seeking fan opnion on Brian France and NASCAR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seeking fan opnion on Brian France and NASCAR

I am writing a column on the future of baseball that will include a parallel between Rob Manfred's desire to change baseball and the changes Brian France made to NASCAR. Would anyone be willing to be interviewed for a fan perspective (or an insider one if any on here are willing to speak)? You can either be on the record or anonymous. Your choice.

Here's a link to my work

https://247sports.com/User/Arthur%20Kinney/
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

The changes coming to baseball address concerns that have been raised for many years and should be looked at. Games dragging on has long been a problem which relates directly to TV. Reducing the number of mound visits per game doesn't hurt anyone who can just yell at the pitcher. Requiring pitchers to finish an inning or face at least three batters means 2 less times guys run i from the bullpen, take their warmup pitches and walk the one one batter they were brought in to get out. Relief pitchers used to be able to pitch to three batters. That's better than saving time by not allowing relievers coming in to throw warm up pitches on the actual mound.

The players union will be happy to have 26 players on the roster all year long and only going to 28 for the last month just means fewer relief pitchers throwing to just one batter which the other rule takes up. It also means fewer pinch hitters just to use a platoon system 6 times in a game instead of 3. None of these things dramatically changes the game

What NASCAR under Brian, and let's not act like he did all of what happened on his own, did fundamentally change the sport. Adding the Chase/playoffs greatly changed the points championship. Adding the stages, with the cautions which I have said from the start are the unnecessary part, brought more micro managing to the races. In addition to the long tradition of fake cautions. Because they decided restarts make for action. The charters might have been a great idea for team owners 20 years ago but since the recession the fields have shrunk from 43 and now they don't get 40 all the time. Today they need some way to assist new team owners to start up in Cup, and well as the other 2 national series. Find a way to make a part time effort work on the business side and maybe work with those small teams to have them show up at different events so the field gets to 40 but nobody has to go home, that's what will encourage more new team owners.

Now a few things like the West Coast swing ended up being good. Grouping those three tracks early in the season gave the schedule a coherent start after Daytona and Atlanta. The mistake was not finding a way to replicate that during the rest of the season. Maybe Texas, Kansas (both off I-35) and Iowa, or Kansas, Michigan and Kentucky, New Hampshire, Pocono and Watkins Glen. Iowa, Chicagoland and Pocono (all along I-80 basically) . I think that would really work well if they would have 2,3,4 Truck Xfinity double header weekends grouped together geographically.

"You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
    "They're criminals"
    "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

The basic parallels between Brian "Baby" France and Rob Manfred are there. And both have the same psychological origin, IMHO.

France is a rich kid. He, unlike his father and grandfather, has no love of motor sports, nor of motor sports fans. He is just another rich kid, sitting in some rich kid club, mildly embarassed that his fortune comes from something so rural, southern, common and blue collar, and wishing granddaddy had owned a steel mill or a shipping line. He was open to stupid changes because he never liked the sport in the first place.

Manfred is a labor lawyer. His firm happened to represent MLB. Butterfly effect and he gets the International Sisterhood of Airline Stewardesses and we have never heard of him. He doesn't like baseball. He doesn't understand it and doesn't care about it. Thus he ACTUALLY BELIEVES stupidity like the game being too long (actually it is the same length it has always beee, 27 outs) and dull. And thus he is open to idiotic changes.

Obviously baseball is, and always was, many levels ahead of NASCAR, but the results of Manfred's idiocy will be the same as Baby's.

Comment

I agree with Z28. Changes like the addition of wild card games, the single game wildcard playoff, and home advantage being determined by the All Star Game are all really really significant choices to the game that fundamentally changed the way teams approached the season. I don't think they were necessarily negatives either. Some of these rules related to mound visits and the like will probably see more ads squeezed into the same block of time baseball always had before. How many people here have been to a minor league game that went from first pitch to last out in right around 2 hours and change? Happens all the time to me.

NASCAR's problems are so structural and so deeply affect the way the sport is approached that it has in many ways been far more damaging. And it continues: I just read an article this week that part of the concept for redoing the schedule is to move Daytona from the first race of the year to the 3rd or 4th. Seriously? I get that this wasn't the case until 1982, but at some point someone realized that it was better to do Speedweeks first and carry the rest of the season off that rather than have races less than no one cares about. I was born in 1983- I'm not "old" but I'm definitely not a kid and realize that a huge portion of the fanbase has no memory of a world in which Riverside (or something else) was the kickoff just as I have no memory of that.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIXUHruEaQ&app=desktop

Comment

Working...
          X