Bob Jenkins on the P.A.???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Jenkins on the P.A.???

Watching it on TV, was it me or did I hear Bob Jenkins doing some of the reporting on the public address system?

He wasn't in the booth for the radio network, Mike King was. That and he isn't on NBC (Allen Bestwick does that). Perhaps he just can't fathom being away from the mic at Indy during a race...if it was, good for him!
    Doctorindy.com

Could it have been Dave Calaboro? I know they sound like each other at times.
    He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?

Comment

Originally posted by R_Mears_Fan
      I heard it also. I am 90% sure it was Dave Calaboro.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Mears_Fan
        Could very well have been...they do sound a little alike...
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Just got home - Bob Jenkins was part of the P.A. crew today.
          I ain't quiet, everybody else is too loud.

Comment

...yup, just got home myself and Bob Jenkins did most of the mid-to-late race broadcasting at the track (much like Calabro does during the Indy 500).
            ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Nice to have some top notch help for Tom Carnegie.
              The place won't be the same when he's gone.
              Offer a prayer he makes it AT LEAST to 500 number 100.
              Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

...I was suprised though when Jenkins said that Jimmy Stewart was running a great race!!

I guess that would be a Wonderful Life!!
                ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan
                  ...I was suprised though when Jenkins said that Jimmy Stewart was running a great race!!

I guess that would be a Wonderful Life!!
                  Tom was showing signs today as he said Tony George stopped in for a splash and go on that last caution when he meant to say Tony Stewart. 2 years ago he called Steve Park by the name Sam Hornish (which some where like who is Sam Hornish). But I understand with Tom's age.

Comment

Originally posted by jrandrew00
                    Tom was showing signs today as he said Tony George stopped in for a splash and go on that last caution when he meant to say Tony Stewart. 2 years ago he called Steve Park by the name Sam Hornish (which some where like who is Sam Hornish). But I understand with Tom's age.
                    I love Tom C., and he'll aways be a Speedway legend...but you are correct...he's been on the mumble machine for quite some time now, and with the number of drivers/cars he has to remember, it's amazing he gets what he does correct.

Two biggies stick out in my mind...the ole' Mark Marlin/Sterling Martin last name swap...

and from 1992 Indy quals, Guerrero just set the record in his pole run, but ran out of fuel on the cool down lap. Tom's raving about the run, going on and on...and he ends it with "...AND HERE HE IS, BACK INTO THE PITS!!!" Unfortunately he was nowhere near the pit area, and in fact, I beleive it was John Totten quickly responded..."Uh, Tom, he didn't make, he stopped on the backstrech!"
                    Doctorindy.com

Comment

Heard a good line yesterday, listening to the in-car feed on the PPV deal, after a re-start, the spotter said "And he's on it!".
                      Straight from Tom C. Who says the NASCAR boys don't feel the spirit of Indy.

Comment

Unless you've been in the PA booth, with all sorts of people running in and out, yakking at you, and the noise, I'd say it's hard to be critical.

Bob Jenkins was there, and did quite a bit of the PA work. I am sure it's the H-G way of trying to make up for the crummy way ABC/ESPN has treated the man, replacing him with a man who simply works better on the radio than he does on television. IMO, Paul Page's best work was on the IMS radio network.

Bob does a wonderful job on the PA system, and I certainly welcome more of him as Tom needs breaks. Bob certainly loves the sport and the Speedway, and to me is one of those unique people that have given far more to the sport than they've taken from it.
                        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Belanger99
                          IMO, Paul Page's best work was on the IMS radio network.
                          Couldn't say it better. I agree 100%. His Indy 500 radio broadcsts (1977-87) were very good if you've ever heard them. He was doing some TV part-time with NBC at the time...CART used to be on NBC in the early 80's before ABC/ESPN took over completely...but pretty much when he went TV full-time (1988) something happened to him, and he just fell off the wagon
                          Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy
                            Couldn't say it better. I agree 100%. His Indy 500 radio broadcsts (1977-87) were very good if you've ever heard them. He was doing some TV part-time with NBC at the time...CART used to be on NBC in the early 80's before ABC/ESPN took over completely...but pretty much when he went TV full-time (1988) something happened to him, and he just fell off the wagon
                            You can even see the difference in the last 10 years. I just watched the 1996 Indy 500 and when somebody passed for the lead, he was calm and just said it with emotion but not that screaming style and saying "Whoa." I think he totally changed after he stopped doing the IRL after the 1998 season.
                            If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

Doc

Paul was one of the few (Bob the other) who understood what Sid Collins did for the IMS radio broadcasts, and in their own way tried to continue the poetry, pagentry that Sid brought to the IMS radio network.

We know that Bob Jenkins did not care for the responsbility (he has said so in interviews) of being the head man, he said it was quite exhausting.

Page should have stayed in the job, IMO and done the part-time TV gig. Some of his IMS broadcasts were excellent, and I doubt too many (including Sid) could have topped his call of the 1982 race.

Jenkins did a really good job, IMO on the radio broadcasts. I'm still deciding on Mike King, he's adequate, he's gotten better, but I'm not ready to place him with at least 3 of his 4 predecessors. Just my opinion.
                              "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X