Full Brickyard Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Brickyard Sunday

As was discussed they will practice on Saturday then Qualify Sunday morning at 11:00 and start the race at 2:00 all the while hoping it doesn't rain that weekend
    "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Maybe the only race on the schedule that is one of the biggest races of the year and just another race at the same time
    Live like Dave

Comment

I think it's a good idea EXCEPT they should impound the car immediately after qualifying and start the race with same tires, fuel, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by 4 Corner Fan View Post
        I think it's a good idea EXCEPT they should impound the car immediately after qualifying and start the race with same tires, fuel, everything.
        Why and for what purpose? Isn't part of racing being able to work on the car...

Comment

Racing is whatever the rulebook says it is.

The purpose of impounding the cars in this case would be to require some guessing about trading single lap speed for race speed to get a good starting position at a track where passing is tough. A possible outcome is that some ambitious back marker would go for a straight qualifying setup, then try to hold on as long as possible til he's inevitably passed. Or maybe he holds on all the way to the end. Until the usual suspects get through the pack to the front and normality resumes, it could be fun to watch.
          Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

This isn't going to help Saturday attendance, but it should make Sunday a lot more interesting. I'll get to the track a lot earlier.
            "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
              Exactly.

Comment

I guess there's some benefit to the teams or they hope some people come early on Sunday and buy more concessions between qualifying and the start of the race. The thing is the same people who have been there on Saturday for qualifying are going to be the same ones that show up early to see it on Sunday. If it's being done as an experiment then I'm fine with it. They can say it works and it spreads other tracks or it does nothing for Sunday and hurts Saturday and they end it.

At any number of other tracks an impound race is no problem. At IMS and the way those cars run there, I think they need to allow teams to change their cars from a qualifying set up to a race set up for the sake of the show.
                "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                "They're criminals"
                "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by Z28 View Post
                  I guess there's some benefit to the teams or they hope some people come early on Sunday and buy more concessions between qualifying and the start of the race. The thing is the same people who have been there on Saturday for qualifying are going to be the same ones that show up early to see it on Sunday. If it's being done as an experiment then I'm fine with it. They can say it works and it spreads other tracks or it does nothing for Sunday and hurts Saturday and they end it.

At any number of other tracks an impound race is no problem. At IMS and the way those cars run there, I think they need to allow teams to change their cars from a qualifying set up to a race set up for the sake of the show.
                  Or, the teams will just qualify with their race set up, probably with some extra tape on the nose. Track position is important but it is not like a fast car can't work its way to the front.

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post

The purpose of impounding the cars in this case would be to require some guessing about trading single lap speed for race speed to get a good starting position at a track where passing is tough. A possible outcome is that some ambitious back marker would go for a straight qualifying setup, then try to hold on as long as possible til he's inevitably passed. Or maybe he holds on all the way to the end. Until the usual suspects get through the pack to the front and normality resumes, it could be fun to watch.
                    Sounds a little gimmicky to me. I've never been an advocate for "impound" style races at any of the top levels of motorsports. Qualifying and racing are two totally different aspects of an event, and they should be treated as such. The cars are machines. And they can be fickle machines at times. Crews should be able to work on their cars all the way up to the time they wheel them to the grid. That should be their prerogative. I'm ok with not allowing the old 'qualifying engines', etc., but I don't think cars should qualify with 'race setups'...ever.

As for same-day qualifying, I think it's an experiment at least worth trying out. It provides more track action for Sunday. A little bit more bang for the buck. If weather doesn't interfere, it might help draw people into the gates earlier than they would previously.
                    Doctorindy.com

Comment

Qualifying is a necessary evil to have a race with multiple cars on a relatively small track; it's either that or assign starting spots at random.

If we want to have a time trial as an event, that's fine. Otherwise, it's subservient to the race.
                      Last edited by atrackforumfan; 07-16-2019, 11:12 AM.
                      Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X