Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN 30 for 30: Tim Richmond - To The Limit

Tim Richmond Featured in Tuesday Night ESPN '30 for 30' Film:
    Former NASCAR driver Tim Richmond, a star of the sport before his death from AIDS in 1989, will be the subject of a documentary airing on Tuesday, Oct. 19, at 8:00 pm/et on ESPN as part of ESPN Films' critically acclaimed film series 30 for 30 Presented by Cadillac.

Natural. Rock star. Outsider. In the 1980s, race car driver Tim Richmond lived his life the way he raced cars – wide open. Born into a wealthy family, Richmond was the antithesis of the Southern, blue-collar, dirt-track racers who dominated NASCAR. He also was a flamboyant showman who basked in the attention of the media and fans – especially the attention of female admirers. Nevertheless, it was Richmond’s on-track performances that ended up drawing comparisons to racing legends. And in 1986, when he won seven NASCAR races and finished third in the Winston Cup series points race, some believed he was on the verge of stardom. But soon his freewheeling lifestyle caught up to him. He unexpectedly withdrew from the NASCAR racing circuit, reportedly suffering from double pneumonia. In reality, the diagnosis was much more dire: He had AIDS. Richmond returned to the track in 1987, but he was gone from the sport by the next year as his health deteriorated. He spent his final days as a recluse, dying on August 13, 1989, at the age of 34. Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Rory Karpf will examine the life and tragic death of one of NASCAR’s shooting stars.
    http://30for30.espn.com/film/tim-ric...the-limit.html

NSSN Review: http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.co...-to-the-limit/

I have been looking forward to seeing this since I first learned it was in production.

Same here, my DVD recorder will be ready.

I just read his autobio last month.
    "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Autobio? When did he do it?
      Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
        Autobio? When did he do it?
        Sorry biography

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

No worries, thanks! Is it the Poole book? Is it a must have, ok, or waste of time? I know Jimmy Johnson's stories about Tim in the Golenbock books are enlightening, if they're true.

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post
            No worries, thanks! Is it the Poole book? Is it a must have, ok, or waste of time? I know Jimmy Johnson's stories about Tim in the Golenbock books are enlightening, if they're true.
            Yes it was the Poole book.

It was very good and very easy reading. I dont read many books but I read the entire book on my flight home from Salt Lake City. I got it for $5 on amazon.com

I recently traded for some DVD's of Tim's victories. I wish I could have seen him race in person.

I ordered a Folgers Tim Richmond metal koosie for me.

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

I swear I saw him bang wheels and get up in the air with Bobby Unser in T3 at the 1980 Indy 500, but no one believes me.
              Last edited by atrackforumfan; 10-19-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar...&source=JAYSKI

good article

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
                  That is excellent, thanks for posting that!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule View Post
                    That is excellent, thanks for posting that!
                    Good stuff.

If you aren't familiar with the Golenbock books, Jimmy Johnson meant "whores" in the cash-on-the-barrelhead sense. 'They didn't want anything from him but money.' It just blew my mind that an apparently socially adept man who could point at any woman in the nightclub would still want to reduce it to that level.

I wonder how many warning shots Tim's family fired at the Nascar Media Group rep when he pulled up in front of the house.

Comment

I thought this show was past 30 epsiodes. I'll be watching it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Yanks12 View Post
                        I thought this show was past 30 epsiodes. I'll be watching it. Thanks.
                        It's past 30 repeats. Way past.

Comment

He was an idiot...

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan View Post
                            He was an idiot...
                            Different era Good Sir.

Im sure theres still race cars drivers boinking anything with a pulse in 2010

Some of them are probably names everyone here would know

But theres a bunch more handlers and cleaner-uppers around now I bet.

Winston Cup 1985,86,87 is nothing at all like Sprint Cup 2010. The magnifying glass was much smaller back then

They may have been larger than life to us but they still could go out and do whatever they wanted to do in most states and not be recognized or noticed

Also being known as a swinger in 2010 isnt as cool as it was in the 70s & 80s.

I know nobody on the inside of big time American motorsports but Im sure theres a driver or two that everyone knows to be trouble with a capitol T

And yes he was an idiot

But man he could put on a show!!!
                            Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan View Post
                              He was an idiot...

Then there were a lot of "idiots" back in the day... just because the heroes of our time had a lifestyle that did not mean a death penalty does not mean they lived a life much different than Tim Richmond lived.
                              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X