Spencer suspended 'til August 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spencer suspended 'til August 26

Jimmy Spencer was handed a suspension today after his post-race altercation with Kurt Busch after Sunday’s GFS Marketplace 400 at Michigan Int’l Speedway. Spencer is suspended from any NASCAR-sanctioned competition until Aug. 26, and both Spencer and Busch have been placed on probation until Dec. 31.
    RacingOne Link

Inspired by a report on the forum from Jimmy Spencer's official web site, so take with the appropriate grains of salt...

If it's true that "Rubberhead" was heard over the radio earlier in the race describing his intent to make Jimmy "dance" (and I'm sure y'all noticed their bumping incidents during the telecast), then the way the penalties were given out is a total joke. As much as I like "Mr. Excitement" for his entertainment value, his penaly is deserved for using violent means to express his displeasure. "Busch-league" on the other hand gets a little slap on the wrist for endangering Spencer, himself, and their fellow competitors on the track during the race. No, I don't believe the penalty for "Skurt" should be a severe as Jimmy's, but there should have been more IMO than some weak-#$% probation.

So, who wants to put J.J. Yeley or Billy Boat in the 7 car this weekend?
    Johnny Lightning beats them all!

Comment

Did I understand that Busch has also filed charges against Spencer?

While I certainly don't condone what Spencer did & his punishment is deserved, I think Busch bears a certain degree of responsibility beyond "probation." Plus that whiny little statement about his "cartilege damage" was just a little too pious and put-on.
      #BCForever

Comment

Yes

In the NASCAR world, punching a guy in the nose in the garage is much worse than sending a guy into the wall at 200.

The latter sells tickets.

Hey, Sterling Marlin got support for the Earnhardt incident.
        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Belanger99, that is pretty low re Sterling, watching the tape I could not see that the cars even touched let alone there being a deliberate attempt to put the 3 into the wall.
          "An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL." -Indy Review 1996

Comment

I agree with Liz. I believe this can be solved without bringing the law in the picture. Punching out Busch is not the smartest thing Spencer ever did but if one looks at the 50+ years of NASCAR or racing in general, this is hardly a novelty.

Solve this thing in-house and keep the law out of it. If not, I forsee this situation not resolving itself and, God forbid, paybacks on the race track.

Comment

I'm wondering if Nascar decided to suspend Jimmy for Bristol to allow all parties to cool off a little? Bristol does lend itself to paybacks.........
              SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring
                I'm wondering if Nascar decided to suspend Jimmy for Bristol to allow all parties to cool off a little? Bristol does lend itself to paybacks.........
                Didn't Jimmy Spencer say something about "real men race at Bristol" when talking about the road warriors that came into Watkins Glen? Poor Jimmy isn't a real man I guess.
                IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

I remember in grade school on the playground during recess, there was this little weasel that would always try to get something started. As soon as he succeeded, he would run straight to the teacher crying and tell on whoever reacted to his taunts. I always thought that the weasel deserved everything he got and more, but the teachers always thought he was the one being picked on. Some things never change. Once a weasel, always a weasel.:mad: Take your choice.
                  "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

spencer/busch

I think Bristol would be the perfect place for a good old street fight on the start finish line. It's a small track with a huge crowd right there to see everything. The 2 drivers can use chairs, cheese graters, and baseball bats wrapped in barbed wire. It would be like ECW at the track. And they have to throw in a few tables to jump through just for fun. Their new advertising campain, "Nascar, The most electrifying form or racing in sports entertainment!!" I think it would go over pretty well.

Jason
                    I want chicken I want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

Comment

Ensign, I didn't mean to say Sterling did it on purpose.

My point is, that on track incidents are much more serious than what happened at Michigan in the garage area Sunday, but do not seem to carry the stiffer penalty they require.

Had NASCAR wanted to send a message regarding the on track garbage going on, they'd have parked Spencer for the remainder of 2002 after the Brickyard.

Quite honestly, I'd rather see NASCAR let these guys hash it out behind the big red trailer, than on the race track.

And bringing in the law, then whining about your face to the media, that's a geek for you.
                      "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

His nose is broken and will take about 3 months to completely heal, and he might even need reconstructive surgery. If someone did that to me I'd be bringing in the law, too. Whether or not Busch provoked Spencer, or how much of a punk Busch is, doesn't matter, at minimum Spencer deserved the very punishment he got.

My point is, that on track incidents are much more serious than what happened at Michigan in the garage area Sunday, but do not seem to carry the stiffer penalty they require.
                        On track accidents = usually the intent was not to send someone crashing into the wall
                        Punching someone = in all cases the intent is to injury the other person
                        Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

NASCAR has a problem with both the guys in additon to their altercation. When I think about it, the reason most of us don't have a whole lot of sympathy for these two is because of the way they treat the newbies.

Both Spencer and Busch show no patience at all for the slower traffic they are over taking. So many times, when they obviously have the better equipment, they seem to prefer to shunt the traffic they are passing instead of patiently waiting a couple of straightaways for the opportunity to just drive around them. And they seem fairly merciless at what point of the track they do this.

I understand some of this. When you come from fender racing on local short tracks, 5-10 lap heats and 20-30 lap features don't give folks much time to get to the transfer spots. Some of the locals (like Aylor) here in Houston area have made their careers by never aquiring that patience.

But it has much less of a place at the high speed venues. NASCAR needs to deal with this lack of patience with some of others as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxpayer
                            When you come from fender racing on local short tracks, 5-10 lap heats and 20-30 lap features don't give folks much time to get to the transfer spots.
                            You're not giving Jimmy enough credit , he was able to do the same thing w/o the benefit of fenders during his Modified days.

For anyone who followed Mods/Late Model Sportsman ( including the first couple years it was BGN ) in the years past , there were two drivers to watch.

In Mods it was Spencer , in LMS it was Tommy Ellis.

Both were real good drivers but you didn't want to be around either of 'em for more than a lap of two or you were going to be headed the wrong direction.

They'd wreck you if you didn't get out of the way fast enough.
                            They'd wreck you if they thought they "owed you one".
                            They'd wreck you if they thought you were gonna pass them for the win.
                            They'd wreck you if they thought you might be competition later in the race.
                            Sometimes they'd wreck you for no particular reason other than of pure mean-ness.

At least when Ellis got to Cup he calmed down.
                            Jimmy's still doing the same things he's done his whole career.
                            “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                            I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                            I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

The tape, played on Wind Tunnel tonight: I wanted to flatten out his fender - Kurt Busch about the 7 car. My thoughts: After hearing that, he should also be set down for a week. Michigan is to fast a track to play those kind of games. Betcha someone does a job on Kurt, somewhere down the road.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X