Daytona 500 sellout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona 500 sellout

Seems to be an annual event to announce a sellout the day before the 500. Is this a case of people waiting until the Xfinity race starts and then buying tickets to avoid having to buy a 2-race package ISC tries to get for the premium seats?

Interesting theory. Perhaps valid.

I did look a couple weeks back and there wasn't a lot to choose from for the 500. But the best seats in the house were not available for purchase unless you bought them for the weekend so you may be on to something.
    Live like Dave

Comment

Bought mine in June. Got free tickets to today’s Xfinity race.
      Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Comment

A website called "FanCam" does 360 degree HD photos of major sporting events. You can zoom in with amazing detail. I don't believe the 2018 Daytona 500 was done, but the 2017 race was as well as possibly some prior races. That 2017 race was also a "sellout", but the fan cam revealed many empty groups of seats. However, it was a very full crowd. I'd say it's certainly possible that ticket demand has fallen off since 2017 and Daytona will not allow a new fan cam for that very reason, but I have no basis on that.

I think one notable thing is that you don't see those large portions of empty seats at other major events that they've done the cam for, at least not the ones I have viewed. I'm not sure one can just attribute the Daytona empty seats to concessions, late arrivals, no shows, etc.

Comment

If you stop selling tickets, and destroy any remaining tickets, is that technically a sellout? Probably.

Comment

I'll say that 45,000 show up tomorrow.

Comment

They were advertising on TV as late as earlier this week that tickets were for sale

Comment

Originally posted by WatsonRoadster9 View Post
                Bought mine in June. Got free tickets to today’s Xfinity race.
                Free?
                Center Grove Trojans
                2008 5A Football State Champs
                2015 6A Football State Champs
                2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by 38special View Post
                  Seems to be an annual event to announce a sellout the day before the 500. Is this a case of people waiting until the Xfinity race starts and then buying tickets to avoid having to buy a 2-race package ISC tries to get for the premium seats?
                  Could be many fans are not getting down there until Thursday or Friday now instead of getting there there the previous Sunday like in the past. And also waiting on the weather forecast before getting the ticket. This is not the 1980's anymore, even if the race sells out, you can get a ticket on the secondary market for close to face value on raceday.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                    Free?
                    yep via my wife’s aunt. Very generous she is.
                    Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Indy carb day outdraws this race.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB View Post
                        Could be many fans are not getting down there until Thursday or Friday now instead of getting there there the previous Sunday like in the past. And also waiting on the weather forecast before getting the ticket. This is not the 1980's anymore, even if the race sells out, you can get a ticket on the secondary market for close to face value on raceday.
                        My first 500 was in 1985. I was young and still living at home so I always had a little extra money and I decided it was finally time to see it live.

In late 1984 I sent away (!) for ONE ticket and even by then all I could get was a seat way down low all the way down entering turn 1.

It was a terrible seat so I spent most of the race just walking around watching wherever I could. I recall very late in the race seeing people leaving just before the S/F line so I walked up and found better seats for the last handful of laps.

I didn't see much that day but I felt fortunate just to get a ticket. Any ticket.

The pickings were slim last week but you could still get very good seats up high in blocks of 4 or 5 together.
                        Live like Dave

Comment

They make all the seats random colors so the empty seats blend in and can look occupied.

Comment

I think they just take what is remaining and throw them away. Helps drive people to buying their tickets a day or so in advance.

There was a really good audience in attendance yesterday, but it wasn't a sell-out in the traditional sense.

Comment

Having spent a ridiculous amount of time waiting in line at the will call window for the Rolex 24 I’m surprised that staff can process a hundred thousand ticket sales.
                              Center Grove Trojans
                              2008 5A Football State Champs
                              2015 6A Football State Champs
                              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X