Comparing the Indy 500 with the Brickyard seems like a cover:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing the Indy 500 with the Brickyard seems like a cover:

To avoid the real topic that deserves discussion: which is NASCAR's biggest race.

Those who are quick to put out on the table attendance figures please note that Daytona did not sell out last year. Even if it did, it would not be as well attended as the 400. The BY400 in some aspects is Cup's biggest event.

Why does this topic seemed to be avoided? Points you bring up for saying Daytona is bigger than the Brickyard also will apply to the 500.

Does TG and the IMS hold NASCAR's GEM?
    Get your head out of your past!!!

Big only in numbers.

Daytona is steeped in motorsports historyand is locigally NASCAR's biggest race.

Indy is twice as steeped in motorsports history, but that history does not belong to NASCAR.

They are only in town for 3 days, then they clear out without a trace. The buzz around the Indy 500 lasts for a whole month.

See my signature and you'll know what I mean
    - Make a note of the word 'Gobbly-gook'. I like it and I want to use it more often in conversation.
    --Yes, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by FenderFree
      Big only in numbers.

Daytona is steeped in motorsports historyand is locigally NASCAR's biggest race.

Indy is twice as steeped in motorsports history, but that history does not belong to NASCAR.

They are only in town for 3 days, then they clear out without a trace. The buzz around the Indy 500 lasts for a whole month.

​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Remember that when the first BrickYard was proposed TG's original purse was shot down.

ISC didn't want the Brickyard to pay so much more than Daytona.

Another great bonus for TG. He gets the race cheaper b/c Daytona doesn't have (or sell) as many seats.
        We flipped our finger to the King of England
        Stole our country from the Indians
        With god on our side and guns in our hands
        We took it for our own!

Comment

"Those who are quick to put out on the table attendance figures please note that Daytona did not sell out last year. Even if it did, it would not be as well attended as the 400."

Well, there are more seats at IMS than Daytona, so, you are correct...

Comment

Originally posted by FenderFree
            Big only in numbers.

Couldn't have said it better myself......
            If you can't win....Be spectacular!

Comment

In terms of attendance, of course the Brickyard 400 is bigger than the Daytona 500. Indy has, what, twice as many seats? I also heard those rumors (here at TF) that the Daytona 500 was not a sellout. I did not check out those rumors for factuality, because I really don't care if it was a sellout or not.

In terms of attendance, the Daytona 500 ranks third, behind the Brickyard 500 and the Texas 500 at TMS.

In terms of importance, tradition, history, and everything else, the Daytona 500 is without question NASCAR's biggest race.

Open wheel drivers look on an Indy win as their biggest achievment. For stock car drivers, that achievment is a Daytona 500 win.

Remember a few years back, when Darrell Waltrip won the Daytona 500? He was almost in tears, and was overcome by joy at winning NASCAR's biggest race. NASCAR drivers don't do that for any other race.
              If you do what you've always done...

you'll get what you've always gotten.

Comment

I think the Daytona 500 is NASCAR's biggest race. But, privately, the drivers seem to like having the Indy trophy. The drivers associate the history of the Speedway with winning the 400.

There is one thing that puts the drivers in awe of the Indianapolis Speedway. On race day, driving down that canyon of people.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X