Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three IWC talking heads think NASCAR is above the laws of the land.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three IWC talking heads think NASCAR is above the laws of the land.

Tonight Michael, Kenny and Johnny all said that the police should be left out of the Spencer/Bush happening and then NASCAR can take care of it. Well, if an assault did take place anywhere in this country, whether on public or private land, it is a matter for the police to investigate and prosecute. This is the kind of thinking that lets athletes in all sports think they are so special they are above the law and untouchable. Even NASCAR isn't that special. Besides, if there was an assault, all NASCAR would is what they always do, study it, then stonewall it.

So then you advocate that all baseball and hockey fights result in jail time?

Fights in a sports context are the business of the leagues and competetors, only. Not the cops.

You would think, having the Murder City in their state, the local cops could find something useful to do, and leave sports to run sports.

Comment

I think the fact that the incident occured AFTER the race was over is key here. After the race or ballgame or whatever they are no longer protected by the event in which they were participating. Thus they become just like you and me.

If you walked up and punched Kurt Bush do you think you would be prosecuted?

Bush filed a complaint and the cops got involved. Simple.

Comment

Michael, Kenny and Johnny were just repeating what Helton told them to say. I for one think an assault charge is just what Jimmy deserves.

Comment

Oh, for God's sake, Mackie. Pull up your panties. You've been a short tracker for a lot of years, and you know this stuff happens. Or did you advocate the police arresting AJ and charging him with assault after Texas '98? Or Cheever and Unser when they went after the hapless Harrington at Dover 99?
          "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

While I'm not in favor of the law getting involved , this time I'll make an admittedly hypocritical exception.

Spencer is a bum.
            He's been a bum in every division he's ever raced in.
            Anything he gets from this is deserved and long overdue.
            Did I mention he's a bum?
            “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
            I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
            I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Amend "bum" in previous post to "hack".
              I don't want bums to have to live with the insulting thought Spencer is good enough to be one of them.
              “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
              I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
              I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

I'm still pizzed at Calinoff for runnin over me foot!
                Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Did Busch file a report with the police? Or did the police get involved right away?
                  IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Originally posted by jandj

Spencer is a bum.
                    ...and Busch is a punk who deserved to get punched by somebody. Since Terry Labonte was too nice to do it after the Brickyard, Spencer will have to do.

Professor Joe
                    Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

I find it interesting that, years ago, this kind of event was credited with putting NASCAR 'on the map'. Only this time it wasn't on live TV during the final laps of the Daytona 500.

You could argue that no driver other than Spencer would have done this. BUT, what if it was Dale Jr. punching out Jeff Gordon?

Think about it.
                      To a New Yorker like yourself, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Comment

Originally posted by SamC
                        So then you advocate that all baseball and hockey fights result in jail time?

Fights in a sports context are the business of the leagues and competetors, only. Not the cops.

Last night at a local minor league game a hit batsman went to the mound with his bat, swung and hit the pitcher with it. While the shot only hit the pitcher in the waist, is not a bat a lethal weapon? Should be batter face prosecution in this case?
                        "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                        ~~Groucho Marx
                        I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

What effect do incidents like this have on the kids?

Kids seeing their heros acting out at almost any provocation. We see it in stick and ball all the time. Parents attacking umpires in little league baseball, hockey players using their sticks as weapons, baseball pitchers throwing at hitters.

You know, my rival company just won a big contract over me. I think I’ll just go over there and beat up their sales manager! They cant do any thing to me I’m the President of my company!

I can F--- this B---- I’m Kobe Bryant!

You can’t cheat on me B---- I’m OJ Simpson!

And the beat goes on...

Comment

On the other hand, a minor assault following provocation would not result in much (minor fine, conditional discharge, whatever) - would it be beneficial to tie up precious Court time when someone else can administer a brand of justice quickly?
                            "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

Originally posted by MD-IRLFAN
                              You could argue that no driver other than Spencer would have done this. BUT, what if it was Dale Jr. punching out Jeff Gordon?

Think about it.
                              I can't. The thought of it makes me smile too much and then my co-workers think i'm high.
                              Johnny Lightning beats them all!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X