Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks Like we lost another one to NASCAR...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks Like we lost another one to NASCAR...

From Jayski.com:

German Driver To Make Truck Series Debut: Alex Mueller is poised to become the first German driver to compete in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.. Mueller, 24, from Rees, Germany will drive the No. 23 RECARO Chevrolet Silverado at Indianapolis Raceway Park. "Though this will be my first NASCAR event, I've followed it on Eurosport TV since I was 14," said Mueller, who has tested with the Williams team in Formula One. "Jeff Gordon became my favorite driver to watch each week.. As my career expanded in Formula One cars, I still wanted to give NASCAR a try. I'm glad I've been given this opportunity to run in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series." Mueller will be sponsored by a host of his loyal sponsors, including RECARO, a world leading manufacturer of specialty automotive seats with its North American production facility in Auburn Hills, Mich.. RECARO was the production seat on the 1998 General Motors Lumina police vehicles and continues its success in sales and distribution programs with Freightliner, Peterbilt and Kenworth for drivers of medium and heavy-duty trucks.. RECARO currently holds 60 percent of the United States commercial bus market. Mueller's other sponsors are Bruderer, Turboservice.net and Energie Jeans. Mueller (pronounced Mu-l-er) has been preparing for his debut, running at Hickory Motor Speedway and Caraway Speedway the last two months in their late model truck divisions.. Mueller's racing background began at age eight when he raced go-karts in Germany.. He earned two karting championships in 1994 and competed in the International Formula 3000 Series in 1998 and 2002. "When I raced at Hickory, it was the first time I drove a race car with a roof over my head," said Mueller, who passed his IRL IndyCar Series driver's test at California Speedway in January.. "You can see better in the truck because you sit higher but I had to get used to not seeing my tires and knowing where they were compared to the wall."(Team Racing PR)(7-31-2003)

Another obvious failure of the TG vision.
    "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Hmmm, maybe he can take the NASCAR ride destined for JJ Yeley and JJ will end in the IRL

Is it May yet ?

Comment

Actually the irl really might have!!

Hines to race trucks
        You should avoid making yourself too clear even in your explanations -

Baltasar Gracian, Spanish philosopher

Comment

Actually, it's kind of sad, from all accounts this kid really impressed at his test.

Make all the jokes you want, and shake it off because he's not American, but the IRL did just lose one.
          Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

Man, you've totally bummed me out with this, bigred....
            "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Originally posted by BSJracing
              Actually, it's kind of sad, from all accounts this kid really impressed at his test.

Make all the jokes you want, and shake it off because he's not American, but the IRL did just lose one.
              Funny.

Here's what I found out, by checking his results at Hickory and Caraway:

He's running in the 2nd-tier division at Hickory, and 3rd tier at Caraway - Late Models are the top tier.

8 starts.

Best finish of 8th at Hickory, and 7th at Caraway.

Average field is 12-15 cars.

Awesome.

Now, I will give him props. He did go to run weekly shows. And he obviously now knows how tough they are. I'd guess he'll be back in single-seaters after a few tries at the stockers. He's probably at least a year away from winning a local late model feature.

And people think formulafeedercar racing is tougher than short tracks?
              "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                And people think formulafeedercar racing is tougher than short tracks?
                I think they're different types of racing.

You're talking about Mueller, right?

You think Mueller could dust the entire Cup roster (save 3 or 4) in an (equally prepped) IPS race at (let's say) New Hampshire?

I do.
                "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Oh no. Please. Say it ain't so.
                  "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

We have a very long list of drivers that have been in the series that are sitting out the year or activley looking for a ride. I don't get what we lost here. What we really lost were teams that could have the side lined drivers already in the series racing right now.
                    I'm feeling a troll here! I can't believe you really feel the fans and the IRL have lost something.
                    sa

Comment

Originally posted by mattndallas
                      I think they're different types of racing.

You're talking about Mueller, right?

You think Mueller could dust the entire Cup roster (save 3 or 4) in an (equally prepped) IPS race at (let's say) New Hampshire?

I do.
                      At New Hampshire? Hard to say, but there's precious little about the IPS that makes me think the driver has much to do with winning or losing.

And that "different type of racing" is exactly what Mueller is getting into. He's a mid to tailender at the 2nd tier at two weekly tracks. I think he'll get toasted in CTS.
                      "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                        At New Hampshire? Hard to say, but there's precious little about the IPS that makes me think the driver has much to do with winning or losing.

And that "different type of racing" is exactly what Mueller is getting into. He's a mid to tailender at the 2nd tier at two weekly tracks. I think he'll get toasted in CTS.
                        So do I.

I think just about any formula open wheeler would get toasted in any stockcar (truck) series, just as I feel any USAC/Stockcar trained driver would get smoked in F3000, Atlantics, or IPS (on flat tracks).

What was the WOO guy that almost put his car on the Brickyard Crossing driving range?

Different cars - different experience necessary.
                        "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

There are enough examples of good open-wheel drivers failing in NASCAR's top series, like the Lazarro debacle in BGN with Wells in 2000.

ASCAR has a better German oval racer, Roland Rehfeld. I doubt he'd get into the top-10 in ARCA though. Vergers, one of the best ASCAR drivers, did reasonably well in ARCA last year, but not well enough to land a full-time ride. He's back in Europe...

Comment

ride buyer..................

More foreign influence in Nascar.

This should be a Nascar topic since he has never raced in the IRL and the announcement is about racing trucks................

Gone..............
                            SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                            " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Which of course matt, explains Ed Carpenter, Aaron Fike, or even arguably Foyt IV.

Dollansky probably shouldn't have tried Indy, then again I question if that race should have even been started that day under those conditions.

Experience is great, but a guy who is a proven winner in a series certainly merits some interest, I would think.

And from what I see, what's this german guy won? A kart title? Doesn't say he did anything in F3000.

C Fittipaldi got a ride in NASCAR because he'd been a front runner at times in CART-he's getting smoked, even in ARCA.

I'll give you 5 guys I don't think he could dust in an IPS car-both Gordons, Stewart, both Labontes, then there's John Andretti, Dave Blaney-heck I'll bet Geoff Bodine could run with the guy.

I don't know if the IRL is missing anything, perhaps the IPS.
                              "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X