Daytona Safety Fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona Safety Fence

They were crowing about how "it did it's job" yesterday when the practice wreck hardly touched the catch fence and just now a window flew off of a truck, almost hit the flagman and sailed right OVER the catch fence into the stands area. Just shows that you can only plan in so much safety...

Race cars will always show you the weakest link

I have pictures from the first race I attended at Daytona in 1985

and to look at the catch fence they were using back then is just frightening
    Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by KevMcNJ View Post
      Race cars will always show you the weakest link
      Yup. I hope no one gets hurt this weekend. I always get nervous here, and at 'Dega...The last number of years it's gotten a lot worse. One of these days someone is going to get bit, and bit bad.

Comment

I'm afraid your right.

Comment

I was happy the flagman was looking the right way. As I'm sure Kev will tell you, sometimes you feel like a target up there. I was lucky over a period of about 30 years. Had a flywheel just miss me once at Louisville and didn't know it until we found it stuck in a wheel fence pole about a foot above my head. Lots of little dings and pings, but the only injury was a wheel weight at Milwaukee in an ASA practice session. Felt a sting in my right thigh, and didn't pay much attention until the session was over. Saw blood on my pants leg, and the wheel weight was still stuck there and I pulled it out. They asked me in the treatment center what happened, I told them that this NASCAR hot dog from Franklin, Tennessee must have had his wheel weights on the outside of his chrome wheels. That was the car going by when I felt the sting. He apologized years later when he did the foreword for my book.

Oh yeah, the next day for the race, they had big "Valvoline" signs up on the front and sides of the flagstand. I was asking where that stuff was on Saturday.

We always said that if OSHA had paid a lot of attention, all of us starters would have been wearing full-face helmets and body armor.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X