Stewart's Late Pit Stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewart's Late Pit Stop

I lurk far more than I post here. But, I found Tony's quote, "Beats me, ask the crew. They might know something." in the article below interesting enough to comment.

http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/story/6516775

I listened to the entire exchange between Tony and Zip on the scanner. Tony's car had gone tight after the two tire stop and he was not gaining on the leader at the time, McMurray. Tony wanted to pit for left sides and Zip didn't want to give up the track position. At the last second as Tony was approaching pit lane, Zip said, "do what you want to do" and Tony pitted. It was clearly Tony's call. Ask the crew. They certainly do know something.

Cheers,

Beans

It cost him spots but not the race.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

thanks for the info. It cost him a top 3 IMHO. W#ay to risky with 10 laps left. Idiotic at that track if you ask me especially with a probable double file restart since the yellow came out with 15 laps left.

Comment

What's the rule on single file starts late in the race? Bill Elliot sounded pretty ticked off.
        To a New Yorker like yourself, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Comment

Originally posted by MD-IRLFAN
          What's the rule on single file starts late in the race? Bill Elliot sounded pretty ticked off.
          Restart with 10 laps or less to go and it's a single file restart. The race restarted with 11 laps to go which meant a double file restart and the leaders had to contend with the lapped cars. A definite advantage to the leader once he cleared the inside lapped car.
          "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

If a race goes back to green with less than 10 laps the restart is single file and no lapped cars are in the way. But they went green coming to lap 150 while still on lap 149.
            "Remember, your kids can get student loans, but there's no such thing as a retirement loan."

Comment

Originally posted by $noopy
              Restart with 10 laps or less to go and it's a single file restart. The race restarted with 11 laps to go which meant a double file restart and the leaders had to contend with the lapped cars. A definite advantage to the leader once he cleared the inside lapped car.

...and it was perfectly demonstrated too.
              ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Next question - Why do they line up the lapped cars on the inside? To purposely muck things up? It automatically takes away the preferred line going into the corner.

Also, when lining up single file within the last ten laps. Do lapped cars line up within the field (such as in the IRL) or do they moved to the back of the line?
                To a New Yorker like yourself, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Comment

Next question - Why do they line up the lapped cars on the inside? To purposely muck things up? It automatically takes away the preferred line going into the corner.

Also, when lining up single file within the last ten laps. Do lapped cars line up within the field (such as in the IRL) or do they moved to the back of the line?
                  On some track, the inside line is the preferred line. On others, it's the outside that's the best. They line up at the rear.
                  "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

Thanks $noop

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X