Daytona/Ken Squier Match Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona/Ken Squier Match Game

One of the things about NASCAR and the Daytona 500 that used to be interesting to me was when CBS Ken Squier would announce the starting lineups. Its something that is completely lost in today's racing world (although I think what they have done on the ABC Indy 500 telecasts lately showing Calabro announce the lineup has been good).

So with that in mind, for nostalgia's sake, here is a list of 1980's Cup drivers. And then play at home by listing the hometown and state that Squier would always give with said driver. Example "Ricky Rudd, from Chesapeake, Virginia".

Rick Wilson-
    Ken Bouchard-
    Tim Richmond-
    Ken Ragan-
    Bobby Hillin Jr-
    Greg Sacks-
    Ken Schrader-
    Derrick Cope-

And for some drivers, Ken just gave the state they were from. Dave Marcis was always "from Wisconsin". Mike Alexander was "from Tennessee". And Jimmy "Smut" Means was from Alabama.

You know, giving that information out right away in your telecast, when you've got casual fans or new fans watching you, is not a bad way for casual or new fans from say...Wisconsin to now have some rooting interest in your telecast to see how Dave Marcis is doing.

And another pet peave of today's telecast, they NEVER when doing the starting lineups ever show the actual CAR the driver is in. Another aspect of the old CBS telecasts that was very wise. Because cars matter when you are watching a race. Especially now with how paint jobs or to be prim and proper liveries change all the time, might be smart to start doing that more regularly again.

Ken Ragan was outta Unadella, GA because Squire made point of mentioning it. Derrick Cope was from Spanaway, WA, and Ken reminded us of that too. Fenton Missouri's Ken Schrader in the Donleavy machine was a USAC champion, and Rick Wilson was from Florida.

The effect Ken Squire's style had was when he pointed out that Greg Sacks (for instance) was from New York the viewer may have had a friend or relative who lives in New York. So even if the viewer hadn't heard of Greg Sacks before the viewer at least had a driver to root for due to the New York connection.

Squire running down the starting lineup was music. He did with infectious enthusiasm from the first row to the last. I can hear him now saying, "In Row 17 Canada's Trevor Boys and from Arizona Phil Barkdoll."

By the time he ran down the starting field it was clear to the viewer that drivers came from all over the country to compete, from Upland California's Joe Ruttman to Geoff Bodine from Chemung, New York and all points in between.

And it was "Alabama's Jimmy 'Sssssmut' Means"
    Last edited by DaveL; 02-16-2019, 01:07 PM.
    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Great observations. Even during the race. "...and SURGING to the lead is Chesapeake Virginia's Ricky Rudd." I too liked how the starting lineups had the face of the driver fading to a photo of the car. Squier was the best in the business.

I never found out where that guitar-driven starting lineup theme music came from. If Delta Force is revered here, that piece deserves its due.
      "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
        Great observations. Even during the race. "...and SURGING to the lead is Chesapeake Virginia's Ricky Rudd."

I also liked how CBS managed to tell everything you needed to know in a 15 minute pre-race.
        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Ken Squier is and always will be the voice of the Daytona 500 in my book

Best of the best.

His voice stressed the IMPORTANCE of the moment.
          Live like Dave

Comment

Now that I remember, Bobby Hillin jr. was outta Midland, TX. You may have seen him racing Mississippi's Lake Speed, or perhaps Texas Terry Labonte in the Billy Hagan machine.
            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Give the lead to Fitchburg Massachusetts modified champion Ron Bouchard.

A blown engine has sidelined Johnson City, TN campaigner Connie Saylor.

Where's Joey Lagano from again?
              "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Originally posted by dalz View Post
                Give the lead to Fitchburg Massachusetts modified champion Ron Bouchard.
                In the Beebe machine.

A blown engine has sidelined Johnson City, TN campaigner Connie Saylor.

Where's Joey Lagano from again?

Trouble! Caution is out for Minnesota's Blackie Wangerin.

Franklin Tennesee's Darrel Waltrip is in third behind is team mate Neil Bonnet of the Alabama Gang.
                The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                  Ken Squier is and always will be the voice of the Daytona 500 in my book

Best of the best.

His voice stressed the IMPORTANCE of the moment.
                  Absolutely. It was a BIG deal and he helped to make it that way.

Comment

Various nicknames through various eras for Earnhardt--

The Kannapolis, NC Gunslinger
                    The Iron Man
                    The Tough Customer
                    The Man in Black

Comment

Of course, Ken Squier originally did this on the MRN radio broadcasts, which I got to hear on KLAC 570AM in Los Angeles. His pre-race grid rundown was outstanding back then.

I used to like to hear: "The #40, out of Isleton, California, Harry Schilling" or the one occasion where he said: "Next, the #1, Slick Gardner of Buellton, California, in the Pea Soup Andersen's Mercury." If you knew of Buellton and Isleton in the early 70s, you'd realize how unfathomable it seemed for there to be guys racing at Daytona or Talladega from those towns.

Unfortunately, in his latter years on air, he either was getting some bad info or winging it, and came up with some wild errors out of the blue. Example, as Ernie Irvan won: "His dad, Vic, raced at places like El Cajon and El Toro." I mean it was nice to have Vic mentioned, as well as the tiny TQ midget track at El Toro, but Vic never ran there. His career was generally 400 miles to the north. It's not that I expected him (or anyone else) to know that, but finding out would have been nice. He was hardly alone, as announcers rarely seemed to know anything about the drivers from the Rockies westward past the listed hometown.

Oh, and it's Derrike Cope
                      "Versions of a story that are more tidy, compact, and camera-ready should generally be viewed as historically suspect." - Jackson Landers

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
                        Absolutely. It was a BIG deal and he helped to make it that way.
                        And now we have DW acting like some guy going to open mic night at the local comedy club because his friends told him hes funny
                        Live like Dave

Comment

Imagine how insufferable a D-Dub broadcast would be if it wasn't for unflappable pro (and Squier protege) Mike Joy.

Comment

Tough day for Wisconsin's Jimmy Sauter, let's go to Brock Yates in the pits.
                            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
                              Tough day for Wisconsin's Jimmy Sauter, let's go to Brock Yates in the pits.

Yates was always America's leading motorsports journalist, and Economaki was introduced as the Dean of motorsports journalism.

I have to throw out something from Squier's equally superb F1 announcing for CBS--as Michele Albereto was heading to the checkered at Detroit with Cosworth's last F1 win, Ken declared, "The turbos have gone down, in a street fight."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X