Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NC Budget Proposal Includes $8 Million for Rockingham

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NC Budget Proposal Includes $8 Million for Rockingham

    https://files.nc.gov/ncosbm/document...k_web_2019.pdf

    Rockingham Motor Speedway:
    $8 million Once renovated, “The Rock Speedway and Entertainment Complex,” a former NASCAR raceway and 10.5 million square foot complex, will be a world class events venue and attract additional investment and visitation to south central North Carolina. The state’s investment of $8 million to assist with needed infrastructure, including but not limited to, wastewater and water extension, a pedestrian bridge, repaving the speedway, upgrades to speedway facilities and dragway, bathrooms, and Grandstand repairs/erosion control are vital to completing this $11.45 million project. A non-state match of at least $1 for every $3 from the state is required to receive these funds. Grants are subject to grant oversight requirements, including, but not limited to, providing a project description, signing a grant agreement, and reporting on the use of funds in a form prescribed by the Department.
    Indianapolis 500s attended: 13
    Brickyard 400s attended: 13
    USAC/ WoO etc. races: 48

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ford Racing View Post
    https://files.nc.gov/ncosbm/document...k_web_2019.pdf

    Rockingham Motor Speedway:
    $8 million Once renovated, “The Rock Speedway and Entertainment Complex,” a former NASCAR raceway and 10.5 million square foot complex, will be a world class events venue and attract additional investment and visitation to south central North Carolina. The state’s investment of $8 million to assist with needed infrastructure, including but not limited to, wastewater and water extension, a pedestrian bridge, repaving the speedway, upgrades to speedway facilities and dragway, bathrooms, and Grandstand repairs/erosion control are vital to completing this $11.45 million project. A non-state match of at least $1 for every $3 from the state is required to receive these funds. Grants are subject to grant oversight requirements, including, but not limited to, providing a project description, signing a grant agreement, and reporting on the use of funds in a form prescribed by the Department.
    They have already announced a major Rock festival, that under a different name used to reside at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

    https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...neup-revealed/
    "A lot of information on the Internet quickly occupies niche spaces, for specialized audiences, which use it for their own purposes."

    Comment


    • #3
      Great news, and the music festival is a major score for the venue!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Does this mean eventually NASCAR returns to the Rock?
        I wouldn't mind seeing a track that already has two races, lose one so Rockingham can have a Cup date.
        "I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

        Comment


        • #5
          NASCAR, as in the soon to be (your name here, please, really) Cup or Xfinity series will never return to Rockingham.

          This all sound like some pie-in-the-sky local boosterism politician throwing good money after bad.

          Nothing will come of it. Like NWS, just let nature quietly reclaim it. It's dead, Jim.

          Comment


          • #6
            Even during NASCAR'S "boom" years, they had trouble selling out Rockingham and it's capacity wasn't nearly as much as many other tracks. It was a no-brainer to give up on it and run second dates at places like Phoenix or Ft. Worth.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Teej View Post
              Does this mean eventually NASCAR returns to the Rock?
              I wouldn't mind seeing a track that already has two races, lose one so Rockingham can have a Cup date.
              We can only hope.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

              Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

              Comment


              • #8
                It may be too little too late but perhaps it could have a renaissance of sorts if they played up the old school throwback card.

                I'm not saying steal darlingtons idea with the paintjobs, just sell it as racing that you don't get these days.
                Live like Dave

                Comment


                • #9
                  Even if it doesn't take big league racing, reclaiming it for other events and smaller races is a good investment for the area.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Glad to hear, it's a historic racing track that deserves to be saved.
                    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Teej View Post
                      Does this mean eventually NASCAR returns to the Rock?
                      I wouldn't mind seeing a track that already has two races, lose one so Rockingham can have a Cup date.

                      Should have never left the schedule. Was always a great rack with great racing. So many good finishes there, and multiple grooves that you could run. Such a great track.
                      World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

                      When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I wonder if Andy Hillenburg is slightly pi$$ed.
                        "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

                        John Kennedy at American University 1963

                        "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

                        A. Lincoln

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah, Andy put a lot of money and effort into that joint!!
                          Is it May yet?
                          Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by frodo13 View Post
                            Yeah, Andy put a lot of money and effort into that joint!!
                            At least it was his own, and not NC taxpayer money. As both will come to the same result.

                            It's dead, Jim.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Langhorne View Post

                              They have already announced a major Rock festival, that under a different name used to reside at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

                              https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...neup-revealed/
                              That article says the Prodigy will be part of the lineup. In the wake of Keith Flint's death, I wouldn't count on it.
                              "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

                              "If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X