comment

$5 mil for Xfinity tv And there weren’t 10,000 in the stands it appeared from watching on tv.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

It would be interesting to know how much ABC(?) paid IMS for the 400 in 1994.

Could it be possible theyre still bringing in a good portion of what they did when they sold every available ticket?
                              The most recent total posted purse for the Brickyard is 2015, which was under the current TV contract: $8,385,365. It rose in a pretty straight line from about $3m (1994) to $8m (2005), and hovered around $8m til 2015. Since 2001, the Speedway's minimum contribution to the purse has been a fixed percentage of the TV money. The purse stayed about the same from 2000 (when IMS cut its own deal with ABC) to 2001. Unless the Hulmans have started putting extra in the kitty, they didn't take a cut in TV money from 1994 to 2015 (the first year of the current TV deal).
                              Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
                                Unless the Hulmans have started putting extra in the kitty, they didn't take a cut in TV money from 1994 to 2015 (the first year of the current TV deal).
                                I'm pretty sure that the current TV money sharing formula pre-dates the 2015 TV contract. Unless I'm mistaken, it goes all the way back to the first consolidated TV contract, which I believe started in 2001.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X