Backup car no engine. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup car no engine. Why?

Im sure theres a good reason for NASCAR not allowing teams to bring a backup to the track with the engine already in place but it sounds like a meaningless waste of time.

Someone please make this make sense for me
    Live like Dave

I believe it's due to engine rules that require the use of a single engine for multiple races. Therefore the engine must be swapped to the backup car.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

See? I knew there was a good reason for it. Thx.

That could be bad though. You hit a wall or another car hard enough and you will hurt the motor
      Live like Dave

Comment

I believe this started last season. It is to save on costs. I believe the engine builders go to the track with a few extra engines for the guys who need another one for their backup cars. Much cheaper in the long run than every team having an engine in their backup car and 90% of them never see the track.

IndyCar has been doing something similar for years during the month of May at Indy. Long gone are the days when teams roll out onto pit road with both the primary and "T" car and take hot laps in both of them.

Comment

Same stupid rule as with IndyCar. In the name of cost cutting.

Comment

Had to be done. Cup teams were showing up with an engine that was never going to be run in time trials or the race.

Theyd burn up the practice mule on Friday , install the hand grenade for their 2 timed laps on Saturday then put the race engine in before they went out for Happy Hour.

I don't know what a Cup engine goes for now but it costs more than many peoples' house.

They'd need three of them under the old rules every weekend.
            Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
              Had to be done. Cup teams were showing up with an engine that was never going to be run in time trials or the race.

Theyd burn up the practice mule on Friday , install the hand grenade for their 2 timed laps on Saturday then put the race engine in before they went out for Happy Hour.

I don't know what a Cup engine goes for now but it costs more than many peoples' house.

Does it matter in the end? Is the racing better today than 10-20 years ago? So now the procedures, cost and penalties of having a single installed motor and managing mileage have be been distributed to the entire field, instead of the teams that choose a different readiness path. Those costs show up, just not in the obvious $$ ledger. These types of rules are implemented with good intentions IMO, but I would argue futher seed power to the most powerful and established teams.

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post

This ended around 2004. Nascar mandated a single engine for the whole weekend back around that time.

Comment

There was for a short while even in-race engine changes. Didn't Junior Johnson's team change one in 8-9 minutes?
                  El Grillo Cantor

Comment

Originally posted by Cri Cri View Post
                    There was for a short while even in-race engine changes. Didn't Junior Johnson's team change one in 8-9 minutes?
                    5-6 minutes. (Garage-in to garage-out) Done as a demo for Car and Driver magazine. Never actually done in a race; NASCAR headed that one off before engines and specific crews were at the waiting, because it was coming.

The one-engine rule was also a result of qualifying grenades exceeding 900hp. Then the single-weekend engines, then multiple-week engines were at that mark, before further intake restrictions. The engine room guys march on.
                    "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

5-6 minutes. (Garage-in to garage-out) Done as a demo for Car and Driver magazine. Never actually done in a race; NASCAR headed that one off before engines and specific crews were at the waiting, because it was coming.
                      It was done in a race, I was watching it on TV. I was shocked. I'll never forget it.
                      "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

"One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It was done in a race. Less than 10 minutes
                        Live like Dave

Comment

Ten minutes later, the junk in the unflushed oil system killed the replacement and oiled the track down again. That had more impact on the ban than the cost of the replacement engine.
                          Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by KenK View Post
                            It was done in a race, I was watching it on TV. I was shocked. I'll never forget it.
                            Oh wow. Corrected.
                            "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
                              Ten minutes later, the junk in the unflushed oil system killed the replacement and oiled the track down again. That had more impact on the ban than the cost of the replacement engine.
                              After the Junior Johnson team did a sub-10 minute engine change during a race NASCAR made a rule that you had to run the same block for the whole race.

I was at Dover around 1990-ish and Earnhardt broke a camshaft very early in the race. Less than 100 laps in.

The RCR team spent the next hour or more building a new engine around the old block.

Dale Sr. made it back out several hundred laps down and made laps until the engine puked again.

In the end he was still a DNF but gained several spots in the final rundown.
                              Live like Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X