• Show
Clear All

• The State Of Nascar: We Probably Lost Our Way

Well, yeah...

https://www.news-journalonline.com/n...y-lost-our-way

Only took them 10+ years and a felony DWI to realize it
    Live like Dave

Comment

That is a good read. Thanks for the link.

Hey, I want to watch good racing. Not orchestrated racing. Phelps, please fix that.
      No signature required

Comment

I read a lot of blah blah blah. Until NASCAR talks about getting rid of stages, playoffs, contrived manufactured finishes, and something newer than an engine formula from 1973 they aren't changing anything that will attract fans. Bunching up cars into contrived packs, which will only lead to more Big Ones, won't solve anything either.
        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
          I read a lot of blah blah blah. Until NASCAR talks about getting rid of stages, playoffs, contrived manufactured finishes, and something newer than an engine formula from 1973 they aren't changing anything that will attract fans. Bunching up cars into contrived packs, which will only lead to more Big Ones, won't solve anything either.
          Likewise ... nothing new coming anytime soon. Same old BS.
          Once the TV contract expires and they are offered 10% of the current fee, things will pick up real quick.

Comment

I was laughing too hard to address this:

Skipping ahead to the third step of NASCAR’s current big-picture plans, a new model of “stock car” is on deck for the 2021 season. The “Gen-7″ cars, Phelps promises, will bring back more of the stock look and feel to NASCAR. And as a bonus, maybe lure additional manufacturers to the sport, which is currently occupied by just Ford, Chevrolet and Toyota.
            This gets back to the technical formula. How do you have a stock "look and feel" when, with the with exception of minor cosmetics and decals, one car is the same as the next? Further, quick, name a manufacturer not in NASCAR (other than Dodge) that has a car powered by a 5.7L NA pushrod V-8? The V-8 is quickly on the way out. V-6s and I4s these days produce as much or more power than V-8s did in the past, and do it with much better fuel economy.

I figuring my socks will be firmly in place by the time NASCAR makes their announcements. I hope I'm wrong.
            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

That he didn't say anything about dropping the stages and playoffs speaks volumes to me. Not that it would be a panacea, but I bet they'd get a ratings bump the second they dropped either.

Comment

It reads like just finding new ways to polish the **** that they created over the last decade or so

Comment

This gets back to the technical formula. How do you have a stock "look and feel" when, with the with exception of minor cosmetics and decals, one car is the same as the next? Further, quick, name a manufacturer not in NASCAR (other than Dodge) that has a car powered by a 5.7L NA pushrod V-8? The V-8 is quickly on the way out. V-6s and I4s these days produce as much or more power than V-8s did in the past, and do it with much better fuel economy.

I figuring my socks will be firmly in place by the time NASCAR makes their announcements. I hope I'm wrong.
                  Toyota doesn't have a V-8 in any car.
                  Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
                    Toyota doesn't have a V-8 in any car.
                    Yep. At least they have them in their trucks, for now.
                    The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

...quick, name a manufacturer......that has a car powered by a 5.7L NA pushrod V-8?

Fixed this for us all.....
                      No signature required

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive View Post
                        Fixed this for us all.....
                        The Dodge Challenger has a 5.7L V-8 Hemi. The V-8s in Mustangs and Camaros are not 5.7L.
                        The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

And Ford hasn't sold a pushrod V8 in what, 15 years?
                          It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

On the long list of things hurting Nascar I believe the V-8 engine is significantly down the list.
                            Center Grove Trojans
                            2008 5A Football State Champs
                            2015 6A Football State Champs
                            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                              On the long list of things hurting Nascar I believe the V-8 engine is significantly down the list.
                              It doesn't help. How do you sell the sport of stock car automobile racing to potential younger fans when said stock car automobiles are powered by engines from the early 1970s?

It's a piece of the puzzle, they all add up. No one thing is the fix. Even if it's (arguably) down the list, it's still on the list. It can't be ignored.
                              The Ayn Rand of Indycar

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X