Clarification on Pit Lane re: BY400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on Pit Lane re: BY400

First, I make no apologies for watching an event at IMS - but what was the comment by Dale Jarret's crew chief about only a one lane pit road? What is the difference in width between the cars and how does that impact the drive through lanes on pit lane? Further, what is the standard for tracks?

Re: Clarification on Pit Lane re: BY400

Originally posted by toonces2
    First, I make no apologies for watching an event at IMS - but what was the comment by Dale Jarret's crew chief about only a one lane pit road? What is the difference in width between the cars and how does that impact the drive through lanes on pit lane? Further, what is the standard for tracks?
    Aloha Tune's,,,,

This is a great race, so far... Anyone that bad mouths NASCAR or this race is just a "Rookie Race Fan",,, it's just that simple...

These cars are fast, it was only twenty years ago, that Indy car's would love to have gone this fast... 3500 pounds, tube frame, and just great tires, with the Worlds Best Drivers... But the talent of the drivers, is just to much... What a start, of course the 3500 pounds, make the start a little more controlled...

What a race,,, so far,,,, Poor John,,,, more Indy Andretti Luck... Of course Mario, made a big "withdrawal" from the "Lady Luck Bank Account" at the Speedway, this year... That was total pay back, by or from, "Lady Luck" to the Andretti family... And what a crowd, packed in like sardines, and everyone knows, every drivers name, car color, and car number..

IRL'ers can only hope for the day, that they put on a show like this at the Speedway, with the depth of the field, and talent to draw from...

I haven't watch a NASCAR race, with any "Heart" for the last 2 months, since Indy... This is a good one,,, for sure...

All this NASCAR bashing is just "whistling past the graveyard", or it is just sure ignorance to history, speed, talent, courage and the Speedway......

Dale's pit man, got hurt bad, what a shame, I feel, for the family, team, and Dale... Bad Deal...
    Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Regarding the "Narrow" Pit Road, I read this on Jayski's web site earlier today:
      Narrow Pit Road; F-1 road an option in the future? #25-Joe Nemechek has become a fan of Formula One at Indy, if for no other reason than envy. The Winston Cup veteran and No. 7 starter for today's race wants to use the pavement strip that F-1 uses for pit road. Nemechek contends Indy's oval-track pit road is too narrow at 39 feet wide. The F-1 pit road is 50 feet wide. "I want to ask (Speedway president) Tony George if we can use the F-1 road," Nemechek said. "The one we've got is so narrow that you've really got to be careful. It's one of the narrowest we've got." A narrow pit road requires precision on entry and exit. If a team pitting in the middle of pit road decides to take fewer tires than its competition, the driver must dodge incoming and outgoing traffic. But there are no plans to use the F-1 road. The Speedway has temporary bleachers there and has sold all of the tickets. Plus, the grandstands in the area closest to the fourth turn are permanent.(Indianapolis Star)(8-3-2003)

With these stock cars being larger, body wise, maybe Mr. Nemecheck has a pretty good idea here. Lets see if they follow up on it in the future.
      Last edited by doitagain; 11-13-2004, 12:19 PM.

Comment

It has been my opinion the past two years that they should get rid of those "Pit Road Terrace" stands. They are awful, and having spectators in that area only seems to hinder the goings on of the pit crews, etc. If you noticed, the area behind that was closed off for NASCAR, because teams work on wrecked cars there during the race...the spectators are literally trapped in those bleachers for the duration of the race. It's always been that way, even when the old yellow grandstand was there.

They could certianly do VERY well by ripping up the first few rows of the rest of the Tower Terrace, and give teams better room. I think the Pit Terrace Suites are perfect for that area, it keeps the people "up" off the ground, and out of the way, but still allows people to view from inside the track. If you've ever sat in the new temporary bleachers they put there, you can't see crap!.

If I saw what I thought I saw during the BY400, the Pit Road Terrace was very sparse, and the front several rows were empty! I say forget about them, and give the crew more space. There are PLENTY of better seats on property.
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

>>what was the comment by Dale Jarret's crew chief about only a one lane pit road?<<

He was whinning. He didn't want to admit that his driver made an error with a completely clear pit road.
          "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Re: Re: Clarification on Pit Lane re: BY400

Originally posted by BigWheelHawaii
            All this NASCAR bashing is just "whistling past the graveyard", or it is just sure ignorance to history, speed, talent, courage and the Speedway......

...I don't 'purposely' bash NASCAR, I am a fan, but I do voice my dis-pleasure in things I don't like or think are screwy.
            ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by LorenzoBandini
              >>what was the comment by Dale Jarret's crew chief about only a one lane pit road?<<

He was whining. He didn't want to admit that his driver made an error with a completely clear pit road.
              Exactly. Excuse us, but when the 'narrow' pits were built, accommodating NASCAR was the last thing on the minds of anyone. This is one place the gorilla can't shove around.

There were 42 other competitors who didn't seem to have a problem clearing the pit entrance. Don't like it, don't race here.
              www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Originally posted by LorenzoBandini

He was whinning. He didn't want to admit that his driver made an error with a completely clear pit road.
                Besides, wasn't he the pit crew "trainer" not the crew chief?

Driver error IMO
                SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring
                  Driver error IMO
                  I agree with that...

But I can see how they'd think it was narrow. Other tracks have pit walls on both sides, but none of them this fast I think. Michigan and Fontana have walls on both sides, but the road is wider. Places like Bristol, Martinsville, Phoenix, etc have wall on both sides, but they speed limits are like 35, it's a bit faster at Indy...places like Daytona, Charlotte, Talladega, etc., have no wall on the other side, and if things get crazy, guys will slide over into the grass to avoid collisions...

They way NASCAR pits their cars....you know....40 of them at the same time under yellow...makes for a wild situation...
                  Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring
                    Besides, wasn't he the pit crew "trainer" not the crew chief?

Driver error IMO
                    First. My thoughts go out to the injured crew member. Glad to hear he was released from Methodist Hospital.

Second. Sure seems tha Dale Jarrette was the only who blew it!!!

Driver Error, absolutly.

His crew cheif need to put the blame right where it belongs.

H$ll, Larry Foyt didn't spin out when pitting.

Comment

I thought he was talking about the width of the "official pit box", being 14 foot wide instead of the usual 17 foot box,,, no ???

Wasn't that what he was complaining about,,,, the pit box to narrow, or did I miss something...
                      Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

It's Indy. Take it or leave it.
                        www.ragingphotos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrage
                          It's Indy. Take it or leave it.
                          It really IS all good!

Comment

Well, making it back home late last night, I think I can add some insight because the accident happened right in front of me.

Indy's pit road may be narrower than some, but it's certainly wider than some, hey, it has two standard traffic lanes and the area for the pit boxes. I don't see the lane itself as the problem.

The problem was the person right behind the wheel of the 88 car, and he and his chief need to put the blame right where it belongs, on his shoulders. He came in too hot, forgot where he was pitting, locked up the brakes and the rear end came round. It was an accident that was completely his fault, not the racetracks.

Quite honestly, here's where NASCAR fails miserably, IMO. I can remember the days in the 500 when running over an airhose merited a strong penalty. and quite honestly, that's what should be doled out here. A fine, loss of points, perhaps even some time on the side and I bet some of these incidents would go by the wayside.

Ricky Rudd made a similar bonehead move at Atlanta some years ago, and IIRC it resulted in the death of a Bill Elliot crewman. IIRC, Rudd received no penalty, and should have.

Same with Jarrett, I don't care how nice people think he is, nor if he does those great UPS commercials.

This incident was completely uncalled for. You could have had a pit road 200 feet wide, and the result would have been the same.

Though, I will add, NASCAR deserves some of the blame. I clear cut rule-no one over pit wall until the car stops, might have helped. It should be that way in the IRL too, IMO.
                            "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Jarrett accepted blame and said it was all his fault.
                              SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X