Very Enjoyable Day at the Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Enjoyable Day at the Track

I begrudgingly went to the track today with Mrs. Detector and TD, Jr. We rolled into my father-in-law's house around 12:30, BS'd with him for awhile and walked to the track. We got to our seats right before they began the driver introductions. Lots of Jr. fans, lots of Gordon fans & haters, lots of boos for Kyle Petty -- including me -- boos for Ryan Newman & Tony Stewart and cheers for Bill Elliott.

Couldn't do anything but roll my eyes when Andretti got sent to the back. Even more depressing when he got taken out. I'm not sure what happened but he said, "Mikey should thank me that I didn't hit him." I'm sure he was referring to Waltrip but I don't think he was blaming him.

Stewart & Jr. were the story early on. They were passing drivers at will. I was listening on the scanner to Robby Gordon after Stewart passed him on the outside of turns one and two. Gordon radio'd to his team, "That was impressive."

Great exchanges between Jimmie Johnson & McMurray. Johnson was a little...uh...displeased at #42's tactics. Listening to Johnson's chief trying to talk him calm reminded me of listening to Ray Evernham trying to settle a young Jeff Gordon down during early BY400's.

TD, Jr. was having a blast giving a double thumbs up every time the #20 car came by. Mrs. TD was sad because Andretti had such a tough day. (She went to high school with him.)

I was extremely proud of the performances put on by several of the drivers I used to watch in USAC, but for some reason I don't connect with Newman the way I do with the others. I'm not sure why.

I really thought either #20 or #42 were going to win the race. I had all but forgotten about #29.

Overall I had a 100% blast. Lord knows I give Nascar a lot of grief but I had great fun today and wish I could do it again tomorrow.

One complaint: As near as I could tell there were two times they re-started the race with the tail end of the lead lap in front of the leaders. Each instance resulted in first lap crashes. Can this rule be scrapped?
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

One more thing...

Matt Kenseth may be the smoothest Nascar driver I've ever seen.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Re: Very Enjoyable Day at the Track

Originally posted by Truth Detector
      One complaint: As near as I could tell there were two times they re-started the race with the tail end of the lead lap in front of the leaders. Each instance resulted in first lap crashes. Can this rule be scrapped?
      Not sure how that happens in NASCAR. I can't think of a good reason for it.
      "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Matt Kenseth may be the smoothest Nascar driver I've ever seen.
        It took you long enough to mention The Man

My guess is that when he was announced the scene was like one of those Bug Bunny cartoons when Daffy Duck would do something and the audience was so quite you heard crickets chirping off in the distance.
        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

why in the world would anyone boo kyle petty?
          It's a brand new day.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL
            My guess is that when he was announced the scene was like one of those Bug Bunny cartoons when Daffy Duck would do something and the audience was so quite you heard crickets chirping off in the distance.

100% correct.

Odd for the points leader, eh?
            Center Grove Trojans
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofan
              why in the world would anyone boo kyle petty?

For firing John Andretti.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

100% correct.

Odd for the points leader, eh?
                No, it's what I expected. Many people still think Junior was Rookie of the Year in 2000.

And Kenseth could care less.
                The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Yep, you've been following him longer than I have. He's just like a burr on your butt that you just can't get rid of. He's always near the front no matter what happens. He runs strong, passes smoothly, almost invisible....very reminiscent (sp?) of Rick Mears IMHO.
                  Center Grove Trojans
                  2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

He runs strong, passes smoothly, almost invisible....very reminiscent (sp?) of Rick Mears IMHO.
                    Darrell Waltrip, Benny Parson, and our own Racewriter have compared him to David Pearson. But the comparison to Mears is also appropriate not just for the reasons you listed (which I agree with) but also for the remarkable ability to cleanly negotitiate traffic and seemingly never make an accident inducing mental mistake.
                    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X