Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR Champions week (awards banquet) moving to Nashville

https://racer.com/2019/03/06/nascar-...-to-nashville/

No more Las Vegas glitz, but perhaps Nashville is more appropriate for the series (closer to roots).
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Wow. Spin that one, nascar.

Comment

A good move. NASCAR is spread all over and they need to put more focus on their stronger markets.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
        Wow. Spin that one, nascar.
        Read it for yourself.
        https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...rds-nashville/

Nashville is a more stock car racing oriented area than Las Vegas...or New York preceding LV.

And Nashville probably ponied up more bucks than Las Vegas was willing to. Perhaps some linkage to Nashville race track revival, too.

Comment

The original idea of the banquet was to broaden the sport. In the well-run era, it was in NYC and the drivers and owners used it as a weeklong smoozing session with Madison Avenue, and the drivers were purposefully told to play down the R-word angle. As the series declined, the LV deal was just to try to draw reflected attention. Nobody in LV gave a darn.

So now it moves down to Nashville. In 10 years it will be at the Holiday Inn in Daytona Beach.

Comment

Manhattan to Las Vegas to Nashville?

Where to next? Florence, SC? Macon, GA?

Originally posted by SamC View Post
            Nobody in LV gave a darn.
            FWIW no one in NYC cared either. We're talking about a place where the giants of music and movies can walk down the street and no one bats an eye.

Manhattanites didn't care that Terry Labonte was in town.
            Last edited by KevMcNJ; 03-06-2019, 03:34 PM.
            Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

FWIW no one in NYC cared either.

Manhattanites didn't care that Terry Labonte was in town.
              Of course not. The locals general population was not who they were there for. They were there to work Madison Ave.

LV, on the other hand, was supposed to be about getting people interested in the sport, both locals and getting people to come out to LV to see the (very easy to meet) drivers. It didn't work.

I happened to be in LV the week of the banquet a few years ago. By accident, had no idea. I was in the sports book at Planet Hollywood, which was pretty full. A local radio guy had Helton on his show he was doing from the corner. There was ONE person paying attention. I was with a group of people and nobody else knew who he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                Read it for yourself.
                https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...rds-nashville/

Nashville is a more stock car racing oriented area than Las Vegas...or New York preceding LV.

And Nashville probably ponied up more bucks than Las Vegas was willing to. Perhaps some linkage to Nashville race track revival, too.
                I did read it. And I've been listening to the spin all day on SXM90.

It would be great, IMO, if this was somehow tied to the Nashville track getting a race weekend - anything that takes a race away from a cookie cutter, and to drivers track is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post
                  Of course not. The locals general population was not who they were there for. They were there to work Madison Ave.

LV, on the other hand, was supposed to be about getting people interested in the sport, both locals and getting people to come out to LV to see the (very easy to meet) drivers. It didn't work.
                  Who's going to fly to Vegas for a banquet when you can fly out a little earlier and see a race? Not me.

Also I imagine that most people who live in Las Vegas don't typically go to The Strip.

No one visits the things their town is known for unless guests from out of town are visiting. (See also the NASCAR HoF here in Charlotte )
                  Last edited by KevMcNJ; 03-06-2019, 05:26 PM.
                  Live like Dave

Comment

Who's going to fly to Vegas for a banquet when you can fly out a little earlier and see a race? Not me.

Also I imagine that most people who live in Las Vegas don't typically go to The Strip.

No one visits the things their town is known for unless guests from out of town are visiting. (See also the NASCAR HoF here in Charlotte )
                    I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrymgs View Post
                      I do.
                      So YOURE the guy.

I went once when it was relatively new and once last year.

Its not something I see a need to visit frequently.

Im sure most racing fans in the area have gone once or twice but Im sure most also don't go as often as you do.
                      Live like Dave

Comment

So YOURE the guy.

I went once when it was relatively new and once last year.

Its not something I see a need to visit frequently.

Im sure most racing fans in the area have gone once or twice but Im sure most also don't go as often as you do.
                        I knew you'd remember that, so I had to mess with you on that one.

We took our grandson years ago, and he had a blast.

We are due for a visit again soon. It's the only museum other than at Indy I have any interest in going to.

Comment

Im good for a couple years.

I understand they change things around but $22 a pop is a little steep just to see whats new since the last visit
                          Live like Dave

Comment

They should do like the NHRA,Xfinity Sreies and Gander Outdoors Truck Series and have the awards show the night after the final race of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by MillerOffy View Post
                              They should do like the NHRA,Xfinity Sreies and Gander Outdoors Truck Series and have the awards show the night after the final race of the year.
                              Xfinity and Gander Outdoors Truck series awards shows are not held the night after final race.
                              2018 last race was Nov 17 at Miami
                              2018 Xfinity and Trucks Awards Banquet was held Dec 7-8 in Charlotte.

Meanwhile, both the joint NASCAR Xfinity Series-NASCAR Camping World Truck Series banquet and the NASCAR Home Tracks Champions Awards return to Charlotte, N.C., in December, taking place Dec. 7-8 inside the Charlotte Convention Center at the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Last year was the first time the touring series awards and the Xfinity Series and Truck Series awards were presented in Charlotte on the same weekend.

Friday night will celebrate the champions and standouts from the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East and West, NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, NASCAR Whelen Euro Series, NASCAR Pinty’s Series, NASCAR Peak Mexico Series and NASCAR Whelen All-American Series, before the national series stars take to the stage on Saturday night for their honors.

NASCAR Awards Ceremony was.
                              2018 last race - AutoClub Nationals Nov 8-12 at Pomona
                              The 2018 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series Awards Ceremony will once again return to Hollywood’s Ray Dolby Ballroom at Hollywood & Highland on Monday, Nov. 12.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X