X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whelen North Mod finale on tonight

From Thompson, on Versus @ 8:00 PM.
    Northern Tour title is up for grabs.

I was out of town for a few days and didn't post a reminder for the Southern finale, hopefully y'all had your Tivo's set last week.
    If you didn't, the race was held on the Mickey Mouse 1/4 mile "oval" for the legends cars at Charlotte. IMHO, a horrible place to decide a championship, especially when you redraw the top 10.
    The top 4 were less than 45 points apart and when the dust cleared Burt Myers dominated the race and became the 2010 Whelen Southern Tour champion as all three drivers ahead of him had problems.
    No. 1 & 2 in points (James Civalli and Andy Seuss) got caught up in a wreck when Jason Myers had trouble getting around Frank Fleming and #3 L.W.Miler (who "accidentally" turned Civalli early in the race) got bogged down in the pack.
    “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
    I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
    I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Good race but Whelen Mods weren't the best show of the weekend at Thompson. Super Mods fly and the NE Midgets put on a good show as well. My first trip to the world series weekend and while a lot of it was stocker geared (wish they had a couple more Midget/Sprint type divisions), it won't be my last time. How can you not enjoy 3 days of racing w/ 15 different features?

Comment

Originally posted by jandj View Post
      From Thompson, on Versus @ 8:00 PM.
      Northern Tour title is up for grabs.

I was out of town for a few days and didn't post a reminder for the Southern finale, hopefully y'all had your Tivo's set last week.
      If you didn't, the race was held on the Mickey Mouse 1/4 mile "oval" for the legends cars at Charlotte. IMHO, a horrible place to decide a championship, especially when you redraw the top 10.
      The top 4 were less than 45 points apart and when the dust cleared Burt Myers dominated the race and became the 2010 Whelen Southern Tour champion as all three drivers ahead of him had problems.
      No. 1 & 2 in points (James Civalli and Andy Seuss) got caught up in a wreck when Jason Myers had trouble getting around Frank Fleming and #3 L.W.Miler (who "accidentally" turned Civalli early in the race) got bogged down in the pack.
      Interesting insights on the Southern finale here:
      http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/...ali-still.html
      Civali admits to attempting to intentionally punt L.W. Miller to ruin his chances at the title. Sounds like Bowman Gray doesn't hold a monopoly on the "Madhouse" mentality.
      I have to say, I was terribly disappointed with the TV coverage of the Charlotte race. No post-race comments from the three guys who lost their shots at the title. In light of the animosity referenced in the above link, it would seem that those would've been the most important interview to get, as they would've shed light on the most important story of the race.

Comment

Shawn does a great job of Mod coverage, his blog & thechromehorn.com are how I keep up w/Nothern Mod racing.
        I've rewatched the tape and (to me, anyway) I agree with the comments in Shawn's blog that say Civalli's early spin began with him getting loose and ended when LW decided to keep his foot in the throttle and turn him. I think James decided at that point "If I can't win, I'll be damned if you are" and felt a little payback for LW was in order. LW didn't win many friends this year (which I know isn't the point of racing), he hit just about everyone at one time or another this season.
        There was also mention of something that I alluded to in an earlier thread about the Tri-County race won by Myers. Several Mod boards I frequent had posts from guys who were in the pits at that race and the claim was made by several that Myers "tire problem" were due to chicanery in the pits and there was nothing actually wrong with the tires that came off. That tire change is what won the race for Myers.
        There's been a lot of criticism of Southern Tour officiating this year and there may be some truth in the claim that Burt pulled a few strings to end up Champ.
        I also agree that although it's great to see Mods on TV, Vs. coverage has been pretty spotty at times. If you weren't at the race or checked the results on-line the race you saw on Tv was a lot different than the one the fans at the track saw.

Comment

Agreed on all counts, jandj.

Regarding the Versus coverage -- yes, it's been hit-and-miss, but actually the lousy coverage of the Charlotte finale was on Speed. I think Speed also had the Bristol race...and/or maybe one of the Loudon races. Can't recall for sure.

One aspect of the coverage of the mods this year that disappointed me is the fact that there were lots of conflicts to exploit -- opportunities to "stir the pot" -- and the networks instead chose to gloss over those and sanitize the presentation. Goes to the whole "seeing a different race on TV" comment that you made.

Watched the Thompson race on the DVR last night. Not as dramatic as I hoped, but some position-swapping in the last few laps is nothing to complain about. Looks like a good crowd was on hand. Congrats to Santos and Garbarino. I was rooting for the kid all year, but have to admit that part of me was hoping that "the Rick Mears of the modifieds" would snag title number eight.

Comment

You're right, I had brain fade on the TV coverage!
            I think NASCAR has a hand in the production which may explain the sanitizing, I've heard they were't particularly happy with what they saw on "Madhouse".
            IIRC, Speed had both NHIS races, plus Bristol and the Southern finale.
            Santos did a good job this year in the Missile, my current favs are Preece in "New Blue" and Civalli, as he drives for the Hills (the only Southern based team running the Northern Tour).For as young as he is, Preece is a helluva driver. With another 5 laps or so he may well have ended up the winner at Thompson. 2nd was pretty good for starting 28th!

Tour's are done, now for the North-South Shootout @ Concord.I was hoping to go this year since I missed last year but some family commitments reared up and put the kibosh on that plan.
            Concord has replaced the old Martinsville doubleheader as the biggie to end the year, be interesting to see if Burt can make it 3 in a row.

As an aside, my comments about Myers maybe being devious at Tri-County aren't intended as a knock on him, you do what you have to to win. He's not the only guy who may have pulled a fast one and gotten away with it - and that includes Cup, Indy cars and just about every series under the sun.
            They have officials in every pit. If they don't do their job it's on them!

Comment

Preece is surely a talent. Maybe a little raw still -- as he admitted, he messed up at Loudon and almost cost Santos the Tour title in the process. Other than that bobble, he's holding up well in a pressure situation. No question, if the Thompson finale was a 155 lapper, he would've been in victory lane; he was flying at the end.

I, too, have read that Burt wasn't the only one to have "intentional" tire problems at Tri-County. They're just doing what they feel they have to do to win within the rules as they're written, I suppose.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X